My 168 favorite songs.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by finslaw, Apr 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears Thread Starter

I usually don't like to post a thread all about me and my preferences, but during this self-isolation I have fallen back onto my favorite past time, making custom CDs. It is something I have done in the past when down, bored or stressed, so basically a go to coping skill/time waster. For the last few weeks I have been compiling a single CD of MP3 songs (175 bitrate) in order to represent my "never get tired of it" favorites chronologically, with some concessions to ever increasing tempo sequencing. A lot of switching in and out of songs has occurred, making it more difficult than I thought it would be, but I feel the results are a good snapshot of my taste. Be ready for a lot of pop meets rock type stuff that many will find overplayed, but I don't tire on earworms like others I know. I plan on giving some copies out at work (which is still going being Healthcare.)

Some rules were nothing over 6 minutes, shorter songs given preference and only one song per band/lead singer. Only exceptions are Colin Blunstone (band/solo) and Michael Jackson, who reached puberty between the tracks. Feel free to pick away at what is there and what isn't, this is meant more as a conversation starter.

The first 42, from 1957 to 1967.

001 JOHNNY B. GOODE, CHUCK BERRY – I figured if you are doing a huge endeavor like this then it should start with a bang, and although I entertained Maybelline, I concluded that this song was his most famous for a good reason, the awesome guitarwork that includes his best intro. Lyrically a good intro to the rock era too.

002 NOT FADE AWAY, BUDDY HOLLY – I always enjoyed this song in the movie Christine, but it wasn’t until making this collection I realized it was a favorite. The swagger, the backing vocals and some pretty racy lyrics. Doesn’t Buddy basically say he showed her how well endowed he was but then she drove him back home?

003 ALL I HAVE TO DO IS DREAM, THE EVERLY BROTHERS – In my youth my parent’s bought all the Cruisin Classics compilation tapes made by Shell gas (?) A lot of those made this collection, and I don’t think it is just nostalgia. The Everlys are my favorite 50’s act and although they could rock out great, this ballad is tops. Wistful and still had some personal impact with “gee whiz, I’m dreaming my life away.” I was a consummate dreamer living vicariously all the time.

004 STAND BY ME, BEN E. KING – Minimal backing, a song that obviously resonates with a lot of people.

005 PLEASE MR. POSTMAN, THE MARVELETTES – How in the world is the lead vocalist 15 (or 16)? Great raspy delivery and the first #1 for Motown and songwriter Brian Holland whom will return to the list. Makes sense why The Beatles were fans.

006 WILL YOU LOVE ME TOMORROW?, THE SHIRELLES – One of the few perfect pop songs with tasteful strings and singing, this one is also shockingly mature for 1961. The theme of the “used female” will repeat later, it was something I always responded to.

007 RUNAROUND SUE, DION – But how about the “used man?” Dion’s vocals here challenge Elvis in the rock department, a fun track and yet another Cruisin Classic. For Sue’s hygiene I hope the town is really small.

008 RUNAWAY, DEL SHANNON – My dad and his 4 brothers played this one a lot, and it wasn’t till I started performing it myself that I realized how interesting the chords were compared to the 12 bar/doo wop chords of the day. Love the minor/major switches, the squealing electric keyboard solo and the falsetto.

009 MISIRLOU, DICK DALE – The only instrumental on the list. Dick Dale took a challenge to make a song using only one string and invented the true prototype for riff laden hard rock/metal to come. Exciting stuff with a nice yelping bridge when the drums stop.

010 DON’T THINK TWICE IT’S ALRIGHT, BOB DYLAN – The A-side gets the press, but this is my favorite of Bob. Some of my favorite kiss off lyrics of all-time including “you just kind of wasted all my precious time” and the wonderful forced rhyme word “knowed.” Fond memories of it in the film Dogfight, as well as my dad playing it.

011 BE MY BABY, THE RONETTES – Best intro in pop, and although I may not be as enamored in it as Brian Wilson I have to say that the return to the intro towards the end seals the deal to a great cutsey pop song.

012 THEN HE KISSED ME, THE CRYSTALS – Always my favorite of Spector’s pop tracks. The driving riff and melody somehow makes the oddly non-poetic explanation lyrics sound quite nostalgic and affecting. It make me think of Elizabeth Shue dancing too.

013 PLEASE PLEASE ME, THE BEATLES – I had many options with The Beatles and although Ticket to Ride was close, I thought the 2 minute burst of hooks and racy lyrics (isn’t he asking for a BJ?) opened the gates in grand fashion and rightly places The Beatles at the front of what will follow on the list. A lot of fun to play too, especially when I get to sing the harmony part.

014 REMEMBER (WALKIN IN THE SAND), SHANGRI-LAS – Not sure whether to believe this song was written by a newbee non-writer under pressure to quickly come up with something because the song is so sophisticated with the waltz to 4/4 timing, beach sounds as well as those clever “used woman” lyrics. Vocal is a little shrill, but youthful.

015 MY GIRL, THE TEMPTATIONS – Another Cruisin Classic. I can play this at work and get people smiling and singing no matter the ages or races of those in front of me. It might as well be the national anthem. Smokey Robinson’s greatest achievement.

016 LAUGH LAUGH, THE BEAU BRUMMELS – I hear David Crosby was jealous of this song when it came out, and for good reason. The harmonica riff, the delight in an ex’s misery, multiple vocal hooks. Harbringer of what would become the California sound.

017 OH PRETTY WOMAN, ROY ORBISON – Yeah, it gets played all the time, but that is a great riff and Roy obviously has an all time great voice. Plus how can you resist “Rawwwwr!!!!”

018 SHE’S NOT THERE, THE ZOMBIES – A favorite band, I could have gone obscure with them but I am a sucker for those odd chords, major to minor transitions, the bass riff, the drum beat, the jazzy feel, Colin’s hushed tone and just how ahead of the time it must have been for 1964.

019 I’LL FEEL A WHOLE LOT BETTER, THE BYRDS – My dad and I play this song often, a case where I have to admit he has great taste. The song prefigures Proud Mary in the chords (first 6 at least) and is a great ode to not feeling great in a breakup but knowing you will get there eventually. Something I struggle with.

020 DON’T LOOK BACK, THE REMAINS – Finally getting to a non-hit, this song has great drumming, keyboards and the bridge breakdown is fantastic, much of that due to the lyrics that lead to “the less they know, the more they have to say.” A garage rock classic.

021 SUMMER IN THE CITY, THE LOVIN SPOONFUL – Their masterpiece, one that rattled in my head in middle school and rocks pretty hard for a such a tuneful pop song. It opened what was once my favorite action film, Die Hard With a Vengeance.

022 WITH A GIRL LIKE YOU, THE TROGGS – A short, sweet, super catchy pop/rocker with some of the best Ba Ba’s in the business.

