My New Audio Note UK Oto Phono SE Signature integrated amplifier*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Seafinch, May 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Let the thing break in first, get a good handle on the sound. Each session give it a good 1/2 hour to warm up as well.

Taking the top off is fine, getting it back on again is something else again. I just leave mine unscrewed for quick tube swaps..

Seafinch likes this.
  2. J.D.80

J.D.80 Forum Resident

Very excited to see you've finally gotten the new amp in home. I've been waiting to read this preliminary review for a while, as you well know :)
    Congratulations!

Seafinch likes this.
  3. Potential Energy

Potential Energy Forum Resident

If you already had an external phono stage, could you just run that through the Line level input on the AN unit? Should be straight pass-through, right?

Could obviously compare the external to internal by switching inputs I'd assume.

4. David Cope

David Cope Forum Resident

Beefier and a completely different topology: double c-core, as found in the best AN gear, rather than IE as found in the standard OTO and pictures posted much further up.

(Hey, nice pic!)

5. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I remember Steve favoring the RCA 12AU7. My experience with RCAs is that they are quite organic/musical-sounding.

And they're quite cheap, too. :)

warp2600 and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. Strat-Mangler

For experimenting purposes or to change the flavor depending on what you're about to listen to? Just curious...

7. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I actually find the 12 annoying hex screws prevents me from gratuitous tube rolling. My last amp was the sort where the tubes just stick out of the top, it was hard to fight the temptation to constantly fiddle with tube combinations.

ThorensSme, SandAndGlass and Seafinch like this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

My thing is, find the playback that sounds the best on most of your music and leave it. In my case with the OTO in my mastering room with the AN-E speakers in each corner, an Amperex Dutch Bugle Boy ECC82 (12AU7) gave me some extra goodness. I had it that way for about 6 months, then I switched back to the stock Yugo Ai tube and liked it better, actually. More neutral, easier to judge the difference between recordings. So the stock Ai stayed. But, I had to try something else first, that's the beauty of tube rolling.

BTW, NEVER, NEVER EVER tube roll with great sounding music. Always use less than wonderful recordings. Much easier to tell. I use BEATLES stereo I FEEL FINE off the original Past Masters CD from 1988. That's a lackluster recording that comes in handy for me in many situations, to judge "air" or dynamic range, etc. If you constantly use something amazing sounding you will be lost trying to figure out what tube sounds better. Trust me on this.

Encore, warp2600, jaybird396 and 7 others like this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

I haven't popped the lid on any of my AN gear (except the OTO). Impossible to get the top back on without the Hulk helping me and I trust whatever the AN boys have put in there.

Seafinch likes this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

The thing about the RCA Clear Top 12AU7 is that it's really over-the-top bright. If you need that in your system, go for it. Cheap tube that most people don't know about (only the clear top versions have this sonic signature). But with Audio Note I like a more complex sounding tube, Mullard, Tele or Amperex, etc.

warp2600, SandAndGlass, IanL and 2 others like this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

@Seafinch, one last thing and then I'll shut the **** up.

When you get a handle on the OTO's phono stage, that IS a situation that can be changed to your specific taste. If I remember correctly the supplied phono tubes are an Ai and a 6DJ8, correct? In my OTO the 6DJ8 (AKA 6922) is a Joint Army-Navy (JAN) Philips tube. I find this tube annoyingly bright. Others love the 'detail' it brings. Other 6DJ8s have a different sonic signature completely. This can be useful in making the phono section what you want it to be.

You are not locked in to one sound.

Over and out! Enjoy. It's all good!

12. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Oh shizzle, I was keeping the Oto idea warm but now it's feeling hotter.

Seafinch likes this.
  13. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

congrsts seafinch! hope you love your new system. shalom.

Seafinch likes this.
  14. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Fully agree. But I roll tubes the same way I evaluate all other changes to my gear: I listen to it for at least several days, using all kinds of music that I feel like hearing. I find this the most reliable way--for me at least--to get a grip on the effect of new gear.

IanL likes this.
  15. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Hehe, actually I have somehow lost the screws for my AN DAC. So now I just put the lid back on without the screws. At some point, I'll need to get replacements ...

Don Parkhurst likes this.
  16. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

Nice amp. I’m in week 13 of my wait for my power amp (not Audio Note) and I’m Past being pissed about it. At this point I’ll be happy if it shows up at all.

Seafinch likes this.
  17. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all the info. It’s great to have someone so knowledgeable own the same amp :)

Unfortunately it seems the newest Oto SE Sigs are coming with Sovteks and Psvanes. Once I do get to the point of rolling I’ll start with the solo 12au7 up front and the 68DJ in the phono pre.

marka likes this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

But remember, it could be perfectly fine with the supplied tubes. Don’t assume NOS is always best.

SandAndGlass and Seafinch like this.
  19. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

It's very intuitive that changing the 12AU7 which from the looks of it is basically the lone preamp tube would make the biggest difference, but for some reason the biggest changes I've found were changing the 12AX7. Of course, that's probably because I was rolling in various 5751's which of course is a pretty dramatic difference.

BettisDad, Encore and Seafinch like this.
  20. Strat-Mangler

FWIW, I've never heard a single Sovtek that wasn't easily bested by an NOS tube from one of the great manufacturers. Same with JJ and so many others.

21. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Every Oto owner is well aware that Sovteks shouldn't sound as good as they do in this amp, and we've all heard good tubes.

SandAndGlass and Seafinch like this.
  22. Strat-Mangler

Merely mentioned my opinion. I'm sure some share it and are already aware while others might not.

23. John Mee

John Mee Forum Resident

actually, you will probably discover a few plateaus with them:
    -25-35 hours some of the thinness will disappear
    -100-125 hours, the richness in the midrange will start to appear
    -400 or so the bass will be much more defined and midrange will fill in more and some of the high-end harshness will diminish
    -1000-1100 they will really come in to their own and stabilize.

This comes from doing this with two pair of them....

The E-SPe/HE is one of the real sweet spots in the AN line. You now own one of the others. Some of the remaining ones are the CDT-1/II, DAC 2.1x Signature and the IQ3.

If you are going to come to the Ca. Audio show in July that is pretty much the system that will be there, although we may be swapping it out with the M6/Conqueror. We’ll also have tape there...

marka, Seafinch and Rolltide like this.
  24. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Great post, I enjoyed reading it... I know what you mean about reading reviews while you wait. I ordered an AN P1-SE Signature a little while back, along with AN-E-Lexus HE speakers. I also couldn't agree more that @Warren Jarrett is extremely helpful and very nice to deal with. I'll be following your thread for at least the next month or so. Have fun with the new setup!

Seafinch likes this.
  25. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Do you have a ballpark price on the new TT3 turntable or has that been decided yet? And as it has an external power supply do you know if it uses a universal transformer that can be changed for US/EU frequency and voltage. If I buy an amp in Hong Kong and move to Canada it is a 5 minute solder - but with the TT2 I have to sell it. Can't be used in Canada/US. But I wonder about the TT3 - I may have to ask Peter but if anyone knows...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.