My first and BAD experience with Dual Disc format

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fmuakkassa, Oct 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M Thread Starter

I went today and bought Eric Clapton's "Back Home" and David Bowie's "Reality" in Dual Disc formats. My first.
    For David Bowie I was able to play the DVD part but not the CD part while for Eric Clapton's I was able to play the CD part but not the DVD side! Go figure.
    My DVD is the Pioneer Elite DV37 (which I am planning to upgrade soon).
    The Bowie CD side played in my Sony CD 5 disc changer (El-cheapo one) and Clapton's DVD played on my PC DVD player. so they are not totally defective. To Bowie's credit the back cover states "The audio side of this disc does not conform to CD specifications and therfore not all DVD and CD players will play the audio side of the disc"
    So what IS the format of the CD audio part.
    Anybody encountered these problems?

2. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

The audio data is in CD format, but the CD side of a DualDisc is too thin to meet the CD Redbook specification. The clear polycarbonate layer serves to focus the laser, and on the CD side of a DualDisc the layer is too thin. Therefore, the laser beam cannot be focused to the required size. The spot read by the laser is actually larger than is should be. For that reason the CD side of a DualDisc cannot hold more than 60 minutes, even though the Redbook specification allows more.

Because of this focusing "problem" some machines cannot read the CD side of a DualDisc.

3. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Yes, for the CD side, if you're having problems playing it, you must experiment and find a deck that will handle them. Some do, some don't. Amazing a few labels actually signed off on such a flaw, they must have known it would be a hassle.

:ed:

4. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Dv37? Or 47? I didn't know there was a 37.
    My 45A plays all.

5. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M Thread Starter

Yes it is the DV37. Your player (DV45A) is a newer model. I still have a Pioneer Elite 2002 catalogue and both the DV37 and DV45A are pictured.

6. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.