My Jimi Hendrix guide for beginners.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Local Bloke, May 21, 2022.

1. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

With better sound! :D

2. John Harchar

Some of the Winterland songs are on Concerts but only Fire and Wild Thing, you'd need LAW as a compliment to Concerts (or vice versa)

War Heroes does have its barrel scraping moments (looking at you Peter Gunn) but has enough to make it almost legitimate. It was 2 B-sides away from a solid record.

Isle of Wight is sparse but a lot of people like Carlos Olms' mix on the material compared to Blue Wild Angel.

3. John Harchar

Other than the Isleys songs, I'm not sure you can find many of those others anywhere else as it is.

warewolf95, Trailblazer and C6H12O6 like this.
  4. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

That Songs for Groovy Children Fillmore box is pretty essential too.

5. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President Thread Starter

I suggest getting Cry Of Love, Rainbow Bridge and War Heroes in that order, as an intro to the post-EL studio recordings. Voodoo Soup is a good idea if you want one man's (Alan Dougals') view of how it should have gone. First Rays has *most* of the important songs but a horrible track order and sounds pretty bad, along with the boring cover and missing bits of song intros.

On the other hand, if you use Deezer, Spotify or Apple Music to stream I could make a playlist of all the important songs for you, with a track order heavily influenced by Jimi's works-in-progress ones.

warewolf95 likes this.
  6. John Harchar

Closest thing EH has to a 'complete sessions/concerts' box set.

warewolf95 and A Local Bloke like this.
  7. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

Memory being a terrible thing, I checked my CDs (all boxed up after the last house move, but I ripped them for when I was working away). Turns out I have Cry of Love, War Heroes, Rainbow Bridge and Band of Gypsys - I have no recollection of when I got these! Spinning Band of Gypsys now. Really good and it does sound familiar. I greatly prefer the more fluid bass style on the extended jams.

8. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

A nice summary by the OP, and the first three albums are obviously classics, but I think Smash Hits is really the place to start with Jimi for newbies.

9. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

And watch Berkeley and Woodstock.

10. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

The OP's list seems like a great primer.

My first Jimi was Kiss The Sky in the late 80s, immediately followed by Axis and an LP of Smash Hits.

Never looked back after that.

11. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

RAH Little Wing & some good weed

12. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

Hey I love Peter Gunn however I always lop off Catastrophe.

It`s a fun in the studio interlude. Now if he had only given it the same treatment as Gloria.

A Local Bloke likes this.
  13. A Local Bloke

That's Billy Cox for ya! Noel Redding was a guitarist by trade so it's no wonder his bass parts were not as natural.

It's funny you have Rainbow Bridge, as the first (And only) CD of that was in 2014. Might be a boot.

warewolf95 likes this.
  14. jdthebrit1

jdthebrit1 Forum Resident

Oh yes! [spoken in Churchill the dog voice - for those posters in the UK]

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. A Local Bloke

Bonus tracks on all the most common CD issues. I mention it in the post.
    Same here ^
    Outdated shorthand too! UK left the party early ;)

warewolf95 likes this.
  16. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

If you see song titles like Hot Trigger, Good Times, Voice in the Wind, A Mumblin' Word, Two in One Goes, etc., you are looking at one of the many fakes in which Hendrix involvement is little to none. But the music is still good.

warewolf95 likes this.
  17. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

I used to get a lot of CDs from one shop in York that always had a rack with 5-6 titles for £5 each by various deep catalog artists - Nick Cave, Kiss whatever - 3 would be greats 2 would be duds usually. I'm guessing I grabbed a handful of Hendrix back in 2006ish. Probably a boot then.

18. Motorcity_Dave

Motorcity_Dave Forum Resident

In addition to the OP's list, I'd include Live at Monterey and the BBC Sessions.

19. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

The OP’s advice is what I did as a kid in the 80s figuring it out for myself — and it is still spot on for today. I went into a used record shop and asked the owner to play something by Jimi Hendrix for me (never having hear him). The swelling feedback from Foxy Lady was my introduction and I just couldn’t believe what I was hearing. It’s been almost 40 years since that day and I’ve loved his music ever since. As a guitarist, there is always something new to learn from Jimi - and as a listener, for me it never gets old.

20. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Absolutely fantastic post OP!!!

Im on mobile so I cant link it, but my very first posts on here were a thread where I tried to make sense of all the miscellaneous post death tracks and albums.

That thread might be interesting for anyone interested in this stuff as well.

Peace and love mate. All hail Jimi!

A Local Bloke likes this.
  21. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Song wise, First Rays is my go to for the posthumous stuff. Just a shame the mastering is so bad!!?

22. John Harchar

Noel's bassline for Hear My Train A Comin' is pretty essential to that song. When Bob Babbitt did his version on Midnight Lightning, it just didn't work. He did not make the same mistake on Machine Gun.

Noel did have a tendency to either double the guitar part or keep things basic. But there are a bunch of times on AYE where there's some pretty complex stuff for a guy who just picked it up.

A Local Bloke and warewolf95 like this.
  23. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

There’s a LOT to choose from. It’s Hendrix. It’s all essential.

24. Cranny

Cranny Forum Resident

If I was to recommend to a beginner buying vinyl I would choose the following -

First - the first 3 studio albums plus Smash hits
    Second - Hendrix in the West
    Third - First Rays of the Rising Sun and Valleys of Neptune

This is enough for at least a few months to absorb, then buy Band Of Gypsies which I personally find a tough listen, If that`s still not enough for you by then, just pick up everything else you see :bdance:

25. John Harchar

Here's hoping the (eventual) box corrects that on the Blu 5.1.

warewolf95 likes this.