My stupid ? for today

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Andy, May 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy

Andy New Member Thread Starter

If I understand these things most (maybe all) SACD players will also play standard CDs. If you have a dual layer hybrid disc how does it know which layer to play? And for those forum members that have embraced SACD are you using a two channel or multi-channel set-up?

2. Paul Chang

Paul Chang Forum Old Boy, Former Senior Member Has-Been

Andy,

The stupid controller chip in an SACD player should have a default mode, and more than likely it will play the high res. layer in that mode. The user should be able to change the setups but I haven't got a player yet so don't the details.

3. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

My unit has a defualt mode but you can choose which mode that you'd like it to be (2 CH or MC). It always defaults to CD mode over hi-res modes, though. Therefore, if you insert a hybrid disc it always plays the CD layer first.

I use both 2 CH and 5.1 MC. Most of my SACDs are older reissues so I mostly listen to the 2 CH mode. The MC mixes are interesting but it's difficult for me to reprogram my mind to hear my old favorites in 5.1. The 2 CH is usually pretty awesome. On some newer recordings where the recording was specifically made to do MC playback it sounds incredible.

Hope this helps some...

4. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Magic, what SACD player do you have? My SA-14 and 333ES players always default to the SACD layer on hybrid disks, but a friend who has the 777ES (earlier stereo version) has the same problem you do: it always defaults to the CD layer on a hybrid SACD. Obviously it switches to SACD on a single layer disk, but even if he inserts a hybrid into the player AFTER a single layer, it converts back to CD. This appears to be a bug in some Sony players.

As for the question regarding multi-channel vs stereo, I have no interest in spending the money for three more speakers and a home theater receiver in order to hear surround sound. (I can't imagine there are that many receivers out there that sound as good as high quality stereo tube seperates, anyway.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.