Nat King Cole: "Hittin' the Ramp" - early-period set from Resonance, rel. Nov. 1, 2019*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Jul 19, 2019.

1. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

This got delivered from Amazon yesterday! Two CDs down and I cannot believe how beautiful it all sounds. I’ll post more as I make my way through it!

Rob

2. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I received my box of vinyl this morning and I’ve worked my way through five sides so far. What a beautiful set and the sound is very good and the music exudes pure joy. Thanks to the team for pulling this off. You should be proud of what you’ve done here. I am looking forward to hearing all of this music in time.

colormesinatra, hodgo, ggjjr and 7 others like this.
  3. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

The alternative 1943 Beautiful Moons Ago sounds like a rehearsal take... I don't think I've heard the Trio this loose before. Very fascinating to me: I'm so glad we have this.

I needed to relax recently, played the 1942 Lester Young session on headphones, and it worked perfectly. :)

On the first two 1939 instrumentals where Nat doubles on celeste--Two Against One and Moon Song--Oscar's guitar breaks allow Nat to switch over, but on You're My Life, Nat switches seamlessly from celeste to piano, the last celeste note still audible during the first piano note: amazing.

4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Scott Wenzel from Mosaic Records dug around at Rutgers and found that for us, and Doug Pomeroy did a new transfer for us. Oddly, it was on the flip-side of the disk that gave us the live on-the-radio version of "I'm Gonna Move to the Outskirts of Town." I have zero idea how a studio take and the radio take wound up on the same disk. Go figure!

Also, I suspect (but do not know for a fact) that the "Beautiful Moons" alternate was either a c. 1943 disk-to-disk dub, OR it ran too close to the center of the disk, because over the last 60 seconds or so, the high frequency content gradually dropped off precipitously, until it was a murky, muddy mess at the end. Making that one listenable was a challenge!

Those tracks are so "sweet," in the best musical sense of that word, and I love how they don't all come to some big, rousing finish. (I have wondered if, at the session, Norman Granz or the engineer would give some sort of signal that they were down to, say, 15 seconds of lacquer time left, at which time they had a plan to just "bring it to a close, boys!")

I assume that Nat was using a swivel-style piano stool like the one we have here at the house:
    DSC_7894.JPG
    Bill Miller did a similar piano/celeste trick on the opening of "You Do Something To Me" on Sinatra's Swinging Session. IIRC, there is a photo of Miller's piano/celeste setup at Capitol/Melrose, circa 1955, with some sort of goofy sign on top of the piano. I'm sure it's posted here someplace!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  5. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

Alright! I made it through the entire set and I truly did not want it to end. I can't thank those enough, that were involved, especially at a time when we don't get many Nat releases anymore since the Analogue Productions releases and then the Stardust--The Rare Television Performances (2-CD Set) from 2015.

Thank you, thank you @jtaylor @MLutthans and others I have forgotten. (They are the only two forum handles I can remember off-hand.)

First things first, yesterday, I finished listening to all 7 CDs and later on in the day when I decided to run errands, I found this note on my apartment door (Can't post it on the site because it is not a URL...(rolls eyes))

It reads: Hi! I just wanted to say I really enjoy the music your play. The Jazz is always a great start to my day! <3 - your neighbor E31

Second, I still can not get over how wonderful this music sounds. Some of my favorites include any and all renditions of Black Spider Stomp, Scotchin' with the Soda, There's no anesthetic for love, Stop the red light's on, and the 2/25/1941 set with Anita Boyer on vocals.

Lastly, I've decided to roll right into NKC's Capitol Mosaic set. It seems like a logical extension to me since I can't get enough of the new set.

All the best,
    Rob

6. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Can't give anything away as things are FAR from being finalized, but if everything comes together Cole fans could be enjoying some previously unreleased (and undocumented) live recordings in the not-too-distant future.

7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

My heart just skipped a beat!!!!

CBackley, Dignan2000, hodgo and 2 others like this.
  8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Could there be any chance of you guys possibly working on a Django Reinhardt set in the future? Would love to hear what you guys could do with that. Thanks

colormesinatra likes this.
  9. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

Will's book on Cole is now available. He speaks of the "Live" performances that have surfaced in recent years.

10. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Will's book?? I am not familiar with it.

11. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

12. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

And possibly one or two others he doesn’t mention.

colormesinatra, RSteven and Simon A like this.
  13. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I had to look this one up. There's actually one phrase on vibes in the middle of the intro:

(celeste, celeste, vibes, piano)

Even cooler, I think. :D

Rockford & Roll and RSteven like this.
  14. MLutthans

you are correct! There is something where Bill Miller changes back and forth very quickly, but that must not be it. My goof!

RSteven and BeatleJWOL like this.
  15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I have heard six of the ten lps so far and the pressings have been flawless. The music is so joyful. I don’t listen to much music from this era so I’m pretty uninformed when it comes to this material but I’m really enjoying it. I really like the idea of putting the records in double lp covers. It makes pulling them out easier and safer. I have Keith Jarrett’s Sun Bear box and it’s a little unwieldy having all the lps loose in the box. Again kudos to everyone for doing a great job on everything from sound to design of the packaging.
    P.S. Oscar Moore is a revelation and it’s so cool to hear Nat really play the piano with such gusto.

MLutthans, jtaylor and Simon A like this.
  16. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I'm on disc 5 of 7 and working through the CD box set. I just searched and located this thread. I'm very happy this thread exists, and looking forward to reading through Mr. Lutthans and others' comments about the source material and work that went into compiling this. Thanks for all the hard work, and for the posts here. I have more Nat in my collection than any other recording artist, and so glad that 80 years after most of this stuff was recorded people still care enough about it for us to get new releases of the material!

JeffreyB, kennyluc1, ggjjr and 8 others like this.
  17. Radio

Radio Forum Resident

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    bozburn, ggjjr, CBackley and 6 others like this.
  18. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    CBackley, MLutthans, Simon A and 3 others like this.
  19. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Incredibly well-deserved!

20. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Very well done.
    peace and love✌Dave

MLutthans, njwiv, hodgo and 1 other person like this.
  21. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

22. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

2021 GRAMMY NOMINEE: NAT KING COLE! We're ecstatic to announce that our
    Nat King Cole
    box set "Hittin' the Ramp: The Early Years (1936-1943)" is a 2021 Grammy Nominee for "Best Historical Album." We'd like to thank Seth Berg and the Nat King Cole Estate for giving Resonance the opportunity to work with the family on this great release; plus our host of talented co-producers on the project: Zev Feldman, Will Friedwald (who wrote liner notes, and the new biography "Straighten Up and Fly Right: The Life and Music of Nat King Cole"), Jordan Taylor and engineer Matthew Lutthans; our designer John Sellards, production manager Zak Shelby-Szyszko, package editor Dan Forté, publicist Ann Braithwaite, and many, many others who all pitched in to create something truly special.

CONGRATS! Well deserved!!!!!

23. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

This might be one of the very few Grammy nominations that I am actually excited about. What a beautiful box set collection and so gorgeously remastered by our very own @MLutthans!

hodgo, CBackley, MLutthans and 2 others like this.
  24. MLutthans

My personal thanks to you all for the very kind words, and to Jordan, of course, who is a class act all the way, along with the rest of the wonderful people who were involved. The nomination is truly an honor, and I am happy that so many people have been enjoying the music!

:tiphat:

25. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Are you doing to "attend" the ceremony?

hodgo and CBackley like this.