023 CALIFORNIA DREAMIN, MAMAS & THE PAPAS – Moody classic from 1965 that is rightly well known.

024 WALK AWAY RENEE, THE LEFT BANKE – Hate to go negative to begin, but the song would have benefitted from a vocal bridge to break things up, but what is there is so affecting that it must remain. Great singing, flute solo and story behind it all.

025 REACH OUT (I’LL BE THERE), THE FOUR TOPS – Holland/Dozier/Holland wrote an ungodly amount of classics in 3-4 years, but this sounds like their masterpiece to me. Another Cruisin Classic with therapeutic lyrics.

026 I CAN’T LET GO, THE HOLLIES – Proto-power pop with the highest Eeeeeee sound I can think of. The track separates from other Hollies tracks in the middle when they go back to the beginning part, bait the drums by elongating the section with fantastic vocals building up to the guitar riff. A favorite moment in rock for me.

027 WOULDN’T IT BE NICE?, THE BEACH BOYS – Probably a top 10 track, this song takes you back to puppy love and provides tempo changes and a curious structure. Great sound, great melody, just great. I always fail to perform it right.

028 KICKS, PAUL REVERE & THE RAIDERS – I play this song at my rehab work often and I’m always impressed how true the lyrics are, plus it rocks. The first anti-drug hit that no one wanted to record before The Raiders tackled it. “Don’t you see no matter what you do, you’ll never run away from you.”

029 MAKING TIME, THE CREATION – Could have included others by this band but the guitar/drum rhythms really rock and the vocal manages to be quite melodic, no wonder it opened Nuggets II and Rushmore. Also, gotta have those bowed chords and chicken scratches.

030 I’M A BELIEVER, THE MONKEES – Another song I can play in front of any audience, it instantly recalls good times and innocence.

031 7 AND 7 IS, LOVE – You Set the Scene was too long, so their proto-punk song got the nod. An odd hit, “boop bip bip” never catching on as a punk ethos for good reason, but the driving rhythm seems unstoppable and for that reason they drop the Atom bomb on it in true 50’s Big Bug fashion.

032 TO LOVE SOMEBODY, THE BEE GEES – I entertained others by them but the melody of the verse manages to be just as great as the chorus. I believe Barry singled this song out as the one he was proudest of, for good reason.

033 YOU KEEP ME HANGING ON, VANILLA FUDGE – I had The Supremes version on here because I wanted to represent them but realized how inferior it was to this rocking rendition. A case where the single edit doesn’t feel like it is missing anything and packs a lot into 3 minutes. A challenging song from Holland/Dozier/Holland in that the beginning verse chord is half a step off from the chorus chord. Not sure I’ve seen that elsewhere.

034 FRIDAY ON MY MIND, THE EASYBEATS – Here it is, my favorite song of all time. In less than 3 minutes we are blessed with innumerable guitar and vocal hooks and the ultimate song about the hum drum things life is mostly populated with. It is so stuffed that I have never attempted to play it, it would be too difficult. Somehow the song’s instruments were all recorded on the first take!!!!

035 SUNDAY MORNING, THE VELVET UNDERGOUND – The first song here to get into that hazy hangover vibe. I remember borrowing this from our neighbor often and playing this over and over. Lou Reed doing what he does best, creeping you out with his plain exacting voice and lyrics.

036 TIN SOLDIER, SMALL FACES – Steve Marriott had a signature voice and this song contains some rocking surprises like a slow build up, chunky power chords, what appears to be a bridge where the 2nd verse should be and then a different bridge leading up to the end note. Love the soul inflected voices on the chorus.

037 EXPECTING TO FLY, BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD – Rock and a hard place in that both the band and songwriter have other songs I would want on the list (Bluebird, Winterlong), but I can’t deny this moody, yearning breakup song. Young’s best song, love me those timing shifts and intro/outro strings.

038 I READ YOU LIKE AN OPEN BOOK, TAGES – Crazy crazy song. 3 totally different tempos/parts that don’t seem to belong but are smashed together to create a song that is pop prog in well under 3 minutes. This should be much better known.

039 I THINK WE’RE ALONE NOW, TOMMY JAMES – Teen lust anthem with a great melody and still holds up lyrically. Love the crickets and heart beat.

040 BROWN EYED GIRL, VAN MORRISON – Whenever I play this song I say the 3rd verse is of my favorite stanzas in all of rock. “Sometimes I’m overwhelmed just thinking about, making love in the green grass behind the stadium.” It overcomes being overplayed.

041 FIRE, JIMI HENDRIX – The studio version frankly sounds thin. I am not the biggest Hendrix fan, but I love the riff, the drums and how the lyrics are a true story about wanting to move a dog (move over Rover) in order to get closer to someone’s (literal) fire.

042 THE SUN, THE PRETTY THINGS – My fave band had to make it, but which song? I feel the string melody and May’s smooth vocal delivery make it a moody affecting classic that can still prick up ears. Somehow it was never a single, but The Pretties were never lucky. Come to think of it every B side from 70’s were better choices than the A sides.

Next up 1967 to 1972.

Nipper, billnunan, Mylene and 8 others like this.
  2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

...and nary a dud in the bunch.

billnunan likes this.
  3. finslaw

Well, maybe not yet. ;)

4. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

The inclusion of "Don't Look Back" and "Making Time" alone would make me excited about your list even if the rest were just OK songs. But as it is, there are very few songs on this list that I don't consider worthy of being on such a list!

5. finslaw

I really had trouble figuring out which songs I want on there because they are the "cool" left field choice. In many cases I had to side with the hit, and I do feel a lot of songs were the hits for good reason, because that is the strongest earworm.

The hardest removal from the first 42 was I Don't Need That Kind of Loving by Drafi, a super obscure song I always championed.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  6. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Interesting comment on "My Girl" that it can make a room full of people happy-I've seen this happen myself with the song! Another song that has the same effect in my experience is "Penny Lane".

Gagnedouze likes this.
  7. finslaw

I found out the hard way that The Beatles depend on the region. My dad and I used to tour Nursing Homes and play stuff like The Beatles in California. When I moved to Indiana I volunteered to play at a Nursing Home down the road thinking "I got tons of Beatles." In a room of a dozen older folks who were in their teens and 20's during the 1960's not a single one wanted The Beatles. They wanted George Jones, Roger Miller, Sinatra, Elvis etc. The Beatles were seen as those long hairs.

RSteven likes this.
  8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

A pretty good bit of crossover on my Top 200 Songs From The '60s list I put together a year or two ago. Lots of great stuff and a handful I'm unfamiliar with.

9. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Great selection! :righton:

10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

That's a nice round number. Juuust couldn't make the space in that list for "Seasons in The Sun", couldja...:nyah:

Thanks for taking the time - some good stuff to reconsider here...

11. finslaw

Onwards we stumble (and by all means point it out if I do): 1967 to 1972.

043 WATERLOO SUNSET,
    THE KINKS – Honestly, Lola and this one were neck and neck but I can’t deny how lovely it sounds with that guitar sound and harmonies as well as the theme of loneliness. Ray Davies has one of the best collections of hits ever.

