Neal Casal (CRB, Circles Around the Sun, Ryan Adams and the Cardinals) R.I.P.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Erik B., Aug 27, 2019.

1. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

First track from the new album released.

agentalbert likes this.
  2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Sounds nice. Full album (self-titled, I think) to be released 3/13/20. I see it is already available to pre-order in hi-rez (24bit/48khz) from Quobuz. To get a new Neal/Circles fix, I bought the two track live single Jam In The Van.

Has anyone seen any update on the physical re-issues of the Neal Casal catalog mentioned at the link on the prior page? It said "physical releases in 2020", but didn't give any more specific dates.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  3. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I don’t usually preorder downloads but I might do for this considering it’s £8.99 on Qobuz just in case they change the price

4. agentalbert

Another track "Money No Option" from the upcoming Circles Around The Sun album set for March 13th, 2020 release.

TSWisla, Dennis0675 and cable hogue like this.
  5. TSWisla

TSWisla Forum Resident

This is wonderful. It also makes the loss of Neil that much more difficult.

Erik B. likes this.
  6. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident

I've been waiting to hear this tune ever since Neal's manager previewed it after his death (it's his last recorded studio performance).

I can't help but smile when I hear this track - Neal sounds straight up buoyant - but of course it's extremely bittersweet when you realize sweet Neal took his own life like four days later.

Bonddm and fourfeathers like this.
  7. cable hogue

Lots of great insight on Neal in this new interview with Gary Waldman. Interesting comments on the end of CRB. Gary said Neal was very sad after the final shows in Europe and was going to miss his friends - Adam, Jeff and Tony. No mention of Chris Robinson.

Been six months and this is all still so sad to think about. Kudos to Gary for all he's done to keep Neal's music and legacy alive. Gary said Jay Blakesberg is working on compiling Neal's photos in a book that will hopefully come out later this year.

The Legacy Of Neal Casal with Gary Waldman | Jake Feinberg Show

8. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Some gut-wrenching stuff in that interview. I could feel my stomach tightening up as I was listening.

9. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

No comments on the new LP?

Finally listened to mine today. Really love it. Solid. Kind of reminds me of Jeff Beck Jan Hammer There and Back jawn. Shame seems like this group was really finding their style. Highly recommend.

My copy has side A label on Side b and vice versa. Threw me a curve on that.

cable hogue and TSWisla like this.
  10. agentalbert

I got the hi-rez but forgot about it amid all this mess in the world. Listening to the first track "Babyman" now, which I heard when it was released earlier, and I still really like. Gotta go to bed, so no time to listen to the whole album, but I will soon.

I'm reading Gorman's Black Crowes biography and just got to the part where he mentioned Neal Casal had joined the band (for the 2005 reunion) but then was let go when Pete Angelus got mad that he leaked the details. I never knew that. Worked out better as Marc Ford rejoining made those shows special. It's kinda hard to imagine him in as hard as rocking a band as the Crowes, but it would have been interesting.

Saw this image from the vinyl at discogs and thought it was a nice tribute to Neal the band had put in the deadwax.
    [​IMG]

LeeGriffin, budwhite, Mad Dog and 2 others like this.
  11. cable hogue

Totally love this record. Highly recommend it. I love the CATS sound and this is the best release so far imo. I'll support them no matter who is on guitar.

Here's a fantastic, enlightening interview with CATS drummer Mark Levy. Lots of Neal talk, Mark basically confirms those 2018 CATS tour dates that were cancelled at the last minute were due to some personal problems Neal was dealing with.

Circles Around The Sun drummer Mark Levy talks Heartbreak, Honoring Neal, and Keeping the Circle Together. | Grateful Music

Bonddm and budwhite like this.
  12. cable hogue

Neal totally could've pulled off the gig; I think he would've excelled, both as a lead guitarist and backing vocalist. Don't get me wrong - I was beyond thrilled when Marc came back and that's the way it was meant to be. But it's a real shame Neal lost the gig that way imo.

He was a rock and roller at heart - I mean, he was into metal, worshiped the Stones and really wanted that Crowes gig. You couldn't put him in just a Dead or country rock or singer/songwriter bag, ya know?

Too bad the Crowes didn't give him a chance in 2013. I bet he wouldn't have needed a music stand for the duration of the tour. My guess is Rich didn't want half of CRB in 'his' band.

Bonddm, budwhite and painted8 like this.
  13. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Yeah, Neal's guitar work on some of the Cardinals records (particularly III/IV) is straight up rock, and very much in the vein of the Stones.

14. cable hogue

TSWisla likes this.
  15. agentalbert

You're probably right. And I'm also in agreement with you that by the time 2013 came around, Neal would have been seen as a "Chris guy", so Rich wouldn't be cool with that.

16. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Couldn’t find a proper Circles thread so I’d thought I’d post it here that they have announced a live album from the Feb/March tour this year is being released on Bandcamp on Friday. They say it was recorded analog so I expect a vinyl release later in the year

17. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Bandcamp is waiving all their fees (around 15%) on Friday so the full purchase price goes to the artist/label. For artists who self release, it’s a fantastic way to support them. They did this a few weeks ago and it was a great success.

GuidedByJonO))), lemonade kid and trd like this.
  18. cable hogue

Will definitely be grabbing this. Interested to hear the CATS sound with a different guitarist. But damn, I miss Neal.

I've been buying as much music and merch as I can the past couple months. Trying to help out any way I can right now. My wife says we may not have room on the wall for all the 18x24 posters I've purchased. I'll also recommend checking out Grateful Shred's bandcamp page - their 3-night Brooklyn Bowl run from last November (featuring Adam on keys) is on sale at 50% off. Fantastic recording mixed by Dan Horne, who is becoming one of my favorite producers. The new Mapache record is fantastic and he also produced the debut album from Pacific Range, which is also a West Coast psych gem.

I tell ya, during my 7 weeks of 'staying-at-home', I've never listened to so much music.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    jmcinnis and budwhite like this.
  19. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Have they released a live record before? Am I missing something? I like that they're going forward but their first live record should be with Casal.

20. cable hogue

They haven't. There are a bunch of high-quality soundboard recordings on archive.org. Maybe they'll go back and release some with NC. There are also probably still decent outtakes from the Interludes for the Dead album (IIRC there was like 5 hours recorded).

This live album might've just come together as a way to raise a few $. They'll certainly get my bucks.

Erik B. and budwhite like this.
  21. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

The Dead thing is live, but it's not from a live show so I don't think that counts.
    I'm just surprised that that they haven't released a live show with Casal. Even before his death.

22. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Nothing official, but there are certainly a bunch of great-sounding unofficial recordings easily available.

budwhite and cable hogue like this.
  23. cable hogue

I'm sure they would've gotten around to it. Sigh.

And I just meant if they ever wanted to release more recordings with Neal, they surely could pull something from the Interludes session.

Come to think of it, just last week they did 'sanction' a live recording with Neal from 4/20/19. Neal thought it was one of their best shows. It's an audience recording but Dan Horne mastered it.

Circles Around The Sun

budwhite likes this.
  24. jmcinnis

jmcinnis Forum Resident

You might think about getting an artist's portfolio sized for 18 X 24. A lot of my posters will probably never attain wall-space but are nicely displayed in one. They also come in other sizes, 13 X 19 is a good one for today's gig posters. My C.A.T.S. autographed Winter 2020 tour 18 x 24 poster has just joined the crowd inside. Protects posters from light damage also and cheaper than framing in the long-run. Downside being you don't see them everyday...

Erik B. and southamorican like this.
  25. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Just bought the album. $20. 2 and a half hours. Will give it a listen on my drive to and from work later.