Musical fidelity power amps anyone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Dec 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

thanks as always Agitater.

2. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This blurb from 2013 caught my eye- although no full review is available and the new model is the M6S PRX.

"Class A Rating, 2013"
    Musical Fidelity M6PRX: $3495 $$$
    This dual-mono, class-A/B design is rated to deliver 260Wpc into 8 ohms from four pairs of bipolar output transistors per channel, using circuitry based on Musical Fidelity's flagship Titan. Much more modest in size and appearance than the massive Titan, the M6PRX measures 17.5" W by 5" H by 15.5" D, offers balanced and single-ended inputs, has choke-regulated power supplies, and comes in a choice of silver or black faceplate. "This is one of the sweetest-sounding, most fatigue-free solid-state amplifiers I have met up with," said Sam. His solid-state reference. (Vol.35 No.6)

I was hoping to back this up with real world use experiences...

Dennis0675 likes this.
  3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That silver face is more attractive, the knob is also less contrasting. Still, a very compact unit.

4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

That is compelling.

5. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

That amp would love your speakers. No worries about that amp. Should have great synergy with the Harbeths with the amp being neutral to a little lively. I've had a Musical Fidelity Xray V8 CDP and its separate PSU for 10 years...no problems. Built like a Tank...fore real 100%. If I was in the market I would have one in top 3 on list.

6. timind

timind phorum rezident

I was going to mention the M6PRX received a Stereophile Class A rating a few years ago, but see you had the info.

I owned an A3cr power amp for a while. Well built, competent performer is how I remember it. Mine had those super large binding posts which were a real pain in the a$$, hated them.

7. UCrazyKid

UCrazyKid Grand Puba of Funk

I absolutely love my Musical Fidelity components. I have the A3.2CR pre, pwr, and CD. The pre and power were Stereophile Class A and the CD Class B on their recommended list when they were released, keeping some impressive company for their price point. They have been rock solid for over 10 years. I have upgraded everything around them (speakers, DAC) and they never fail to amaze me that they can eek out that much more clarity and dynamics. I don’t plan on ever parting with them and I am always on the lookout for a clean A308CR power amp to buy. I have them driving a pair of Dynaudio Confidence C1 Platinums and the amp never runs out of steam with these demanding little speakers. 85db 4ohms

F1nut likes this.
  8. SBaradaran

SBaradaran Forum Resident

I've got a MF KW-500 Integrated amplifier. Been using it daily for 5 years and never had an issue. This is an older unit from (2004/2005) and has a separate chassis for the power supply. It's been stellar since the moment I got it. I can't comment on the M6PRX specifically, but Musical Fidelity is well regarded overall for solid build quality and sonics.

It worked really well with my Monitor Audio Silver S10, and does a nice job with my current Spendor D7.

Rick58, F1nut and UCrazyKid like this.
  9. UCrazyKid

Well I found the A308CR power amp I was looking for and I am loving it! The grip the 450watts has on my speakers made a tremendous difference to lower, tighter bass at all volume levels. Very happy.

10. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Sure, I'll PM you my address, send as many as you like

11. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

The greatest part of the heat would be dissipated but the external heatsinks -the whole both sides- which are cleverly designed in a manner that look like part of the cabinet. I wouldn't be too concerned about overheating problems with that kind of design.

12. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Some questions:

1. Does the "loop output" work when the amp is off power?

2. Why there's no speakers A/B switch while there are binding posts for two pairs? Same case with most other power amps. I don't get it - even cheap integrated amps have this feature.

3. Can I have two separate pre-amps permanently hooked, using one at a time: one on XLR, the other on RCA -B inputs, without causing any trouble? The manual is not precise on that, says:
    "Note that the INPUT B BALANCED and RCA inputs are shared. It is not recommended to use both balanced and single ended modes simultaneously on INPUT B. Loss and/or mixing of signal and/or equipment failure may occur if both inputs are used simultaneously."

This sounds like it is not recommended to play a signal through the two pre-amps i.e. inputs at the same time, but what if I just have them both hooked and play through one at a time?