044 CAN’T TAKE MY EYES OFF YOU, FRANKI VALLI – I remember making a mixtape for someone with this song included. I enjoy playing it too, with the modulations and the string buildup to the shouting chorus. A great verse melody as well. Possibly the closest I got to a crooner song.

045 ELENORE, THE TURTLES – The band wrote and recorded this as a joke when trying to distance themselves from their prior pop, but the joke provides some of the best lyrics, especially “pride and joy etcetera.” The vocal gymnastics at the end can inspire goosebumps.

046 LOVE ME TWO TIMES, THE DOORS – Jim and company deliver a great rocker with a great riff. Simple lyrics, but the chorus chords are fun and Jim baits the inevitable yell, then nails it.

047 OPEN MY EYES, NAZZ – Todd Rundgren had other worthy songs, but this early rocker has possibly the coolest sounding opening, especially when the guitar riff scrapes into view and builds up using those Lady Madonna/Hello Goodbye notes. Great instrumental bridge too.

048 PIECE OF MY HEART, JANIS JOPLIN – Often Janis goes overboard for me in general but I must say her vocals here are well balanced by her band which sounds loose and raw, especially the guitar. Really a moment for future female rockers.

049 HURDY GURDY MAN, DONOVAN – The only track here from my gateway comp Psychedelic Mindtrip. The weird staccato vocal thing, Donovan’s odd lyrics and the instrumentation, especially Jimmy Pages solo.

050 FLOATIN’, VAMP – This may be the biggest curio on the list, but I don’t know why it isn’t a bar standard. The Brit accent, the guitar riff, the lyrics about getting high or dying, it is all so perfectly catchy. Even my 15 year old daughter loves this song. “History’s just a lesson, tomorrow we’re only guessing, nooooo, you just close your eyes and your floatin’, you’re so hypnotized I’m hoping you don’t see me go.”

051 LATHER, JEFFERSON AIRPLANE – What a cool track. The weird sounds, Grace’s sympathetic voice, the story. I remember listening to this a lot on a friend’s vinyl. At my work someone asked to sing it so I learned the chords and she got choked up during the rendition. When I asked why, she said “permission.” But is it permission to stay young, or grow old?

052 SON OF A PREACHER MAN, DUSTY SPRINGFIELD – The sexiest song ever made. Dusty’s voice, the playful guitar and melody are fantastic. But what really sells it is the mere idea of the family doing worship in the house while you are losing your virginity in the backyard. And does she say “how much we’re growing”, or “groaning?”

053 AMERICA, SIMON & GARFUNKEL – I agree with Carrie Fisher that Paul’s music is the perfectly resonant night time music. This one I used to play in my high school band, and I always responded most to “I’m empty and aching and I don’t why.” I hear deserted parts of Saginaw have murals saying “they’ve all gone to look for America.”

054 I WANT YOU BACK, THE JACKSON 5 – Irresistible chord progression, bass, and young Michael’s delivery. A Motown classic.

055 SUSPICIOUS MINDS, ELVIS PRESLEY – Kudos to the King to disappear for a bit and then come back with his best song. Paranoia and relationships. Love the female vocals in the coda and the waltz time middle eight.

056 SCHOOLGIRL, ARGENT – Maybe placed here to make up for the lack of its cousin Time of the Season, but I think I prefer this Ballard track. I have nostalgia over crushes when I was much younger, and those who crushed on me, that I was too innocent to do anything about. The best song to ever feature adolescent “show me yours and I’ll show you mine” curiosity without getting too creepy.

057 HONKY TONK WOMAN, THE ROLLING STONES – My vote for their best single, the guitar riff is indelible, naughty lyrics, and cowbell. “She blew my nose and then she blew my mind.” I prefer my naïve literal version of that lyric.

058 VENUS, SHOCKING BLUE – I remember this playing every time I took the bus home, and thinking it was Yoko Ono singing. A lot of poppy fun to play.

059 ONE, THREE DOG NIGHT – My dad’s musical history includes having Chuck Negron in a band for 2 years. Does this make me biased? Maybe, but this song has a great lyric, melody and it rocks. How was this a last ditch effort at a single from the album?

060 UNDUN, THE GUESS WHO – Love those jazz chords, the vocal bridge and the interplay with the drums, but what seals it as their best track is Burton Cumming’s delivery, especially the ending.

061 SPACE ODDITY, DAVID BOWIE – Not the biggest Bowie fan, but I can’t deny this track which is a lot of fun to play and sing.

062 COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN, LED ZEPPELIN – I could have chosen others, but this is their most groundbreaking track, a great solo, and what my dad and I felt contained the best scream in rock n roll, although overdubbed. Our friend said Daltrey in Won’t Get Fooled Again. This isn’t far from The Ramones.

063 LOOKIN’ OUT MY BACK DOOR, CCR – I had a hard time finding a song by this band because I often require a bridge, which Fogerty doesn’t treasure as much as me. After discarding some choices due to no solo (Down on the Corner), too long (Bayou), I realized this track has always been the one I secretly wish people would pick off my song list. And lo and behold, a great vocal bridge, tempo changes, a guitar solo and great lyrics. “A dinosaur Victrola, listening to Buck Owens.”

064 NO MATTER WHAT, BADFINGER – In my top 3 songs of all time. Some songs written to girlfriends can operate also as father/daughter songs, and this is one. Catchy, rocks, great bridge, solo and false ending. Perfect.

065 LAYLA, DEREK & THE DOMINOES – Unrequited love/obsession personified. Clapton’s vocal makes me wonder why he didn’t sing like that more often, great riff and unusual chord progression.

066 WHAT IS LIFE?, GEORGE HARRISON – The best solo Beatles track? George’s riff, melody and that wall of sound.

067 WHEN I TOUCH YOU, SPIRIT – I listened the hell out of this after my first kiss turned me down for another. The vocal and guitar really sound like something from the grunge era. A lot of feeling here.

068 25 OR 6 TO 4, CHICAGO – Best song using that descending chord progression, horns, melody and guitar solo.

069 QUESTION, THE MOODY BLUES – 2 songs thrown together, the middle being the most affecting. Cool mini-suite. “I’m looking for a miracle in my life.”

070 WILD WORLD, CAT STEVENS – Another girlfriend song that makes me think of an 18 year old daughter leaving home. Great melody later ripped off by Pet Shop Boys, I love playing this one live.

071 STAY WITH ME, FACES – Despite responding to more feminist themes there are times when a song displays a level of sheer misogyny that it brings a wry smile to my face. This thing is nasty, simple chords, Rod’s delivery but the fast pace on the bookends bring it home. “In the morning don’t say you love me, cause I’ll only kick you out of the door.”

072 LET’S STAY TOGETHER, AL GREEN – My favorite soul song with a a great melody and some sophisticated chords. A tough one to perform.

