My New Audio Note UK Oto Phono SE Signature integrated amplifier*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Seafinch, May 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neilspeed

neilspeed Forum Resident

Nice system! This system got me off the merry-go-round. Enjoy.

Seafinch likes this.
  2. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I've been thinking about the power tubes in my Oto lately, and was thinking back to this thread. Greg, what happens when tubes go bad in the Oto? Does it tend to be a dramatic death with loud bangs and sparks, or is it more like realizing you're driving on a flat tire?

I know the answer probably varies a lot, but I ask because tube amps I've owned to this point have been very polite about this, they tend to blow a fuse on startup or just play with three tubes. For some reason I have anxiety over my first bad Oto tube. :)

Richard Austen and Seafinch like this.
  3. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron Thread Starter

Quick update!

I'm in heaven. Oto is sitting at about 700+ hours and my AN-E/Spe-HE are now at about 500. I'm really happy with how everything is sounding.

I know saying it sounds "musical" doesn't really say much - but I just posted in the "Best Speakers For Upright Bass" thread that I'm really pleased with how these speakers do and quickly received a response saying "I bet you are. Those are built to be a musical instrument as much as they are electronics." And that feels like the most accurate statement about these speakers (and the amp) as I've heard. This is the happiest (with my setup) as I've ever been! Trying really hard not to imagine what amps up the AN line would sound like :help:.

SirMarc, james, Ulises and 11 others like this.
  4. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

now i know what is my destination speakers: AN-E lexus hemp!

congrats and enjoy!

waterclocker and Seafinch like this.
  5. Seafinch

Figured I should put a recent(ish) photo up...

[​IMG]

6. Seafinch

Also! Break-in is real! I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. (I'm several pours of scotch in right now).

7. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

@Seafinch: where’d you source your turntable plinth?

Seafinch likes this.
  8. Seafinch

Chris Harban / Woodsong

He did the refurb of my 301 too. Highly recommended. I couldn't be happier with his work and communication.

IanL, johnnypaddock and googlymoogly like this.
  9. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Forum Resident

I have almost the exact same system and am really pleased with it. I listened to a Billie Holiday album last night that I had considered giving away for years because it sounded dull and I thought it was a bad pressing or mastering. It sounded absolutely glorious. I have never heard Billie Holiday this way before!
    I have had the Oto for a year. I changed the power tubes to Siemens NOS. Great! I'm thinking about upgrading the volume pot to one of those that clicks when you turn it and perhaps at some point getting an M3 RIAA. I would not exclude moving to a Jinro at some point, but it's quite an investment and the system really sounds great now. Also, I actually like that the Oto is small and doesn't consume much power. That's an advantage if you live in a mid-size apartment without a very large room.

10. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

I’ve never had an OTO in my system, but after I added an M2 and witnessed the massive improvement it brought to my PrimaLuna ProLogue Four I was dead set on getting an AN power amp as well. So now the PL is replaced with a pair of Quests and it’s friggin unbelievable. I think a lot can be attributed to synergy though, and you’ve got that inherently with the OTO. And it’s a nice compact package to boot (while the Quests aren’t very wide, they are awkwardly deep).

Anyway, enjoy and keep the great pics coming. Your space is very cool.

Seafinch and Fred Hansen like this.
  11. gov

gov Forum Resident

Insanely awesome setup but more importantly I can imagine how good it sounds! Next round of upgrades will include a serious look at AN.

Side note—what lamp is that? I’ve been looking for a low light warm glowing (like a tube!) for some time. Looks like that fits the bill possibly—can you share details?

Seafinch likes this.
  12. Seafinch

Thanks! Yes, the setup both looks and sounds amazing. I’m very happy.

Here’s a link to the lamp.

Mlle. Aurora, gov and johnnypaddock like this.
  13. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Your system does look stunning.:)

Seafinch likes this.
  14. neilspeed

neilspeed Forum Resident

Yes warm up and break in are important in this system. I turn mine on when I get home from work and then listen a couple hours later when it is very hot. It also sounds better after you have listen to at least one side of an LP.
    In reference to break in, the system does go off a bit if you do not use it for a week or more. Thus; whenever I return from vacation I need to leave it on for a while and play it for a couple of nights before it blooms again.

Seafinch likes this.
  15. gregr

gregr Forum Resident

The Sovtek EL84M tubes red plated and hissed a lot. I'm glad I was there to switch it off. Other tubes have just faded, performance wise. The OTO seems fine, but I don't leave it unattended (for the most part). In my thinking, it's only a 10 watt amp...how much damage could it really do?

I've actually started doing something that worries me a bit; maybe someone else will know if it's dangerous -- I'm using different brand new production EL84 tubes in each channel. Mullard EL84s by the output transformers and Sovtek EL84s by the 12ax7s. Is there anything about the circuit that would prohibit this? I've read that the signal is sent in full to each tube in a channel and then remuxed (?) before being output...this shouldn't cause any trouble, should it? Since I've started doing this I've stopped thinking about the EL84 tubes altogether. I like the sound.

16. james

james Summon The Queen

best room on the internet

Seafinch likes this.
  17. gregr

gregr Forum Resident

Do you know if Audio Note will do the volume pot change to a stepped attenuator? I've thought of this too...whenever the OTO sounds a little harsh I twist the volume knob up and down a few times and it tends to straighten everything out. (Sometimes the input switches need a jiggle too.)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    Fred Hansen likes this.
  18. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Forum Resident

I haven't had any such issues. I would think our local audio note dealer could perform this simple operation. But I would like to know if it's meaningful.

19. Andy Saunders

Love to see AN install Remote Control on their amplifiers.

20. gregr

gregr Forum Resident

I'm picking nits, I suppose. Could be imagining it.

Fred Hansen likes this.
  21. Seafinch

I’ve been surprised at how little this has bothered me.

Andy Saunders and Fred Hansen like this.
  22. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Good to know on the tubes. I've heard a lot of stories about EL84s going out with a bang, so I've been wondering. I wish tubes had a little meter that showed remaining life, but then they wouldn't be the lovable baroque technology we enjoy. I've been using my Tungsrams for a year now and have been considering swapping them out for a replacement set I got, with the thoughts that too soon > too late.

In terms of mixing the tubes, I think your only real risk is it sounding bad. Mixing EL84's with EL84L's or 7189's might be a problem due to different current draws, but that could also just be me trying to sound tube-smart.

gregr likes this.
  23. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I'm not bothered by the lack of a remote, but I am slightly bothered by how little usable range the Oto volume control has. I feel the entire range I use is perhaps 2-3mm. Turning it up or down just a tad requires an almost imperceptible change.

Seafinch likes this.
  24. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

I gained a couple of “hours” on my volume range by inserting a pair of -10 dB in-line attenuators between my M2 and Quests. I imagine you could achieve a similar result if you ran a pair on the OTO’s tape loop. I use Rothwell, but there are others available.

Link: Attenuators

Fred Hansen and Seafinch like this.
  25. Andy Saunders

Can we see more pictures of your T/T please?:)

Seafinch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.