My recent rogue audio upgrade praise.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Justinjtm, Sep 28, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justinjtm

Justinjtm Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I just Wanted to take a second to give my thoughts on my recent upgrade from the rogue sphinx 3 to the coronas magnum II. I was hesitant to upgrade having just bought the Sphinx a year ago but just really had the itch for the CM. Well recently found a CM2 in great shape for $1350 which I felt was a fair price and bought it unheard. Just hooked it up with my KEF LS50’s and KEF sub and while I really enjoy and recommend my Sphinx it’s hard to describe just how much better at least to me this actually sounds. The depth of the music and increased base and clarity is just something else. I’m super pumped about this amp and maybe eventually will try tube rolling but for now it’s exceptional as is. Anyway, I’m sure it has been discussed before but I’m just really impressed with the products Rogue are putting out for the money especially this one.

cheers,

Justin

2. 500Homeruns

500Homeruns Peaceful Punk

Glad you are enjoying your upgrade :thumbsup:

Echoes Myron likes this.
  3. Helom

Helom Forum member

Yeah the CMII is a big step up from the Sphinx.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

congrats! owned a CM II for a few years and know exactly what you mean!
    A giant value.

5. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Welcome to the board. I'm sure Rogue appreciates the praise / press.

6. Justinjtm

Justinjtm Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Thanks all. What else I find interesting is how much better my sub operates. It’s definitely louder and more pronounced than with the Sphinx which is interesting because the Sphinx had the same power if I’m not mistaken.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  7. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

Congratulations on your new Cronus Mag II, one of Audios best values, bar none:righton:

Echoes Myron likes this.
  8. Helom

Helom Forum member

More power on paper but strains under any remotely tough load.

9. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

If you're rolling tubes, you really only have to roll the center preamp tube. So it's a pretty cheap upgrade, even with experimentation. I bought a number of different well tested used tubes rather than spending money on NOS. I ended up using an RCA Cleartop. I just filled out the sound I though my system was lacking. It have the sound some punch where it needed. I'm not suggesting that this tube will work for you. But, you can just roll in different tubes as you like. Since it's just one tube, you don't have to mess around with matched sets. Just buy different ones that you find at inexpensive prices then roll them to see if you like the results. I didn't spend more than $100 on tubes.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  10. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

@Justinjtm congrats on the new amp! I bet it sounds killer with your LS50s.

I was close to buying a new CMIII a couple months ago, but as with many things these days there is a backlog. So I went another direction, but stilll would like to check it out someday.

11. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

12. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

Congrats on the new amp. I really enjoyed a Sphinx I for a few years - I was all set to upgrade to a CM this year. I ended up ordering a Raven (which I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of) but it was a tough choice, I'm sure I would have been fine with the CM...

Enjoy it!

Echoes Myron and Rick58 like this.
  13. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I've always heard good reports on the CM.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  14. gakerty

gakerty Forum Resident

Rogue is a high quality American company that begs the cliche' "punches way above its cost". I have a Rogue RP7 and Stereo 100 and am very satisfied. Rolling tubes is so much fun too. If you can get your hands on an Amperex 7316 in that 12AU7 slot... wow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.