[​IMG]

13. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

I use the 12AWG version of the same cable (the Belden 5000UE) and I would say the same... good cables, and in that sweet spot for sure of price to value.

I also like Mogami 3103 -- it's a touch pricier than the Belden, the 3103 can be found for around $3 / ft, but it is a very "clean" cable too.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
  14. UCrazyKid

I’ll take a stab at your questions.
    1. Probably not. The MF use relays to switch between inputs (loop included). Without power the relay will not be charged. The logic in the preamp remembers what the last input used was and closes it upon powering up. I have not tried it though.
    2. The two sets of speaker outputs are for bi-wiring speakers, not running two pairs of speakers simultaneously. Receivers with this have circuitry to load balance when two sets of speakers would run simultaneously to keep amps from clipping due to too much impedance load.
    3. You might be able to, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

15. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Thanks for the opinions.

1. Would be great if anyone could try it and report back. If it's not active than I'm out of luck since there's no way to mute the speakers in case I use the loop for routing the signal to a headphones amp. Before someone suggests to take the signal from the pre-amp and switch off the power amp: that way I won't be able to use equalizer and/or tube buffer in a headphones scenario. See how important are tape monitor loops in a pre-amp that are being phased out because "nobody records on tape these days"?

2. I should have make it clear that I'm aware that 2 pairs of binding posts are for bi-wiring. I don't understand why they are not selectable, as implemented on most integrated amps, cheap or expensive. This breaks the possibility to enjoy two pairs of different speakers, one at a time.

3. Why not? Doesn't the switch block the input that is off?

16. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Has anyone paired the M6S-PRX with Freya S?

17. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

I owned an A5 Cr power amp which was excellent and would drive any speaker.255 watts into 8 ohms.If I had to find a fault it was slightly mechanical sounding but most class A/B SS amps sound like that.

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

If it's too light, and too small, and that power level. I am skeptical about it's reliability long term.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  19. namlook

namlook Forum Resident

I opened up a Musical Fidelity A5 today (that some guy blew up by shorting the speaker cables while the amp was powered on :laugh:) loaded to the gills with Jamicon caps. No thanks. I expected better from a item of this price point.

McLover and Helom like this.
  20. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

1. Can't find this model in the MF archive. Is that M6si500?
    2. Confused by the presence of both TAPE and TAPE MONITOR. What's the difference? It's the same input. Can you activate TAPE MONITOR via remote?

21. Randy

Randy Never Complain About The A/C On A Private Jet

I had an A300 preamp that I regret selling. It was very good as were the MF silver ICs. I also had an A300cr power amp (225wpc) which I had for a very long time which was a beast, but not the last word in articulation. Finally, I still have a NuVista 3D CD player that I bought new and is still going strong, although I have replaced it in my main rig with a Denon DCD-A110.

Bottom line is that the MF products that were made in England were very good to excellent ... the stuff made in Malaysia, not so much. The problem with MF historically was that they brought out too many "statement pieces" in quick succession (e.g., NuVista, then TriVista), thereby devaluing the predecessor components and p*ssing off the customers who bought them.

22. JJ HUNSECKER

JJ HUNSECKER Well-Known Member

I'm surprised how much I love mine, the integrated M2si, which I got as a backup for a tube amp, spends a lot of time as the primary now, lovely sound. I love it. Smooth, clear, loud, very nice.

23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's the same amp. I think they have rebadged it recently to line up with the rest of the M6 range but can't see any other changes. The tape monitor button enables you to hear the signal being recorded to tape, tape is just selecting tape playback. Tape monitor can only be operated from the front panel.

24. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Tape monitoring IS tape playback, during recording. So I'm still confused what's the difference. Luxman, Accuphase and others have only tape monitor, which is the tape input.

25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Then they don't have a proper tape monitor! Tape is for hearing playback. Tape monitor is for hearing the input signal to the tape deck (recording) while you are listening to the source. If an amp only has 'tape monitor' it is just for listening to tape playback.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.