Musicians and Mental Illness

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Muddy, Mar 17, 2023.

1. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Thought disturbances, hallucinations, delusions.

zphage and Monasmee like this.
  2. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

3. Swansong

Swansong From Planet Earth

I believe mental illness is far more common than any of us think. Alcohol is so prevalent in our culture that it seems to me that many people are self medicating themselves. The fact that it’s legal and socially acceptable, doesn’t negate the fact that it is a dangerous drug that can alter behavior long after it wears off.

Look at those who are in positions of power in government. Many of them have shown clear symptoms of mental illness. They have convinced themselves that somehow they will have the power to change the world, and be universally loved by everyone. This is clearly delusional, yet no one seems to be concerned. Everyone seems so shocked when these people are arrested for a variety of disturbing activities.

Musicians are just an easy target for this type
    of labeling. Football players who have taken too many hits to the head are suffering, yet the sports media ignore it, because of the negative stigma mental illness carries with it.

Mental illness is a serious issue that is often overlooked by people who just don’t understand how dangerous it can be. Not only to the individual, but to their family and friends.

4. Muddy

Muddy Large Member Thread Starter

Well, I did write that without actually researching it. So, it's mostly opinion/educated guess. I think a lot depends on what one means by mental illness: If we're talking strictly about the most serious forms--schizophrenia, psychosis, etc.--than probably not. If we take a more inclusive definition of mental illness--one that includes, depression, drug/alcohol addiction, OCD, etc.--then I would still think you'd find it more prevalent among musicians/artists than the general population. Again, that's just my impression.

5. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

On that note, someone upthread mentioned that mental illness was not limited to musicians, yet, effects all walks of life to which I tend to agree, for the most part.

Yet, at the risk of playing devil’s advocate (while trying not to stereotype), how do we know that those “not viewed” as artists may also have some deep artistic sensibilities in private, and/or latent creative tendencies, thus a potential common denominator?

Not saying that all musicians have such behavioral issues, just that genetically-culturally we have so much more to learn about the disease.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    mikmcmee, Muddy and snepts like this.
  6. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

In addition to everything stated, a very successful musician’s lifestyle, even at the best of times, is a Petri dish for breeding more mental issues. It’s simply not a healthy way of life to have massive adrenaline rushes and be catered to like children. On top of that, it can’t really be understood why one song is a big hit, while another fails. Imagine the paranoia that would set off. It’s amazing anyone can be relatively stable after that experience. The ones who thrive are the exception, not the rule.

There was a time I wanted major success in music, but I realize now that would’ve likely destroyed me.

ARK, ekkinak, DTK and 2 others like this.
  7. snepts

snepts Forum Resident

While initially fascinating, after some thought I don't see the point in making a correlation with musicianship and mental illness.
    The specifics of Jim Gordon's crime are an isolated case, and so horrific that frankly, I don't care to dwell on it.

Both subjects - musicianship and mental illness - are worthy of close scrutiny and discussion, but I'm not comfortable with discussing them as if they are ONE subject, so I amicably dismiss the premise of the OP. I hope this is okay to say.

ARK, Muddy and Gratefully Deadicated like this.
  8. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Cobain doesn't belong there.

9. Muddy

Muddy Large Member Thread Starter

Your opinion is as valid as mine or anyone else's. So, of course it's okay to say. And, at the risk of repeating myself, the phrase "inextricable link" in my OP was used simply to note that there's a relationship between the two, which I still believe is valid. But I was not stating it in the sense that one causes the other or to suggest that there's a strong correlation there. I do think artistic individuals tend to be more sensitive overall than the population in general, however. And as such, may simply be more prone to mental health issues.

10. paulisdead

paulisdead fast and bulbous

Polyphonic did a great video on metal health in the music world and why we should stop mythologizing the 27 Club.

MikeManaic61 likes this.
  11. paulisdead

Thanks for sharing this. Absolutely disgraceful that Landy even had access to that medication.

I would say Landy's "method" of taking over Brian's life was also a factor. It can't be understated how that is the complete opposite of the aims of mental health therapy. It was pretty clear that Brian confidence was destroyed during that his dark period. The last thing he needed was a professional telling him, he needed to be handled because he couldn't do anything from himself.

Given what the professionals knew about mental health in the 70's, the other Beach Boys and his family would have had no idea what was happening for Brian. What we know now about schizophrenia is that Brian's schizoaffective disorder would have manifested eventually later in life, even without it being triggered by drug use.

jwoverho likes this.
  12. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I have a friend who has Schizoaffective disorder and she was out of control and easily agitated and had psychotic episodes in my presence. It was sad. She was on Haldol therapy among other drugs for side effects. She was also sexually abused by her stepfather which is what set the whole thing off according to what she told me. Her psychiatrist was the same person as mine and I actually met her in the ward when I was hospitalized in 1989. She had a real hard time and did self harm mostly for attention but she would get sent to Yankton, SD state hospital and later to Fairview in Minnesota as a result for long extended stays. She was terrified of the Yankton, SD state hospital and the psychiatrist we shared but I think she fared better at Fairview which was more of a modern facility that actually tried to help her. We were in mail contact for about three years and then I moved to another city and lost contact with her. I looked her up online about 10 years ago and saw her comments in an obituary for a friend of hers from the same group home. She's now living in a nursing home in the same town we both lived in of Aberdeen, SD. She is about three or four years younger than me. I hope she is doing OK.

