Nat King Cole THE VERY THOUGHT OF YOU SACD/45rpm from Analogue Productions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by keoki82, Jan 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. keoki82

keoki82 Active Member Thread Starter

Interesting. Why the heck did they drop it then? Was this indicated in the session notes that it was to be the opening cut? Was it Lee's idea?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The tape box legend UNDER the tape box legend had the original 16 song order..

This will all be in my upcoming book:

"S**t That 10 People In The World Would Want To Know".

Publish date unknown..

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Hey! I was writing that book! ;)

Matt

CBackley likes this.
  4. keoki82

keoki82 Active Member Thread Starter

5. Mabutu

Mabutu E

6. Steve Hoffman

Only 9 people left now!

CBackley likes this.
  7. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Are you saying that Gillette had Jenkins write that cello intro in the arrangement in say April or May (whenever he wrote the chart), knowing that he wanted it as the lead cut when the album was released in the fall? Or that because Jenkins wrote a cello intro, ala "When I Fall in Love," Gillette thought it too would make a choice lead in?

8. Steve Hoffman

You tell me, Jordan!

9. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

The latter seems a helluva lot more plausible to me. That's an awful lot of forethought to give an arrangement and an album only to leave the thing off in the end.

.crystalised. likes this.
  10. colormesinatra

colormesinatra Forum Resident

I just got this SACD in the mail yesterday and my ears were completely virgin to it. It is one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. I have no problem admitting I teared up after hearing Nat's The Very Thought of You for the very first time.

-Robert

11. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

I know what you mean. His voice hits your emotions hard when it first jumps out of that center speaker.

CBackley and Steve Hoffman like this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

Can you tell me which mix you like better on the SACD? The stereo or the mono? Thanks.

13. colormesinatra

The mono mix. The orchestra is a lot more colorful. I want to be able to here every single instrument in the orchestra. I feel the same way about JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS. The more marimba the better.

CBackley likes this.
  14. Steve Hoffman

What? You like the mono mix better than my precious mix? How dare you.

Kidding, that's fine with me.

CBackley and 762rob like this.
  15. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Excellent timing on this thread coming back to life. Just recently took delivery of this and Love is the Thing. Both put Nat in the listening room, as does Welcome to the Party. Planning to collect the lot.

16. colormesinatra

Steve,

My favoring of the mono mixes on these NKC releases is not a reflection of your work. I'm not a fan of the early stereo recordings on Capitol. Period. In my opinion, it wasn't a perfected system yet. The early stereo mixes of Sinatra's Capitol albums are sub par to my ears as well. I feel like the engineers were simply experimenting..."Let's put this mic here and that mic there." Call me naïve but that's just the way I feel.

Now by the early sixties, they had gotten it right. Stronger separation in the channels, maybe closer mics on the instruments. The presentation of the instruments had come a long way in a short time, to my ears anyway.

17. Steve Hoffman

I feel the same way but the stereo remixes (at least mine) offer Nat's voice to really shine.

Basically one needs both mixes, which is why I fought for the rare mono versions to be on the SACDs.

bozburn, CBackley, Kkfan and 4 others like this.
  18. colormesinatra

Nat's take on this song is really great but it kills me when he doesn't rhyme leisure with pleasure in the opening verse! Nat was such a brilliant man...surely he knew those words were designed to rhyme in that song. Plus the man who wrote the song also arranged and conducted the session...why didn't Jenkins correct Nat. It sounds so wrong when leisure and pleasure do not rhyme...

-robert

19. teag

teag Forum Resident

Just listened to the 45 version last night and forgot what a great record this is! The vocals are mesmerizing.

20. Steve Hoffman

Good idea. Think I'll put mine on. Lowers the blood pressure nicely.

CBackley, rxcory, teag and 1 other person like this.
  21. PteroDon

PteroDon Forum Resident

This has been on my wants list for too long , I really must get a copy . It almost sounds delicious!

22. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

On the stereo mix of "Magnificent Obsession", there's an artifact in Nat's vocals on the word "treasure" at 2:54. It sounds like there's a half syllable missing; a slight cut that affects the pacing. Was there a piece of damaged tape that needed to be discarded, or am I hearing something else? Unless I'm hearing things, I think it's on the mono mix too, but less noticeable.

I love your stereo mixes, Steve. Much more natural than the wimpy, poo-poo EQ'd versions on the original stereo LPs. But, as I mentioned in a related thread, the inclusion of the mono mixes are what sold me on the SACDs. Otherwise I would've been content with the heavy records.

23. Steve Hoffman

Just some weird **** that happened during recording. No idea what. He popped his "T" and the limiter went nuts or something.

FJC1966 and .crystalised. like this.
  24. So THAT'S what it was...it always sounded like a sloppy tape edit to my ears...:p

.crystalised. likes this.
  25. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

Yeah, that's what I thought too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.