073 I’M THE LIGHT, BLUE CHEER – My dad bought a Blue Cheer hits album in Berkley for Out of Focus but I ended up spinning it from then on. Love their first 2 albums but this song from their rootsy last album is an unheralded swaggering epic.

074 BABA O’RILEY, THE WHO – Every time I left on a video hunting trip (for my Ebay store) I would put on this track. There is something freeing here. “I don’t have to fight to prove I’m right, I don’t need to be forgiven.” Dang.

075 SAY YOU DON’T MIND, COLIN BLUNSTONE – Yeah, Colin got an earlier lead vocal, but this feels different enough to be included. This song’s voice/strings instrumentation is destined to be included in a quirky rom com before the man inevitably begs forgiveness at an airport.

076 JODY, THE MARMALADE – The only unreleased song on the list. This stayed in a vault for 30 years or so, although Blue would release their own version called Little Jody. But this one is definitive with Dean Ford’s fabulous vocals and a more rocking feel. “She’s in the future, and I’m in the past.”

077 ROUNDABOUT, YES – A cheat since I had to use the single edit, but taken on its own terms the edit is a great song as well. Love the interplay with the bass, great melody, this is my favorite prog rock song.

078 RING THE LIVING BELL, MELANIE – A secular worship song. The need to find fulfillment in alcohol, food, and sex to ring the living bell. Melanie’s voice is spot on.

079 AMIE, PURE PRAIRIE LEAGUE – My mom and dad performed this a lot in my youth. A great representation of the back in forth in love and only wanting something when it is out the door. “I keep falling in and out of love with you, don’t know what I’m going to do.”

080 SUPERSTITION, STEVIE WONDER – His best song, great riff, great lyrics. “When you believe in things you don’t understand you suffer superstition anyway.”

081 YOU’RE SO VAIN, CARLY SIMON – When a female tries to put down a former lover it never really works because the dude becomes famous for the belt notch. This is the only tonic to that. “You gave away the things you love and one of them was me, I had some dreams they were clouds in my coffee.”

082 SEPTEMBER GURLS, BIG STAR – Maybe the typical choice of theirs but I am always surprised how I’m not a big fan of jangly power pop songs (Teenage Fanclub) but this one truly rocks and is quite yearning.

083 GO ALL THE WAY, THE RASPBERRIES – Great chord progression, great riff, great bridge and really odd in the combination of easy going to hard rock. Love how Eric spun the theme around to the woman asking for it.

084 ROCKET MAN, ELTON JOHN – He almost didn’t make the list, but then I realized that despite being played a lot, this song always struck me as his best. Love the acoustic guitar chord that brings in the chorus melody.

billnunan and CliffL like this.
  12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Oh, surely you jest...lemme know when "The Ballad Of Irving" makes its' appearance! :laugh:

13. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Interesting...I can see the generational divide there.

14. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

While there are quite a few I'm not a fan of (mostly-and boringly predictably from me-from the pre-Beatle era), this is a great list so far and I trust it'll stay that way. My only question is how on earth did you determine a categorical "168"?? How long did it take and what was your method?

15. finslaw

For me obsess on a project I need to first set up the barriers, which is usually 80 minutes using WAV. The true barrier for this one isn't number of songs but filling up 700MB using 175kbps as the bitrate. I wanted to limit the amount of long tracks and maximize the short ones, which means prog and metal fans will surely be disappointed, but I have some curveballs here and there. I initially had no songs over 4 minutes from the 60's, no songs over 5 minutes from the 70's and no songs over 6 minutes for the rest. Then it came down to sequencing it which I am proudest of, it all flows well. But I'd be lying if I said the tempo of a song being a perfect bridge to the next track wasn't a factor for some.

This project helped define my preferences thusly:
    1) Poppy earworms combined with rocking guitar.
    1) More complex chord progressions with a chorus having different chords than the verse.
    2) Vocal bridges are a big plus.
    3) Instrument solo a plus too.
    4) Lyrics that are either shocking, freeing, nostalgic, or pained.
    5) Very few minor chordy downer songs. I find them too easily manipulative.
    6) Stood the test of being overplayed. Many songs I am sure are "too radio." But I bet if you chose some left field choices from the same bands (like I wanted to several times) and listened to them as often as the band's big hit, you'd feel differently.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  16. Tony Wilkinson

Tony Wilkinson Forum Resident

Very much enjoying your choices and explanations for each track. I’ll take a copy when you start to mass produce them.
    Many thanks for your list, Tony

17. John54

John54 Senior Member

A few years ago, I tried to make a list of my favourite songs and came up with well over 800. The ones I have highlighted here are on my list too. A few others barely missed; in many cases other songs by the same artists are on my list; and there are only one or two I'm unfamiliar with (since the 60s is my heyday, and I'd guess around half my favourites are from that decade).

That would be the 45 version of Question by the way, not the mistake that's the overly bombastic LP version.

18. finslaw

I feel this is the list where I will roll the most eyes. My nostalgia starts to interfere a bit, I am not a big fan of the lauded sophisticated 80's artists (Cure, Smiths) or music that repeats too much (yes Sting, I get you have a message in a bottle and that you can't stand losing me) and my power pop inclinations really start to dominate. An era I am open to discover more earworms from.

1973 to 1993

085 KEEP YOURSELF ALIVE,
    QUEEN – So many songs from the 3 Platinum Cds to choose from, and yet I choose their first single that isn’t on any of them. So many deride Queen for being too theatrical and wimpy, but they had moments of rocking out and this song's galloping beat and curious positive “don’t burn out” type lyrics are too good to pass up.

086 COLD ETHYL, ALICE COOPER – Again, so many songs to choose from but I have to say this one always tickles me in a way some others don’t. This necrophilia anthem has a feminist subtext IMO. “You want a woman who will do everything you ask and not talk back, well here she is. BTW she is dead.” I’ve seen footage of Slash saying this was the one he really responded to. Possibly the most inappropriate musical female orgasm moans ever.

087 SHAKE SOME ACTION, FLAMIN’ GROOVIES – I often require a changing melody and chords. This track somehow has more repetition than usual for me with the odd punctuated singing but I can’t help but love the track. Despite the lyrics being the typical “I want a lover not a friend” bravado, there seems to be some angst/pain in “but oh, don’t send me back that way.”

088 LOVE HURTS, NAZARETH – Possibly the first power ballad, and maybe the best. The vocal on this is just insane, especially on the bridge. A ballad that doesn’t overstay its welcome and can affect you.

089 BURN, DEEP PURPLE – I am going to disappoint Deep Purple fans (and Rainbow fans later) but as much as I love Ian Gillan, if I am limiting song lengths, their best rocker is Burn. I love how the verses always sound like they are falling apart, especially the drumming. A great great riff, which if I listen close enough sounds more than a little like Smoke on the Water, and a really good bridge “you know we had no time.” BTW, I had to cheat and use the 4:30 edit. If this wasn't here it would have been Vavoom for 1996.