ARK, Muddy and paulisdead like this.
  13. Floor

Floor Forum Resident

This conversation between Daniel Johnston and Gibby Haynes gives some insight into what Daniel was going through

14. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I've heard about and read about Clozaril. This is one drug that is almost a miracle drug but the side effects and health risks are very dangerous. Agranulocytosis among other things is a risk for this drug. I saw a documentary or some news hour special about his young girl who had severe/psychotic schizophrenia and had to be put on Clozaril when things got really bad besides the other meds she took. They had to use it sparingly since it is a dangerous medication with a good amount of dangerous side effects and possible life threatening complications. Her psychotic behavior was scary and it seemed as if someone else was controlling her mind and body like she was possessed by an evil spirit or demon.

jwoverho likes this.
  15. paulisdead

In a recent video by Michael Fremer, he talks about meeting Brian Wilson in the 1970's @ the 36:05 mark. He was invited by Wilson's doctor to tag along.

NOTE: It's not an easy watch if you're triggered by stories about people with mental health issues being mistreated. :sigh:

16. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Yeah, Brian Wilson.:shake: It's a miracle he's still alive after all he's been through.

BluesOvertookMe and paulisdead like this.
  17. lastdamdown

lastdamdown Forum Resident

Media distortion is the culprit here. It only seems that artists have a higher incidence of mental illness because via media (and often via the art) we know way more detail about their personal lives than we do of others. Even close friends and long-time co-workers may keep this aspect of their lives secret.

CaptainFeedback1 likes this.
  18. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Would be quite a few rock stars with ASPD or sociopathy which most serial killers have. Phil Spector being the perfect example

paulisdead likes this.
  19. NekoM

NekoM Seriously not serious.

And you’d be right. I’m bipolar and have always been a member of various support groups. The one common thread in mental health is employment. Even when we’re completely stable, we just don’t do so well in certain careers in fact we’re 2-3 times more likely to be unemployed. I work in a creative field that allows me to choose my own schedule and it’s a popular choice, particularly with younger people who just can’t fit in anywhere else. People gravitate to where they fit.

20. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I don't care for generalizing or stigmatizing mental illness. I even go as far to say a little mental illness is both not uncommon and is understandable. To be at least mildly disturbed by the world we live in makes perfectly good sense to me. I was clued about this big-time when I read the book this quote comes from:

“The condition of alienation, of being asleep, of being unconscious, of being out of one’s mind, is the condition of the normal man. Society highly values its normal man. It educates children to lose themselves and to become absurd, and thus to be normal. Normal men have killed perhaps 100,000,000 of their fellow normal men in the last fifty years.”
    ― R.D. Laing, The Politics of Experience/The Bird of Paradise

People who are creative or oriented toward creativity tend to be more conscious, aware, reflective, sensitive. That's why I still believe music has the power to change us as individuals, and maybe even the world in general- but only if we pay attention to it and not just use it as background noise.

21. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Karen Carpenter suffered from Anorexia nervosa which is a serious mental illness or disorder.

Someone In A Tree likes this.
  22. Yes, but his father definitely over-reacted by shooting him to death. There were other ways to respond than by getting a gun out. In that era most of the older generation had the idea that illegal drug users were hopeless and irredeemable, and it was a mercy to put them down. Cocaine addiction is a bad thing, but it isn't that bad.

I think Marvin might have gotten his act together if he had taken the sober path. He was definitely off the deep end in his last couple of years, but I don't think he was permanently deranged from his cocaine and alcohol abuse. He just needed a few months to get the toxic ingredients out of his system, and then hopefully realize what he had been doing to himself.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  23. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

back in grade 4, in the 70s, roughly 9 years old... some colleagues with older siblings or parents either had access to a stash out in the open or were openly encouraged in the use of drugs

so they imbibed at that age, i can rhyme off a dozen who didn't make it to their 50th birthday

usage has to cause and/or escalate problems... god(s) help you if you were encouraged by your role models into the road to becoming dependent at 9 years of age...

Ryan Lux and Frank Discussion like this.
  24. paulisdead

I'm sorry to hear that - that's really unfair for someone that young to be exposed to substances like that. That's the dark side of the hippie, if-it-feels-good, mentally.

Kids need positive role models in real life to learn from. I'm not saying they can't be inspired to be creative by their musical heroes, but there is a clear difference between creativity and basic hedonism.

If kids are only emulating the behavior of rock stars, then the community around them needs to step-up. I'm not excusing the bad behavior of celebrities; they're basically kids themselves as most of them have never had adult responsibilities and have been handled since they were in their teens. The examples set by community can help kids separate between their realities and the fantasy world of rock journalism.

7solqs4iago and Ryan Lux like this.
  25. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Too bad we can't include political figures. I've got a long list...

Comet01, Muddy and paulisdead like this.