Music stores in Lima, Peru?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by sfaxa, May 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sfaxa

sfaxa Active Member Thread Starter

Headed to Peru in June (Lima and Cusco). Any good record stores in Lima?

2. sfaxa

No one? ;-)

3. I would ask in the main forum.

4. sfaxa

I'll figure it out once I get there :laugh:

5. Elgrillo

Elgrillo Well-Known Member

Hi sfaxa, in lima there is a record store called Phantom music, the main store i think its in miraflores district, in front of the Park Kennedy ( parque Kennedy). There you can find foreing rock music , snd yes its the biggest sbrand store in Lima. The buisness ita not going so well because of piracy in Peru. so Record stores are tiny there.

Also you can go to Jr. Quilca in center of Lima. There is a place that sells Used vinyl records. Prices arent cheap, and most of the vinyls are in bad shape, but if you dig in you cand find nice treasures, psicodelic cumbia from peru, and musica criolla also.

I hope this works for you, in Cusco I realy dont know if there is somthing interesting (talking just about record stores). Have a nice trip in Peru , and enjoy!

Gonzalo

sfaxa and zphage like this.
  6. sfaxa

Thank you! I will be staying in Miraflores while in Lima. Is Jr. Quilca safe during the day?

Have you heard of Galerias Brasil (Av Brasil 1275), Jesus Maria?

7. Elgrillo

Yes during the day its pretty safe, maybe ask the taxi man to leave you in front of this Type of mini store. In the el centro de Lima you have to be careful always , but i wouldn't say its unsafe. At least if you stay in the right streets. Oh and yes gallerias Brasil its also a good place to see, maybe better than Quilca. What type of music are you searching?

Cheers

Gonzalo

8. Elgrillo

Ah , and if you go to quilca, just don't go too early in the morning, the are really lazy people that start "working" a little bit late , Better if you go around 2pm.

In miraflores i know that in Larco there is a little gallery

9. sfaxa

No particular kind of music...just exploring :)

I appreciate your replies!!!! Looking forward to visiting Peru.

10. Elgrillo

There is also a relatively new store that sells Vinyls and type of toy rarities, and comics.

It's also in Miraflores, "OLD BOX " in Av Larco 1036 int 101 Miraflores. The owner its a peruvian Young actor. A really nice guy, but i don't think hi will be there ( he is pretty busy). Maybe its too expensive , i never went there. In Peru its hard to find good and cheap Vinyls. Actually I leave in Paris and here is an other story. I can find a lot of nice thing "pas chere" in the street flea markets , and in spring and summer , there are a lot around Paris.

Good Luck in your findings

G.

sfaxa likes this.
  11. sfaxa

Thanks, Gonzalo. I went to Phantom in Miraflores (on Larco) as well as Via Music in Miraflores (on Larco). Picked up some interesting (to me) CDs.

Went to Old Box a couple times and picked up some Peruvian pressings of 80's new wave (Alphaville, the Vapors, etc). Although small, I enjoyed Old Box quite a bit. I thought the Old Box prices were fair -- around S/.30 or $10 each for what I picked up.... "Hip" music was more expensive.

Enjoyed Peru very much!

-S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.