My New Audio Note UK Oto Phono SE Signature integrated amplifier*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Seafinch, May 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

I plan to try the switch in the tape loop on my M2 Phono. This should be the most harmless/versatile spot for it. Of course my problem now is that an M5 has my attention and that doesn’t have a tape loop. :cry:

oregonalex likes this.
  2. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

Thank you for asking. I have been in the hospital (again) for the past 3 weeks, for various problems that are all caused by radiation treatments that I endured about 40 years ago. I had childhood Hodgkin's Disease (cancer of the lymphatic system), was cured by radiation, but then 40 years later have to deal with the damage from the cure. This week I am much improved, and back to work. So, I've been answering the backed-up messages, here and in my telephone voice mails.

SirMarc, slcaudiophile, marka and 6 others like this.
  3. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Forum Resident

So sorry to hear this, Warren. I'm glad you are recovering. Have a wonderful weekend

4. Warren Jarrett

Thank you. Well, I think of it this way: I didn't die from Hodgkin's Disease when I was only about 20 because the radiation saved my life. So some pain and discomfort now, 40 years later, was a VERY worthwhile trade-off.

5. gov

gov Forum Resident

Hope you are on the mend for good Warren. All the best.

6. plimpington2

plimpington2 Forum Resident

Sorry to drag this thread back up - but I’d like to hear what you have to say about your new T versus your LP12?

Justin

7. Seafinch

Seafinch Preferred Patron Thread Starter

Hey Justin, sorry I'm just seeing this. The new table is wonderful! Using an SPU #1e on the Schick 12" arm - I'll never question the value of a near perfect cartridge/tonearm match again. Music feels life-size and very engaging. The LP12 is a wonderful table too - in fact I still have it - but there's something really fun about the 301.

8. Seafinch

Thought I'd post a quick update on the room/system.

As I'm sure most of us are, I'm a fidgeter. Hard for me to leave well enough alone. After a brief test of the system on the long wall I'm back to the short wall and corner placement. I've been tweaking speaker placement 1/2" at a time and a couple days ago everything seems to have clicked in a way that it hadn't before. It could be placement, or break-in, but after a bout of boomy bass everything seems to have tightened up significantly. My toe in is also a lot less than I had been using before, and just as @Steve Hoffman had suggested early in the thread, it's much better this way. I'm really, really happy with how it's sounding right now.

I also added some GAIA III feet on the Garrard (had cheap Chinese/ebay feet before) and that's made a nice improvement for the analog side!

Now for the pictures... I've included some of the rest of the room since since it's been a while. (don't mind the magazines under the speaker stands - my converted garage floors are slightly uneven).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good Vibes, Art K, SirMarc and 14 others like this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Nice, pleasing looking room. Glad it's sounding good for you. I have the same guitar amp covers on all my amps, BTW..

Seafinch likes this.
  10. Seafinch

Thanks! Yeah for amps that aren't traveling a lot they're great!

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  11. spartree

spartree Forum Resident

The Eames chair is great in this room. Very nicely done.

I’ve been trying a little less toe-in lately as well. It seems to have helped with the HF/LF balance.

Seafinch likes this.
  12. Seafinch

Thanks.

Yes. That’s what I was feeling too. I was getting a bit too much HF before and now it seems perfect. Really happy.

13. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

@Seafinch , I have a set of the Isoacoustics Gaia III winging their way to me to put under my Garrard 401 plinth (there are just sorbothane pucks under it now). Did you make your plinth, or have someone build it for you?

14. Seafinch

Nice. You should be happy! It was made by Chris Harban at Woodsong.

googlymoogly likes this.
  15. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Looks like it's a stacked, multi-ply construction?

Seafinch likes this.
  16. Seafinch

Correct. There are better pics of the plinth a page or two back.

googlymoogly likes this.
  17. james

james Summon The Queen

always fun having to ask about Audio Note prices:

can someone tell me what the Oto Phono SE Signature retails for?

18. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

I believe it's about $6500, give or take a few C notes. That's based on a €5800 price that I saw somewhere recently. Before it was "disappeared."

JMAC and james like this.
  19. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Totally gorgeous room and setup! Light and airy and love the Eames chair it matches the veneer on your E's. Just a really great vibe all around looks like a great place to kick back and listen.

Seafinch likes this.
  20. Jazz fan from Brazil

Jazz fan from Brazil Well-Known Member

Do you know how this amp compares to the OTO Phono SE Silver Signature? Is it worth the price difference?

21. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I don't own an Oto (or any other EL34 amp) any longer, but if I did, I'd sure take advantage of this sale on Mazda/Cifte El84 tubes!

22. Seafinch

Thanks for the heads up. Ordered.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  23. Warren Jarrett

Thanks from me, too. I have many EL-84 amps. So I read and followed your lead, and bought 4 of them. But why do you keep writing "EL34", when the Oto uses EL84? I should go back and see if EL34s are also on sale, because I have amps that use those, too.

24. Mulroydave

Mulroydave Forum Resident

I’m new to tube rolling have just got an Oto Signature earlier this year. What’s special about these tubes ? Must say I’m tempted to try them...

25. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I got 3 out of the 4 characters correct. Where in modern life can we really expect better then 75% accuracy?

At this point I should mention I haven't owned an EL34 amp in years either :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.