090 TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT, EAGLES – At my work I always dread people asking “do you know any Eagles?” Not because I agree with Big Lebowski, but because they will inevitably ask for Hotel California. Not a bad song, but I prefer many others. This waltz is perfect for driving home at night or reminiscing about my old cross country trips. “So put me on a highway, show me the sign, take it to the limit one more time.”

091 AMERICAN GIRL, TOM PETTY & THE HEARTBREAKERS – So are they making it on a balcony? I made a mix tape when I was a kid and I now look back and recognize how I was a power popper before I knew that was a genre. This song was on that mix, great driving beat. “Painful something so close but still so far out of reach.” Still recalls Silence of the Lambs.

092 CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON, KANSAS – A late addition to this list, but I only resisted because it was so popular. I love music that has depressing lyrics in a rocking upbeat form, and you can’t deny the many riffs here. And no, I’ve never seen Supernatural or Heroes with Henry Winkler.

093 SWEET TALKIN’ WOMAN, ELO – Mr. Blue Sky is the current popular choice, Evil Woman/Don’t Bring Me Down is the radio choice, Telephone Line made a prior mix I made, but then I realized that this song had everything I need from Lynne. Rhythm changes, the glorious echo backing vocals and a killer chorus.

094 PSYCHO KILLER, TALKING HEADS – Time for something weird and quirky. My daughter made a CD mix when she was 6 and it had stuff like the Bob the Builder song, but also tracks like this. So catchy and addictive without a lot of the unfortunate excesses to come in the 80’s. Fa fa fa fa fa fa.

095 BARRACUDA, HEART – Nothing sexier than watching Nancy Wilson leap around on stage playing this song on guitar. The fact what sounds like boy girl lyrics is really about the paparazzi makes me fist pump in this TMZ era. Love that the song ends with the riff being played for 5, not 4, measures.

096 GO YOUR OWN WAY, FLEETWOOD MAC – As much as I wanted to go with Second Hand News or The Chain, this song has always held onto its charms despite being played so much. Buckingham’s songs about Stevie were always best, and I love how she has to sing on a song with “packing up and shacking up is all you want to do.”

097 OVER AND DONE, STATUS QUO – Time for the oddball. I am not a big fan of the band but I remember having the vinyl to On the Level and assuming this was the big single, before finding out it never even was one. Their best song for sure, overcoming chords so simple I pretty much discovered them in the moment. “I really thought we could have made it but now its gone, can you look in my eyes and tell me that there is nothing wrong….it’s over and over, I told you its over and done.”

098 SOUTHERN GIRLS, CHEAP TRICK – Another song with super simple chords that somehow overcomes it. A great ode to the loose girls from Southern Canada and so catchy that I had it rattling in my head for a week one time.

099 GOIN DOWN THE ROAD, ROY WOOD – You may notice I had nothing by The Move despite being a big fan. Cherry Blossom Clinic Revisited would be first choice if not for the length, this one always felt much better than it gets credit for. Roy Wood’s genius is in full display not only with the earworm melody but in the bizarre combo of reggae and Scottish instruments including a bagpipe solo. Great drum fills too.

100 HEART OF GLASS, BLONDIE – One day off from being the song at #1 when I was born, and still my favorite disco song. Love Blondie, but what sends this over Dreaming is the version with 7/8 time on the instrumental which is amazing for a dance song.

101 SINCE YOU’VE BEEN GONE, RAINBOW – Yes, now that I let down Deep Purple fans it is time to let down Dio fans. He had a great voice, but most of his best songs were too long (Stargazer, Gates of Babylon, We Rock.) This is the track that, when you remove the idea they are a metal band, comes across as a fantastic Russ Ballard power pop song with great singing by Graham Bonnet, a vocal bridge and solo. Catchy.

102 JUST WHAT I NEEDED, THE CARS – Their most played song, a favorite of my daughters and much more difficult to perform than My Best Friend’s Girlfriend. An obviously catchy earworm in the power pop mode.

103 CHIP AWAY AT THE STONE, AEROSMITH – I kind of relish choosing something after their hard rock heyday and before their comeback. I also think it helps Steven didn’t write this one since the lyrics are less horndog rap and more down and down and dirty Stones rock. "Standing like a marble statue, trying to look so hard."

104 MY SHARONA, THE KNACK – Maybe this killed power pop at the time because no one knew how to out do it. Horny lyrics, great riff and drums and an all time great solo. Top 10 material.

105 I WANNA BE SEDATED, THE RAMONES – Maybe a typical choice but this is the song that I never get tired of despite being one of their more repetitious songs.

106 RENEGADE, STYX – A late addition. I felt bad Styx didn’t make it on so I revisited the song on my childhood mix that I had forgotten was multi-parted and rocked. I appreciate the different subject matter too.

107 YOU SHOOK ME ALL NIGHT LONG, AC/DC – I love playing this one at work and singing in a ridiculous falsetto throughout. Overplayed to some, but for good reason. Love the copious double entendres. “She told me to come but I was already there.”

108 BURNIN’ FOR YOU, BLUE OYSTER CULT – I had Godzilla in this spot on a different mix and appreciate Reaper, but this is the one that displays my vision of the band which is a power pop band forced to play in biker bars. Catchy, good drum rolls, great guitar.

109 ROSANNA, TOTO – Honestly didn’t realize how great this track was until Weezer covered it. Africa is too simple to be so popular, this one is complex, catchy and has good dynamics. The half time shuffle, horns and ending guitar solo is the icing. “Not quite a year since she went away.”

110 LITTLE GIRLS, OINGO BOINGO – I love bands willing to shock as long as there is a point to it, and Oingo Bingo’s first single and lead off to their first album was a pedo anthem. However, peel back the layers and Danny is obviously crawling into motivations and cutting down those male producers with young startlets in the back seat. “They don’t care if I’m a one way mirror, they’re not frightened by my cold exterior.” Super catchy song that I still am wary to play for others, subtext often fails for some on certain topics.

111 BLISTER IN THE SUN, THE VIOLENT FEMMES – Love playing this one at work and making everyone handclap the drums, although being a rehab I always sing “when I’m walking I strut my stuff and I’m not gonna sing that lyric.” Early indie/college type music, and another my daughter loves too. American Music almost made it though.

112 BILLIE JEAN, MICHAEL JACKSON – Here he is 14 years after the last addition, and I feel this song contains a lot of what was wrong with him personally. Being a child star and seeing his brothers and dad sleep around with groupies. I had a co-worker who used the place like a hookup schmorgasbord and he was all about PYT. My mindset has always been much more Billie Jean, thinking twice and walking on eggshells. I like my acoustic rendition too. In the 80’s I was a huge MJ fan, danced on my parent’s bed to the Bad album and my first time on stage was breakdancing solo to Thriller. I sucked, but back then I was cute.

