Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

It would only be important to me to know who did what if there was a qualitative difference between the two (SH&KG)
    But there isn't so it doesn't.

2. blue

blue Mastering rules

...except if different equipment and/or different mastering style was used but it still sounds the same ;-)

ok, that's unlikely ;-)

so, probably same equipment (KG's was used then and now) and very similar mastering style. Probably that's it. Everything else would still be interesting to me, even if I hear no difference ;-)

3. j.r. Bob dobbs

j.r. Bob dobbs New Member

I would trade the gorgeous gatefold covers for vinyl without the RTI pressing issues. I think the MM Blue Notes sound amazing, but of the 9 I've purchased, 3 have had pressing issues, and half have had some sort of scuff, scratch or other cosmetic anomaly out of the packaging. I think records with a 50.00 price tag should have a higher success rate than that. I can see why people are shelling out more and more for the supposedly sonically inferior Japanese Blue Note pressings. I've purchased nearly 20 of the Japanese pressings over the years and they've never been anything but flat and super quiet.

2xUeL likes this.
  4. blue

blue Mastering rules

Confirmed. I bought and sold around 100-200 japanese Blue Notes during the last 10 or so years until the better reissues came up.

Not a single one failed pressingwise as no one of MFSL or other international audiophile or japanese issues of that time. I even don't remember a pressing problem of normal LP's and I had/have a lot.

It seems pressing problems started with the high priced year 20xx reissues, that shouldn't have them at all.

5. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Music Matters rocks! I own : Art Blakey : A Night In Tunisia, H.Hancock: Emperyean Isles, Jackie McLean: Bluesnik, Horace Silver :Cape Verdean Blues, and Hank Mobley: Soul Station and they all sound fantastic!! I also have a bunch of the AP 45 Fantasy series and those are great as well... I will be buying more of these as I can afford to buy them .. I am also a subscriber to the Prestige Mono series @AP which Kevin handles .. and I agree .. even without SH it sounds very similar to KG/SH together.. they obviously follow the same sound philosophy!! Thanks guys for great sound!! :)

JimSmiley likes this.
  6. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

RTI had some real production issue in the past. I think that's part of the reason Chad started QRP, and everything I have pressed by them is excellent. RTI seems to have gotten better -- based on the MusicMatters issues -- but not perfect. I have had some MM defects. I think right now QRP is the best and most reliable source for audiophile pressings.

2xUeL likes this.
  7. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I wish I had your same experience, with QRP, but I still have the same 30% defect rate as I ever had with RTI or Pallas. I just returned my copy of the Reference Recordings 45 rpm Mozart pressed by QRP -- side 1 was so noisy and I spent so much time cleaning it and trying to get it to play decently that I never got around to hearing the other 3 sides before sending it back. Side 1 was also pressed off center.

I will say that noise is less often a problem with QRP records, but they have introduced a new defect to the mix -- dish-warps. I can't count the number I have returned where on one side, the edges curve up so severely that the only contact the vinyl makes with the turntable is the spindle. It never touches the mat. The thing about these is, it is obvious just by looking at the record edge-on, so they could be weeded out before they ever get put in the covers. Noise or ordinary warps are not apparent until you play the record, but dish warps are obvious right out of the sleeve, and considering it takes about 3 seconds to look at it, it should never make it to the buyer. I've also had far more off-center records from QRP than other places.

Other than being a subscriber to MM, I've cut way back on my reissue buying, as it's just too frustrating constantly returning things.

e630940 likes this.
  8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Just got in the latest releases of Lee Morgan's "The Gigolo" and Donald Byrd's "Royal Flush". Just listened to the "The Gigolo" and wow...Have only heard this on cd before. What an amazing job MM did on this one. And the pics on the inside are gonna blow some people away. "Royal Flush" later tonight. Been a subscriber from the beginning and have every title, but "The Gigolo" is already one of my favorites.

9. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Please follow-up with your thoughts on Royal Flush!

10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Coming up.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Well "Royal Flush" is outstanding as well. I love Byrd's tone. One of my favorite players. Have never heard this one before. His playing in "I'm A Fool To Want You" is spine tingling. And a young Herbie Hancock is almost Bill Evans like on this one. I like the Morgan a bit more overall, but this is a great continuation in this perfect series. For my money MM continues to be THE reissue series that all others should aspire to in every way.

12. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Oh man, I can't wait till mine get in, which should be very soon. I particularly like the Byrd albums with Pepper Adams, esp on these MM reissues like The Cat Walk. That baritone sax sounds so deep and rich. Killer stuff.

13. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Question for you record recording experts.
    I have a copy of MM's Lee Morgan: Search For New Land, which is awesome.
    But the title track is 15:45.
    How did the folks at MM manage to get a song of that length onto one side of a 45 rpm record???

14. Josquin des Prez

Cutting technology has gotten a lot better. When creating a master the cutter can look ahead and optimize the use of space. on a record side.

15. Josquin des Prez

+1

My shipment just showed up this afternoon. I hope to give them a spin in the next couple days.

16. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Inspired by this thread again, I just placed an order for Speak No Evil, Adam's Apple, and Empyrean Isles. My wallet hates this forum.

:cheers:

17. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

your wallet hates it, but your spirit and soul will love it.

18. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Three of my favorite titles by Music Matters, you are in for a ride Joe :faint:

19. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Historical stuff. Like owning fine rare books. You will never regret owning any of these titles.

Campbell Saddler likes this.
  20. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yeah Pepper's all over this too. Huge foghorn tone. Makes me look up at the speakers when he starts blowing.

21. jazdoc

jazdoc Forum Resident

"Royal Flush" is already one of my MM favorites.

22. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

You won't regret buying these three titles.

23. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

About to pull the trigger on MM Lee Morgan 'Candy' @Acousticsounds.com 10% off sale.. anyone own this one.. looks to be a rare early release of his.. and I have heard some of the selections from allmusic.com and Pandora , I like the music.. it being a Mono release... how is the sound quality? Just curious... Thanks....I love all of the MM releases I own so far....!

24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

You'll love this too. A classic. Hard to fathom that Morgan was only 20 when he recorded it. MM has done a great job releasing stereo titles where available but the relatively few mono only stuff they've released really swings. "Candy" is no exception.

25. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Thanks for all of the support, guys. Hahah, I have no doubt these will be keepers.

Just curious, is the Acoustic Sounds sale over? I just noticed that they have Judgment in stock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.