Neal Casal (CRB, Circles Around the Sun, Ryan Adams and the Cardinals) R.I.P.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Erik B., Aug 27, 2019.

1. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Here's where I admit that I haven't heard any of his solo work yet. Got to know him through The Cardinals, but my love for his work really blossomed through CRB and CATS. I really dug that Beechwood Sparks record, but had no idea he played on it!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  2. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Was that track Eddy and Diamonds? Great song.

Phil Tate likes this.
  3. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

This was my first exposure to Neal's playing, and I thought he sounded excellent and became a guitarist I was into from then on. Anything he played on I knew I would like!

Also, this short lived version of the cardinals was my favorite - Neal and Catherine Popper singing harmony with Jon Graboff on pedal steel. Popper left in early 2006, I think this lineup was only around for 6 months or less.

4. windfall

windfall Senior Member

There are some incredible recordings (soundboards, matrix) out there of the Cardinals. I love the way Graboff's pedal steel was framed in the context of a full-on rock band. Some transcendent moments.

5. Mt.Elga

Mt.Elga Forum Resident

I saw Neal with The Cardinals about 10 times.. Always an incredible show.. Such a tight band.. Neal and Spacewolf now sadly gone...

budwhite, Yorick, ceddy10165 and 2 others like this.
  6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yes you are correct.

All of his early solo stuff is outstanding. His follow up to "Fade...", "Rain, Wind & Speed" is as great. Lucky enough to have snared a vinyl copy a few years back and I treasure it.

JoeRockhead and windfall like this.
  7. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Saw him twice at the same venue in Chattanooga in the same month with CRB and Hard Working Americans. Super nice guy. Hurt to read this today.

Mt.Elga likes this.
  8. Further

Further Forum Resident

I am in shock and borderline speechless. What a devastating loss for everyone. I've followed Neal and his work since his first solo album and for me personally, this one hurts big time. I'll miss him.

Knowing several people that struggle with depression, it always freaks me out when people that seemingly have everything going for them suddenly turn to suicide as a solution.

R.I.P. Neal. You gave us so much. Thank you.

Mt.Elga, Joe Spivey, Sully79 and 8 others like this.
  9. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Lucky. I have it on CD. There is an odds and ends collection from similar period called Field Recordings which has some gems.

10. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

Hearing it was suicide is heartbreaking. You just don’t know from the outside what someone is going through. Poor man.

11. MechanicalAnimal6

MechanicalAnimal6 Forum Resident

Only knew about him from CRB....sad news.
    R.I.P. Sir !

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  12. GuidedByJonO)))

Totally forgot about Hardworking Americans, dug that stuff too. This guy was all over the place. Is there a good place to find an overview of his entire discography? Wikipedia seems like a start, but not complete.

Rockin' Robby and Dennis0675 like this.
  13. GuidedByJonO)))

14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yup. Also his covers album "Return In Kind". Great versions of stuff by Doug Sahm, Johnny Thunders, Gene Clark, Royal Trux, Michael Hurley(!), and others.

windfall likes this.
  15. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

This is terrible news. I love Neal's playing - saw him with Ryan Adams. Love CRB, etc. Why??? Why???

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  16. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Crazy. And unavailable on discogs.

17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

18. Python

Python Forum Resident

I only knew him from CRB as well...as much as I love the Crowes, CRB shows were uneven to say the least, but the last time I did see them, earlier this year in Chico, they were fantastic, best I'd ever seen them. And I love his work on their album that was released in June.

So sad that someone so loved could have such demons as to result in taking one's own life...

19. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

No, it was "Today I'm Gonna Bleed". But that is a great song.

windfall likes this.
  20. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yesterday you could find copies for $2 on Discogs.

21. GuidedByJonO)))

Insane. Guess I shouldn't have put off tracking down his solo stuff.

22. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Just heard this. Crushing.

23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

When I saw this thread I was hoping it to be a mistake. Unfortunately, it's not.
    Such a talented guitar player, really sad news.

24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

robcar and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  25. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

This was the peak Cardinals lineup. Always felt they lost something after Cat Popper left. This would have always being my dream Cardinals reunion.