113 DANCING IN THE DARK, BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN – Honestly, Brilliant Disguise was on the list until the end. I think this one is much more relistenable and I love the theme of not needing to go all the way, but just needing some sort of spark to wake up. “You can’t start a fire crying of a broken heart, this gun’s for hire, even if we’re just dancing in the dark.” It has a bridge too, see a theme here with that?

114 THAT’S ALL, GENESIS – in the 80’s as a kid I loved MJ, Cat Stevens and Phil Collins. The latter became a slight guilty pleasure, but never for this song. A great tune, great relationship lyrics about difficult significant others, piano riff and vocal bridge. “Living with you is just putting me through it all of the time.” Not sure how this isn’t included as one of his divorce songs.

115 TAKE ON ME, A-HA – I feel guilty to say this is probably my favorite 80’s song. The synth riff, the drum beat and the chorus melody. I love playing this one live because it never fails to get noticed and get people singing and call and response. "Slowly learning that life is okay."

116 STILL LOVING YOU, SCORPIONS – I have had a power ballad collection for some time and this was always a favorite. It feels superior and moodier than later cheesy ballads. Great singing, guitar work, and only In Trance challenges it from the band.

117 YOU GIVE LOVE A BAD NAME, BON JOVI – Okay, so music experts close your eyes, the rest of you, let me explain. The 80’s were a time of cheese, anthemic choruses, hair spray and bright colors. This song is the epitome of that era for me and perhaps nostalgia is dictating too much, but I can’t help enjoying it and I always enjoy having this requested instead of Living on a Prayer. “A schoolboy’s dream, you act so shy, your very first kiss was your first kiss goodbye.” Pure excess.

118 THERE SHE GOES, THE LA’S – The guitar riff here was my ringtone for a while so it is famous in my household. I first heard the song in So I Married an Axe Murderer, and the fact it my be about Heroin gives it an interesting hidden layer. One of the catchiest songs ever.

119 HERE COMES YOUR MAN, THE PIXIES – I wonder if Frank didn’t want to release this, not because he didn’t like it, but because he knew it was the catchiest thing he had done and would dominate all the weird tracks. Odd lyrics, riff and backing vocals. A fave of my daughter. Gigantic was a tad too simple for me to include.

120 LOVE BITES, DEF LEPPARD – I would love to hear a stripped down cover of this by a woman, because lyrically that is where it sits best. Possibly my favorite power ballad. “When you make love, do you look in the mirror? Who do you think of, does he look like me?” I love doing my own acoustic rendition, very easy to get into.

121 ALEX CHILTON, THE REPLACEMENTS – The best ode to another musician. A rocking feel at a time in power pop when it was all jangle and light drums. “I’m in love, what’s that song? I’m in love with that song.” Indeed, maybe the ode needs its own ode.

122 MORE THAN WORDS, EXTREME – 1990 was not a good year in music IMO. But this song always felt different than a lot of what populated airwaves. As a kid I love the dissonant harmony at the end and anticipated it. On the album the song is less of a sex invitation and more needing something sincere in a world of lies and hedonism.

123 STAND, R.E.M. – Yeah, so REM is at their best when they are fun and this has some great guitar, a great melody of “you are here” type lyrics. Then the icing is the modulations at the end. If it wasn’t this song on here it would have been Superman, not the moodier songs.

124 GIRLFRIEND, MATTHEW SWEET – Love the guitar playing and drum, false ending and the fact it is all made by a lover of great music as he revealed on the Under the Covers series. “I’d sure like to call you my girlfriend.”

125 SHINE, COLLECTIVE SOUL – This may be my favorite alternative rock song. Love the riff, the singing is anthemic and the lyrics are sweet. A far cry from the poor me lyrics of the grunge scene. "Yeah."

126 JOINING A FANCLUB, JELLYFISH – Multi-parted, a homage to Brontosaurus by The Move, a rave up section but really the kicker is lyrics that compare fanclubs to religion. Brilliant. I wish the band rocked out like this more often.

One more round to go.

Synthfreek and billnunan like this.
  19. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Nice list. Enjoyed it.

20. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I see what you meant in your introduction to this set. But 94 and 100 I love. Again interesting descriptions/reasoning throughout, though.

21. finslaw

I knew I would fail the 80's. Hopefully I can redeem myself for the last in the list that digs into my high school years:

1993 to 2016

127 I’M THE ONLY ONE,
    MELISSA ETHERIDGE – Taking more than a little from Black Velvet, Melissa turns this song into a cathartic experience if you are of the rejected, or floating into relationships that always turn out the same. “Go on believe her when she tells you nothing’s wrong.”

128 ALL APOLOGIES, NIRVANA – It was tough getting Nirvana in here. I can listen to an album but individual songs often have choruses that repeat too much. This last studio track from him has a great acoustic riff which is a lot of fun to play. The lyrics have been considered a suicide note of sorts, but Kurt had a knack for making downer music with major chords and upbeat. “Married, Buried.”

129 A MURDER OF ONE, COUNTING CROWS – In the grunge days I was much more into the other things going on. Counting Crows were huge in my High School years, but it was the last track on their debut that truly tore to shreds. I remember playing this song in the coffeehouse I worked at and a local older jazz musician came up and said “who is this? I like how varied it is.” For me though it comes down to those lyrics of regret. “All your life is just a shame shame shame. All your love is just a dream dream dream.”

130 **** AND RUN, LIZ PHAIR – My favorite bassless rock song. In fact an understatement, this is my favorite song of the decade. Liz Phair effectively forces you into a woman’s mindset without playing the victim too much. “You said you had a lot of work to do, but I heard the rest in your head, and almost immediately I felt sorry.” Catchy as hell too, I only wish it was something I could cover.

131 BASKET CASE, GREEN DAY – One of those later songs my 60’s loving dad loved. It is fun to play at work too. I especially appreciate the constantly changing gender pronouns when the main character goes to see the whore.

132 VIOLET, HOLE – Is it possible that Courtney made a song better than anything by Kurt? Possibly. The repetition in the chorus is there but at least Courtney gives us the courtesy of dropping down an octave on one part. Love those groovy Merseybeat type drums that pop in amidst the screaming.

133 VERY BEST YEARS, THE GRAYS – I got Ro Sham Bo as a free CD with a CD purchase at a local bookstore. That free CD is now one of my favorite albums. Jason Falkner’s opening track seemed weird the first time I heard it, but before long it became a part of my teen years. Honestly, on this list I had Don’t Show Me Heaven from Falkner and Not Long for this World from this band, but I felt I was cheating the rules a bit.

134 SELF ESTEEM, THE OFFSPRING – Always felt this was Smells Like Teen Spirits lesser known, but better brother. Any time someone talks about their depression effecting what partners they find I play this song. A fun one to play. I often point out the unfortunate mindset “the more you suffer the more it shows you really care.”

