Mystery Science Theater 3000 some kind of awful

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Mirrorblade.1, Jun 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh that's right! I forgot about that! Joel was inspired by GYBR as well as those old Warner Bros. cartoons where the theater silhouette would stand up and interact with Bugs Bunny or whomever. :)

2. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

And what have you done of note with YOUR life?

3. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

Mark Nelson likes this.
  4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Ha! That's really funny!

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

mj_patrick and Vidiot like this.
  6. tcj

tcj Senior Member

I've never heard anything on MST3K that sounded like a "fratboy jeer." I'd have a higher opinion of fratboys if they could pull off the pop-culture jokes like Mike/Joel and the bots could. This show was, and still pretty much is, geek territory.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Did they ever do Santa Claus vs. the Martians? Maybe that one would be a bridge too far.

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

They sure did.

Vidiot and guy incognito like this.
  9. guy incognito

They must really "like" that movie, because both the Cinematic Titanic and Rifftrax crews revisited it later on.

10. guy incognito

11. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Voldar: “All this trouble over a fat little man in a red suit.”
    Tom: “Truman Capote?”

12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Is this real life?

13. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

I love MST3K and it's a constant source of irritation to me that the DVD boxsets don't get a region 2 release.

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Can you get a Region Free player?

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I literally saw Santa Claus Conquers the Martians in the theater when I was 10 in 1964, and I was in shock for pretty much the entire show. Even at that tender young age, I had to reset the thermostat for what a bad movie was after that experience.

GuildX700 and Chip TRG like this.
  16. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

I have an MST3K and/or Rifftrax movie running in the background of my computer for 5 or 6 hours every single day. There are websites that stream it 24/7. No matter how many times I've seen an episode (some I've seen dozens of times), there is always something that I missed before, or react to in a different way as I age.

For anyone who misses MST3K and hasn't gotten into Rifftrax, I ask "Why not?" The same three voices from the last few seasons, and hundreds of additional old-school shorts and movies (stick to the VODs for the MST3K-like experience of bad, low-budget flicks). All that's missing is the silhouettes which you could add on your own if you really wanted them.

The last Rifftrax VOD was "Rock 'N Roll Nightmare". Astoundingly bad film, hilarious riffing.

17. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

You might want to loosen that tie a little, Ward.

18. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

I do have one, but the import duty and Post Office "collection fees" on anything over the equivalent of £12 makes the MST3K boxes prohibitively expensive.

I have managed to pick up a few second-hand, but I wish they were released brand-new in the UK.

19. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

I sit in a weekly tele-conference call at work and they take "roll call" to see who is on the line, and every time I quietly say to my co-worker next to me "robot roll call". I never have the guts to reply "Tom Servo".

slipkid likes this.
  20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Ha! That is awesome!

21. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

You, sir, are my hero! :agree:

I make no secrets or apologies that I absolutely LOVE the movie, although as I first saw the actual movie (and not he MST3K take on it), I tend to like it better with my own commentary, although the MST3K version is a classic to be expected.

I took great pleasure in running it in the theatre I work in this past holiday. The rights were never renewed and it fell into public domain years ago, so it was perfectly legit. I ran it as an unannounced bonus before our 'normal' Christmas movie. The crowd loved it (for it's awfulness, of course). Have you seen the bluray or it? Not perfect by any means, but it's the best print we are ever gonna see of SCCTM, and it's totally worth it!

(And I am the proud owner of a 40x60 original poster for this beast. I tend to stick to film in my collection and not paper, but I almost died when I found it in a theatre attic!)

hi_watt likes this.
  22. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I've only seen one and thought it was pretty bad, the This Island Earth episode.
    The movie was so hacked up that of course it made little sense.

23. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

That was the movie, and yes, it's hacked to pieces. A lot of MST3K episodes had to be edited for time/content, but it kind of just adds to the overall poor quality of the movies they riff. Still, I have a hard time with the episodes where the plot of the movie makes little sense.

24. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

And for fans of Jon Mikl Thor, there's this classic from Season Six:

25. JETman

JETman Forum Resident

How does it feel to be so amusing? :laugh:

nbakid2000 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.