My free 1962 Grundig Majestic console

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by spartanmanor, Feb 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

That’s a beauty. I have my dad’s Grundig stereo console (purchased in 1958/59). This was the “hi-fi” I grew up with in the 60s and still fire it up once in awhile.
    [​IMG]

EVOLVIST, Man at C&A, pscreed and 2 others like this.
  2. spartanmanor

spartanmanor Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the RSD poster of Hendrix as well. I wonder how many people grabbed those?

jamesmaya likes this.
  3. spartanmanor

[​IMG]

I finally got some parts in for updating. The first change out is the replacement for electrolytic can capacitor. The old cap read 54 and 62. A little off from the 50 50.

4. spartanmanor

I have been slowly working on this one. I have a large part of it recapped and it is sounding really good. The reception is great, especially with no external antenna. It also has much more output power and less distortion to the speakers with what I have done so far. I need to order a few more capacitors I missed the first time around.

[​IMG]

I also replaced a few lamps:

[​IMG]

I need to come up with some dust caps for the speakers the old ones were made of some sort of foam that deteriorated. Thankfully the surrounds are in good shape.

[​IMG]

Slimwhit33 and grbluen like this.
  5. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Love to see these updates. Hats off man that looks like fun and look forward to following the rehab.

spartanmanor likes this.
  6. spartanmanor

It is fun as long as everything works!

Luckily for me, there is a lot of documentation on this unit so it has just been a matter of pulling the old parts and putting in new ones. If this were a non-working unit I would most likely be in over my head. I can do a little troubleshooting but don't have the equipment or experience for finding those tricky problems.

I have found the more time I spend messing around with this stuff the better understanding I have of how they work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.