135 LEAST COMPLICATED, INDIGO GIRLS – A late addition which was more of a “I haven’t heard that one in forever.” It possibly inspires more melancholy over the past than back in the day. The song is super catchy and I am sure to be learning it, although it will miss the harmony stuff.

136 BUDDY HOLLY, WEEZER – Typical choice for a favorite band, but it does a lot in only 2:40. Plus I think Mary Tyler Moore is the epitome of hot. Extra points for the “what the hell is going on” vocal bridge.

137 BETTER MAN, PEARL JAM – I enjoy playing this at work too. The moody opening, and drums kicking in later, the resignation in a loveless love. Pearl Jam had a knack for those acoustic and ballady songs.

138 1979, THE SMASHING PUMPKINS – This was the biggest album of my high school years, and this song in particular is about reflecting on such times, so it is double the nostalgia. If I want to impress with guitar/vocals and satisfy a 90’s fan this is my go to.

139 FOOLISH GAMES, JEWEL – I always loved Jewel and how wonderfully naïve her viewpoint was. I’m Sensitive and Only One Too were entertained, but the piano and relationship struggles of this one conquered. I saw her in concert and she held the room with just guitar and voice. “Excuse me, I mistook you for someone else, someone who gave a damn, someone more like myself.”

140 DON’T LOOK BACK IN ANGER, OASIS – Wonderwall was the famous one in school, but the next one on the album was always my favorite. I like Liam but I think Noel singing the lead puts it over the top for me. To me, Oasis was the upbeat tonic to the mopier parts of the decade. Funny thing is I had self pity issues big time back then, maybe I was resisting the inevitable.

141 JUST, RADIOHEAD – I remember having to work with a cute Goth girl who had just broken up with her boyfriend. I never got close. Eventually she started sleeping with a dude who already had 2 of her friends. This song makes me think of her. Radiohead was at their best when the songs were not looped drums/chords and you can see the many distinct parts.

142 IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY, SHERYL CROW – Love this song, and it is a lot of fun to play. People always seem to relate to the chorus where I work. “If it makes you happy, then why the hell are you so sad?” Could apply to a lot.

143 JUST A GIRL, NO DOUBT – It rocks, is pretty funny, has cool guitar tone and makes me think of Romy and Michelle. Kinda surprised though I didn’t choose any of the first 3 tracks on their followup album.

144 YOU OUGHTA KNOW, ALANIS MORISETTE – Again, loved those angry used female type songs for some reason. Alanis is putting it out there like very few had before, maybe Faithful on Why’d Ya Do It? Love her attempts at revenge, “I hope you feel it. Can you feel it?”

145 ONE HEADLIGHT, THE WALLFLOWERS – The last addition here. I had a friend when this came out who hated this song and would always turn it off. It wasn’t till I started performing it that I realized I really like the mourful lyrics and the original recording has cool drums, guitar and organ.

146 LOVEFOOL, THE CARDIGANS – This song was always a fun song more on the pop side that I never thought much about beyond hearing it in stores and whatnot. Sort of a latter disco song at times, and pretty darn sexy.

147 SUCKED OUT, SUPERDRAG – Even if it uses the same chords as Basket Case, I love this short power pop song, and it is a fave of my daughter too. The kicker is that it is about a band going through the motions without success, and this was the song that was a success. Is that ironic?

148 FOLLOW YOU DOWN, GIN BLOSSOMS – Simple chords but I like the sentiment of sticking with someone as long as they aren’t dragging you down to a place you have already been.

149 FATHER OF MINE, EVERCLEAR – I have seen the band live twice and their lyrics clearly resonate with the crowds. This one in particular must have been big for those who didn’t have a dad. I had a great dad, and this song still got to me. I play it at work often, very cathartic. I bet the line “now I’m a grown man with a child of my own, and I swear I’ll never let them know all the pain I have known” reduced the amount of deadbeat dads by .5% in 1997.

150 BRICK, BEN FOLDS FIVE – Ben Folds is unique from the time period, and he really has a good songwriting knack. As much as I wanted to choose an upbeat silly song by him, I can’t refuse a deep feeling song as this. The drive to an abortion clinic and the aftermath.

151 GOODBYE EARL, DIXIE CHICKS – Not a big country fan, but this one is sort of does to jerks what Tarantino did to Hitler and Manson. Some nice escapist revenge with some humor to counteract the brutality. I shouldn’t play it at work but I often do, with a disclaimer that this is not a healthy way to deal with your toxic relationship. “It turns out he was a missing person that nobody missed at all.”

152 GLAD GIRLS, GUIDED BY VOICES – The pop single of an odd artist/band, this has an interesting structure and melodically is irresistible. I am not a pot smoker, and usually roll my eyes when any substance populates too much media (country music needs an intervention IMO) but this is too infectious. And I’m sure he doesn’t just want to get them high.

153 MASS ROMANTIC, THE NEW PORNOGRAPHERS – Definitely the best I have heard from this band, the opener of their first album. That bouncy rhythm, strange lyrics and rocking coda. I want to find more music like this.

154 STUCK IN A MOMENT YOU CAN’T GET OUT OF, U2 – I had So Cruel ready to go until I decided it was too long. U2 has many songs I like but many are too long and repetitive. This one however has a few more parts to it than others, isn’t too preachy and I can see why Lou Reed landed it on his top 100 songs list. The album it comes from is very underrated.

155 GET OVER IT, OK GO – I really like this band’s singles, but their lead off track on their first CD is the one that is a go to when I feel too self pitying. I have it on my 351 song list and it has never been picked, although I am 171 miles from the bands home. “Such a perfect frown, honest eyes, we oughta buy you a Cadillac, hey, get over it.”

156 FLOAT ON, MODEST MOUSE – Not a big fan of indie rock bands because it often seems more about layers/sounds than earworms, but this song definitely has one. I usually hate David Bowie in a freezer type male vocals but this one gets away with it.

157 YOU’RE PRETTY GOOD LOOKING, WHITE STRIPES – The shortest song on this list, and so darn catchy. I hadn’t heard it for a decade but it still came instantly to mind when I knew I needed some songs for this era.

158 REST OF MY LIFE, SLOAN – A top 5 band for me, very difficult to not break the rules and give Patrick and Jay a song as well. But if I can only pick one then this one is the short, self contained pop song that should have sold. I got to tell Chris personally that I play this song at work, but I didn’t have the heart to say it is on the list but no one has ever picked it.

159 STACY’S MOM, FOUNTAINS OF WAYNE – Dang. So this is not a recent addition at all, in fact this list sprang from an 80 minute CD I made years ago covering the same years with only 20 or so songs, and this song was on that CD too. I love love love playing this at work, I play it so much that I became the Stacy’s Mom guy to some. It has not only joy and pop, but the fun of lusting after the older woman is a nice tonic to the more typical lust songs of the past. Great video, great modulation, and ode to The Cars. Adam, your cleverness and knack for chord progressions and melody will be missed. RIP.

