My New Audio Note UK Oto Phono SE Signature integrated amplifier*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Seafinch, May 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

hey
    have you received your AN-E?

Seafinch likes this.
  2. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron Thread Starter

No. Longest wait of my life... :sigh:

3. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

From my experience with other equipment (not the OTO), I feel pretty confident in saying that the sound will be slightly different when the top cover is removed. For a fair comparison of tubes, you need to use the same conditions for each tube—-either cover off all the time or cover on all the time.

timind likes this.
  4. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I leave the case on but unscrewed for easy access.

Seafinch and timind like this.
  5. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Not to put too fine a point on it, but the sound will also be different if the cover is screwed on or just resting on top without being screwed into place. I first discovered this years ago when I had an ARC LS-2 preamp and I was trying different 6DJ8 tubes. It was too much bother to keep re-attaching the top cover each time I tried a different tube so I left it on top without screwing it into place for a few days while tube rolling; then when I had decided which sounded best I re-attached the cover. The sound was different. I then experimented with the cover on and off, and the cover screwed in or not. I actually preferred the sound with the cover totally removed but that was not practical for safety reasons with children in the room.

6. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

This is also a consideration for my Soro SE. It is situated on the second shelf, with just a bit less clearance than is recommended. Initially I thought it would run cooler with the cover off, but I think the cover actually functions as a heat sink. So, until I roll in a pair of 6SL7s that I'm waiting to get back from a friend, the cover sits on but not screwed down. I plan to screw it down once those two tubes are rolled in-- mostly because that's the configuration that most closely matches "factory." And factory, when it comes to AN, is good enough for me.

7. Donivey

Donivey Forum Resident

I'm curious how long you've been waiting? I've also ordered some AN-E's and it's been eleven weeks so far. Thanks, just looking for another data point before I pester someone.

8. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

And the sound should change to an even greater degree if you get some effective vibration isolation under the component.

9. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

I waited 10 months for my TT2 turntable.

If you've seen the show report of how the speakers are made, they are made in a small stream poweed plant by father and son by hand. And apparently the order book is long. I'd be impressed if you get them with 5 months.

Seafinch likes this.
  10. finn

finn Forum Resident

The general lead time for speakers is approximately 10 weeks from order date but at this time of the year with summer holidays in Europe, it might get pushed out to 12-13 weeks. this only applies to speakers with internal x-overs, the Signature versions are a minimum 20 week lead time due to the manufacturing requirements of the copper foils in the x-overs.
    You shouldn't have much longer to wait though as long as the order was placed with the factory when you placed the order with the retailer. cheers.

11. Subagent

I just picked up new pair of AN-E's on Monday. I ordered them in mid-May. That was pretty fast, all things considered. OTOH, my Soro was a solid 4 month wait. I do know that when the AN-E's arrived and when the Soro arrived, they arrived as parts of very large shipments of Audio Note goods. So, aside from whatever build and ship time is involved, I suspect that one also needs to factor in the "enough stuff to make up a shipment to the dealer" element. When I picked up the Soro, there were unopened boxes of new AN components everywhere in the store. Very exciting to see.

12. Hifi Kenny

Hifi Kenny Forum Resident

How are the AN-Es doing?

13. Subagent

Thanks for asking. In summary: they are doing fantastically!

I turn on the Soro when I get home from the office (5:00-ish) and put a cd on repeat and let it run for a couple hours before I sit down to listen. I may drop that ritual in a few days, and let whatever additional break-in is required happen while I'm listening. I am also still experimenting with placement, but feel like I'm within a few degrees and inches of optimal.

It is difficult for me to describe precisely what I am hearing, but I will give it a go. First and foremost, I would say that they do everything right enough (or perhaps nothing wrong enough) that nothing stands out as being "off." There is a sort of balance-- bass, midrange and treble all work together brilliantly, leaving nothing standing out as "not as good as x." The combination of the Soro se and the AN-Es does not offer some of what I was getting from a push-pull 300B amp and Zu Souls. That combination could create amazing holographic and detailed sound. But it did not get everything equally right. Always there was something that stood out (usually the highs) as being inadequate compared to the rest of the sound. Also that combination could be a bit too etched-- fascinating, but ultimately not satisfying.

I know you've heard this before, but this setup is involving. I don't remember ever getting so lost in the music before. At least not on any system of mine. Taken individually, I don't know if high, mids, and lows are anything extraordinary. But together they work as one, which is really nice.

Richard Austen likes this.
  14. Seafinch

The AN-E/SPE HE speakers are finally here! I've only been able to spend a couple hours with them, but so far I'm really pleased. Lots of placement tweaking and break-in to go... I'll keep you posted.

[​IMG]

ddutch, IanL, jonwoody and 28 others like this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That looks nice. Play around with your toe-in a bit. You might want to aim them toward you a bit more, until you can see the inner sides of the cabinets from your sweet spot. It's not quite AN UK authorized set up but it might improve your soundstaging.

Enjoy. Break in for a week or two.

16. Seafinch

Thanks Steve - I plan to do a bunch of experimenting, so I'll give that a shot for sure.

17. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Let us know. Remember, an inch at a time. Don't rush it. When the sound locks in, you'll know it.

Seafinch likes this.
  18. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Immaculately shot and edited, as always. :righton:

Seafinch likes this.
  19. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

Great shot, and a really cool room. Congrats!

20. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Looks really nice. Great finish :righton:

Seafinch likes this.
  21. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Beautiful room, beautiful speakers. Congrats!

Looking at this photo and comparing it to your room photo with the DeVores reminded me exactly of why I moved on from the O/93. As much as I enjoyed the sound I just got tired of having to pull the speakers way out like you did.

Rolltide and Seafinch like this.
  22. Seafinch

Yes. I’m really excited about gaining all that space back! I’m fortunate that my room seems pretty ideal for the AN-E’s needs.

23. slcaudiophile

slcaudiophile Forum Resident

great set-up ... looks fantastic.

Seafinch likes this.
  24. Fabrice

Fabrice Active Member

A very nice and beautiful system indeed. The room seems so nice either ! Enjoy~

Seafinch likes this.
  25. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Any follow-up thoughts on how the AN-Es compare/contrast to the DeVore O/93s?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.