Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jul 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

una mas is avail. in this series, jesus. tell me; if i have a mint NY USA stereo, do i still need the 45rpm. is the difference 'night and day'?

La Roca likes this.
  2. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

what abt the sidewinder- lee morgan- if i have a M+++ NY usa stereo, and i still want the best sidewinder posible- do i absolutely need the 45rpm

3. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

I sold my Liberty pressing of Una Mas because I was happy with the MM pressing. Many MM pressings sound better to me. In this case, I wouldn't just say it was better, it sounded different. The Liberty had some sizzle on the top end, and it sounded a bit more bright. Where as the MM pressing seemed more balanced. The Liberty sounded noticeably louder too. Didn't care for that. I control the volume knob on my stereo.

The 45rpm version of the Sidewinder is from AP, not MM. It sounds great, but if you're happy with your pressing, then keep it. There are many more titles I would drop 50 quid on before the Sidewinder, which is wonderful. I'd get something like Basra by Pete La Roca or Judgement by Andrew Hill over the Sidewinder. That's assuming that you don't have them of course. It's always better to get the titles you don't have first. After you're done with that, then look at replacing titles with superior pressings. Just my opinion.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  4. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

The Mobley set includes the alternate takes to fill up the sides.

Hamhead likes this.
  5. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Another couple of favorites of mine, both musically and sonically, are Paul Chambers Quintet, and Gil Melle's "Patterns in Jazz." Highly recommended.

6. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Listened to Mode For Joe and Judgment tonight for the first time, and of course, neither disappointed. Mode For Joe sounds great, and I love the lineup with so many great musicians. It never sounds too busy; it's really well thought out. Lee Morgan sounds so great throughout, as does Paul Chambers, but Henderson is easily the star for me. He just crushes it, throughout the album.

Judgment is a different animal, very cerebral, and sounds great in its own right. Andrew Hill is super creative, and I love how unpredictable it is. It's so nice to have options like this one and Inventions & Dimensions available, considering that there are so many straight ahead bop titles that have been released during the series.

mikeyt, ssmith3046 and hvbias like this.
  7. MadFloyd

MadFloyd Forum Resident

Slightly off topic, but I've never had success re-gluing a cover. What type of glue do you use? Nothing I've found works...

8. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

acid-free archival quality glue.

9. MadFloyd

MadFloyd Forum Resident

Much appreciated.

10. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Just a very thin bead of glue on one side only...along the flap.

11. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Paul Chambers played on Mode for Joe? You can actually hear the bassist on this MM pressing? Inquiring minds!

12. johnnypaddock

D'oh... I meant Joe Chambers, the drummer. Ron Carter plays bass on this album.

JimSmiley likes this.
  13. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Juts got, Lee Morgan: Search for the New Land, #'D ltd edition MM 45, I pulled the trigger, since I thought they had totally sold out at elusivedisc.com a few weeks back, but I guess they found more in the "warehouse" 79.99, LOL! I am glad I was able to get a copy...It's definitely on my must have list.. ! These MM titles that I have so far, are outstanding!! The Wife says no more until Rocky Mountain, then I can get more LP's!! (within reason!) LOL.. I guess we vinyl dudes have an expensive hobby and you have to pick and choose what you like best for the $$!!! they have Grant Green: Matador , back in stock, but too rich for my blood @$200.00! , even though I like Mr. Green's sweet guitar ! (AP 45 rpm Idle Moments is great , and cheaper!) :)

hvbias likes this.
  14. Michel Jazz

Michel Jazz Forum Resident

Indeed Idle Moments is great and cheaper, but its NOT 'Greater' than the Matador :whistle:!
    I really can not understand why they did not released it in the sixties...?

MikeJedi likes this.
  15. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Any recommendations for a title with a great drum performance/sound?

16. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Ike Quebec's Easy Listening is a must own IMO.

17. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Dexter Gordon's "A Swingin' Affair" with Billy Higgins, Wayne Shorter's "Adam's Apple" with Joe Chambers, and "The Magnificent Thad Jones" with Max Roach all have amazing drum sound. Also, any Music Matters with Anthony Williams seems to have particularly excellent drum sound.

smctigue and EL34 like this.
  18. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Excellent, thanks.

19. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

I'd say Elvin Jones "Genesis." It's a fantastic recording.

smctigue and JimSmiley like this.
  20. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

Yes, definitely, good call. Also, I left out one of my very favorites for drum sound: Grant Green's "Street of Dreams" with Elvin Jones on drums has fantastic sound, esp on the drums. Demo quality for sure. Another one with Joe Chambers on drums is Bobby Hutcherson's "Happenings," which has outstanding sound.

Unfortunately, most Art Blakey albums actually don't seem to have the best drum recording quality. At least not as good as the other albums I've mentioned. All IMO, of course. Not sure why that is. Maybe his style of playing was particularly hard to capture.

smctigue and Parkertown like this.
  21. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Genesis is so explosive. The bass drum in particular was captured very "hot". It'll knock you back in your chair, for sure. It almost feels like an Elvin Jones solo performance, but there are definitely tunes there (with some beautiful, haunting performances by the horn players).
    The drum sound on Street of Dreams puzzled me a bit. I can't put my finger on it, but it didn't appeal to me FWIW.
    +1 on any title involving Joe Chambers
    +1 on any title involving Tony Williams.

MikeJedi, smctigue and Parkertown like this.
  22. johnnypaddock

Yes, agreed on Joe Chambers and Tony Williams. I couldn't believe How good the drums sounded on Mode For Joe when I listened the other night.

I love how Blakey plays with fury, but I definitely think he must have presented a challenge to Van Gelder in the studio. The drums on the opening track on Free For All is distorted, but still sound awesome to me.

GreatTone likes this.
  23. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

Thanks for the help everyone! This morning, to get the ball rolling, I ordered:

AMMJ 4232Wayne Shorter/ Adam's Apple
    AMMJ 4205Pete LaRoca/ Basra
    AMMJ 4369 Elvin Jones/ Genesis

Thanks again.

Parkertown likes this.
  24. johnnypaddock

Those are some GREAT titles... enjoy!

25. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Yep...; the bass drum blows me away...in a good way. :agree: :edthumbs:

smctigue and johnnypaddock like this.