160 I BELIEVE IN A THING CALLED LOVE, DARKNESS – Another great video. This one is fun to play at work too, if only the lead singer could have held it together. At this point I really have to ask, do I like these retro songs as much as what it is retro-ing? Am I just missing the good old days? Not sure, but this one has such a great guitar workout.

161 BYOB, SYSTEM OF A DOWN – My stepson got me into this band, and although difficult at first, I eventually loved their everything in the kitchen sink style of music. This song in particular has so many parts as well as a nice surprise at the end. When they disbanded there was very little left I loved that wasn’t older artists.

162 SUGAR, WE’RE GOING DOWN, FALL OUT BOY – I knew I needed a pop punk song from this era and tried out many. The Middle is fun to play at work but is a tad too simple. This one I settled on because that chorus is catchy as hell, although I always felt it should be called Number 1 With a Bullet. I recently detected though that the verse and chorus chords are the same and felt letdown, it may have to leave. See how fickle I am.

163 TIME TO PRETEND, MGMT – Cool sound, lyrics that sound like they are glorifying the get high and famous lifestyle until they end choking on their own vomit. Great stuff.

164 YEAH YEAH YEAH, THE FLAMING LIPS – Love the band but it is tough finding that one song. This one is always welcome for me, I don’t have to be in the mood for it, and it is thought provoking in its way.

165 BUNNY CLUB, POLLY SCATTERGOOD – This one may seem like bias since I am technically a family member, but when we found out we were marrying into her family, we listened to her music. She has an unsual whispery style, but this it the song I always return to. This is a female Lou Reed singing a club song that basically cuts down everything that is going on in the club. A great song. “And I hope there is no love lost. No sir, there is no love left in here.”

166 SQUARE HAMMER, GHOST – Another retro song that I wonder if I respond to because nothing else is like it now, even if there was a lot like it 40 years ago. Catchy, love the riffing, hard not to groove to. Sounds like 80's BOC and Scorpions.

167 THAT WASN’T ME, BRANDI CARLILE – I have made grown men cry playing this song at the rehab I work at, where I used to do it every weekend on the topic of guilt/shame. There is something powerful in here about getting back to who we are, not what we have done. Great song that a patient had to point out to me.

168 SPACE BOOTS, MILEY CYRUS – My favorite pop album of this decade is her Dead Petz album and this is one of the gems on it. A good encapsulation of the albums themes of reminiscing about a lover and then falling into the shadows of the reality as well as some seedy drugs and sex. “Our love it takes me to the moon, but you leave me up there, I’m so marooned.”

Synthfreek likes this.
  22. finslaw

Just a note, I played the #159 in honor of Adam 3 times at work, and That Thing You Do one time. The latter was rough due to lack of practice on my part but I love the major to minor transitions and the part on the bridge where it raises half a step then back down. It was satisfying honoring someone who has passed by playing a song that made people in the room laugh. It felt like the reaction Adam would have gone for.

23. finslaw

I recently overhauled many of the songs on the original list and replaced them, especially since I realized the 80's were not represented well. These were fed in:

BLUEBIRD
    , BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD - Some of the very best acoustic riffing on display here and the essential version ends with the banjo.
    LOLA, THE KINKS - Love how catchy this is while being a subversive hit. The line "I know what I am, I'm glad I'm a man and so is Lola" is an all time favorite.
    DRIFT AWAY, DOBIE GRAY - I try shying away from covers but this the definitive version of this escapism anthem, a song I grew up hearing from my parents.
    BILLION DOLLAR BABIES, ALICE COOPER - Such a cool duet, each of them taking turning on the vocal parts, that animal drum beat and odd/violent lyrics. Classic.
    RADAR LOVE, GOLDEN EARRING - Had to make my own single edit, but this song is a monster. That bass drum groove that many bands would have just stuck to through the duration, but these guys take it into melodic and proggy places. Best driving song.
    WINTERLONG, NEIL YOUNG - So many of his songs to choose from, so why this throwaway? That riff, the violin, the longing lyrics/singing, the solo, the "ooooh la la" backing vocals, the many parts, the ending coda with those backing vocals. Yeah, always was a favorite.
    EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE, THE POLICE - Knowing I failed at the 80's I thought back to old faves that I may have worn off of a little. This was a constant listen and doesn't suffer from the repetition thing Sting seems to like. The best stalker song played at weddings.
    TIME AFTER TIME, CYNDI LAUPER - Always preferred her to Madonna and this song is one of the reasons why. A simple sweet song that endures.
    THE BOYS OF SUMMER, DON HENLEY - Relistened since it seems popular and I never really noticed how nostalgic this is. The "I can see you" line itself recalling anytime you daydreamed or remembered that first cut that ran deepest.
    LOSING MY RELIGION, REM - Another that I may have simply listened to too much long ago. A moody song with many cool parts and I do enjoy performing it too.
    MYSTERIOUS WAYS, U2 - A tough band to place here, could have gone many directions but much of it is too repetitive or slow. I always liked this rocker that comes without the preachiness. Nice bass line, drums and guitar riff.
    VAVOOM - TED THE MECHANIC, DEEP PURPLE - Another tough band to place on here, but the more I thought about it, I love their Morse years as actual songs (rather than instrument exercises) and there is something about this tune about an encounter with a dude in a bar. Love the list of hardships the dude endures from family leading to "he fed them well, he kept them warm." A nice ode with great groove.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  24. Gagnedouze

Gagnedouze Forum Resident

My wife's uncle who is a DJ, DJ'd at our wedding and his number one track to get everyone dancing around the couple in the middle is My Girl. It's a truly wonderful song.

CliffL likes this.
  25. finslaw

In my further self isolation I fleshed the whole thing out to 210 songs (130 Mp3) on one CD. Lots swapped in and out, especially in the 80's. Most noticeable thing for me is slow/dark music often didn't make the cut, including Pink Floyd, Alice in Chains and Black Sabbath (although Ozzy did.) There are songs by those bands I like but it was hard to find a song that didn't feel too bloated for inclusion.

001 - 58 - SUMMERTIME BLUES - EDDIE COCHRAN
    002 - 58 - JOHNNY B. GOODE - CHUCK BERRY
    003 - 57 - NOT FADE AWAY - BUDDY HOLLY
    004 - 58 - ALL I HAVE TO DO IS DREAM - THE EVERLY BROTHERS
    005 - 59 - STAND BY ME - BEN E. KING
    006 - 61 - PLEASE MR. POSTMAN - THE MARVELETTES
    007 - 61 - WILL YOU LOVE ME TOMORROW? - THE SHIRELLES
    008 - 61 - RUNAROUND SUE - DION
    009 - 61 - RUNAWAY - DEL SHANNON
    010 - 61 - MISIRLOU - DICK DALE
    011 - 63 - DON’T THINK TWICE IT’S ALRIGHT - BOB DYLAN
    012 - 63 - BE MY BABY - THE RONETTES