Name an overlooked obscure 90's record!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by steeler1979, Apr 15, 2014.

1. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

The run from 2x Removed through Between The Bridges is tremendous, but I did enjoy the Double Cross also. Rare to see a band with four quality songwriters. These days I find myself enjoying the Jay Ferguson songs the most, which was not always the case before.

2. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Seam- The Problem with Me: Just great indie style rock with a bit of emo thrown in

seam.jpg

3. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

4. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

A few more:

Mysteries of Life - Keep a Secret, Come Clean
    Hang Ups - So We Go
    Straitjacket Fits - Melt
    United States Three - Le Temps Du Tempo
    Flop - Fall Of The Mopsqueezer, Whenever You're Ready

5. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

The Flashing Lights, "Where the Change Is" (1999). I got to know about them because of my fascination with Canadian rock music in the late 1990's, which all started because my college's cable system carried MuchMusic rather than MTV. The album is in a power-pop style similar to Sloan, although more stripped-down and garage-band-like.

The Flashing Lights, "Half the Time"

6. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Actually, they were still The Sidewinders when they released this. (see my above post)
    They later had to change their name to The Sand Rubies, as they found there was another band already using the name The Sidewinders.

Fantastic album, though, as was their debut "Witchdoctor".

Beatles4503 likes this.
  7. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Yes, one million times.

Woodville and sublemon like this.
  8. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I used to have this disc and one other. Probably should have kept them.

phillyal1 and Holy Diver like this.
  9. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

Is this the one that has the bonus live disc?

Rocketdog and mschrist like this.
  10. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Stanford Prison Experiment-The Gato Hunch-sort of like if Fugazi were more interested in Sabbath tempos and heaviness-

kinglewi and trem two like this.
  11. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

I have met like 2 people who even know who that band is, almost every friend I've shown it had never heard them before and falls in love with it. I grew up in the 90s and didn't hear a single one of their songs on the radio or mtv. On the flip side I had heard the cornershop album you mentioned

TomNYC likes this.
  12. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Ah the Party Album.

sans_matty, Rocketdog and mschrist like this.
  13. Beatles4503

Beatles4503 Senior Member

Ah yes...you are correct sir!

By the way, the later 90's release "Return of The Living Dead" is excellent as well.

Rocketdog likes this.
  14. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I'm going to have to check out some of your recommendations in this thread. We seem to like some of the same things.

15. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

I liked Matt Murphy's previous band, the Super Friendz, even more.
    Both Mock Up Scale Down and Slide Show are fantastic albums.

Rocketdog and mschrist like this.
  16. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Always hard to judge how overlooked something is around here, some of the ones in this thread had a pretty good run and I wouldn't say they were necessarily overlooked. And that may also be the case for the band Walt Mink too, because they did plug away through most of the 90s, and put out a pretty solid string of records, but I don't think they got much success from it. Listening to El Producto today, and as usual it's gonna get some repeats in the coming days. It's only 38 minutes so goes by pretty fast, and sounds so refreshing whenever I remember to play it that I always listen a few times. I'd recommend it to just about everyone who likes guitar rock, almost like a combination of Led Zeppelin III and early Elvis Costello. I think Pitchfork is probably responsible for the bump they got with this one since they gave is something like a perfect review, but I don't think they were that big a site back in those days. They also had it surprisingly high on their top 100 albums of the 90s, so it might've gotten quite a bit of later recognition from that, but sadly, the band had already released their farewell album by that time and so it didn't help, and now this major label release has been OOP for quite a few years (I think), but still can be had on the used market for relatively cheap. All of their records are good, but this one does stand out in my mind.

Skydog7 likes this.
  17. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Re Mysteries Of Life

Did you know John Strohm covered Alibi on the Velo-Deluxe album? (Not as good as the MOL version.) Strohm and Jake Smith were bandmates in Antenna. If you like MOL you'll like Antenna's Hideout record; Smith and Strohm split singing and songwriting down the middle.

[/90s geek]

18. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Yeah I remember Cornershops single Brimful of Asha being played all over the place and the album considered in the top records of the year for that year. IMHO you had to dig deeper to find out and/or hear Slowdive unless you just happened to be a fan of shoegaze.

NapalmBrain likes this.
  19. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I will give you a few, but not from pop/rock.

Dwight Yoakam - Gone, A Long Way Home (If There Was A Way and This Time are regarded as classics, and these two often get overlooked. But they are still Yoakam/Anderson, and are nearly as good as the first two)

For those of you not familiar at all with Yoakam, run don't walk to his classic albums.

Steve Earle - Train A' Comin', I Feel Alright, El Corazon (Earle fell out of the mainstream in the 90s, but the albums were great, especially Train a' Comin')

20. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

21. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

And HOW could I forget

Lilys - Ecsame The Photon Band, BRIEF HISTORY OF AMAZING LETDOWNS
    Poole - Alaska Days, The Late Engagement

kinglewi and sublemon like this.
  22. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

sublemon and Jerry Horne like this.
  23. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Overwhelming Colorfast: Two Words

nuclear_error and Oliver like this.
  24. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

Various artists, "Great Jewish Music: Marc Bolan" (1996). Which is a tribute album, but it's also the most entertaining tribute album I've heard, because nobody plays anything straight: every song on it is distorted to the edge of recognizability. The best track is Rebecca Moore's spaced-out "Telegram Sam", but I can't find that online, so I'll post the Melvins' version of "Buick MacKane" instead:

Melvins, "Buick MacKane"

Sordel and entropyfan like this.
  25. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I remember hearing these guys doing an in the studio show at a college radio station. They were great. Best cover of The Beatles "She Said" ever.