Neal Casal (CRB, Circles Around the Sun, Ryan Adams and the Cardinals) R.I.P.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Erik B., Aug 27, 2019.

1. Paul Beatty

Paul Beatty Forum Resident

I grew up with Neal, nice to see all the kind words here. Neal was in a metal band called Exire. I remember them well. The record store we knew Eddie Trunk from was called Alwilk Records. Eddie was just the guy behind the counter at the time who loved Kiss. Neal joined Blackfoot in 1987 and took off after that...the member who wrote that all the good guitar players in the 80's were in metal bands was 100% true.

2. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Well that is totally fascinating to me. I’m not one to “read into setlists” under normal circumstances, but wow! First off, I had no idea he covered “Who Knows Where the Time Goes”. But this placement just seems too thoughtful not to comment on.

“Black Muddy River” was covered by British folk royalty in the form of Norma Waterson several years back. And here, BMR is followed by one of the finest songs by the greatest female British folk musician of all time (IMHO) — the untouchable Sandy Denny. As a huge fan of both the Dead and British Folk, this just seems too perfect to be a coincidence. It is a cross-pollination I would not have expected. This isn’t a case of a traditional folk tune being carried across the ocean and being re-adapted in America. Nope, this is a 100% original Dead tune being honoured by one of Britain’s finest, and then a 100% original tune by Denny being honoured by Casal, Phil and company — immediately following that other tune.

Fascinating. Good music knows no boundaries.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    adamos, ianuaditis, budwhite and 2 others like this.
  3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

4. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Ahhhhhahahhhaaa......brahhhhawwhhhaaa.....Quoted for TRUTH!!!!

wavethatflag likes this.
  5. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

6. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Put this on earlier thinking I would catch some of it and ended up watching the whole thing.

7. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

8. I only saw Neal once, with the Cardinals, circa 2007-2008. Just that one time.

Best live concert I’ve ever seen.

RIP

9. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Sure is, it’s getting good notice on other social media outlets and in the jam band community.

10. Graham

Graham Senior Member

That’s amazing. Is there a live album of this period of the Cardinals?

wallpaperman likes this.
  11. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

trd, ceddy10165, Ernest T and 2 others like this.
  12. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Thanks for pointing out the Tumbler page. The only reason I didn't cry when I saw it this morning is that I went to bed crying and I woke up crying.

ceddy10165 likes this.
  13. friend74

friend74 Forum Resident

Yes, especially what he says at 43:40 is kind of sad.

14. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

Nothing official, however, there are dozens of free Ryan Adams full shows from that period on Archive.org.

A lot of them are very decent quality. It’s great that Ryan is happy for these to be made available.

Quincy, ceddy10165 and Graham like this.
  15. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

Has Chris Robinson made any statements on this?

16. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

“Neal-
    I can’t believe I’m having to say goodbye to my friend and my brother. It’s almost too painful. When I think about the songs we’ve written, the shows we’ve played and all the laughs and great times we shared it’s almost unbearable to know you’re gone. All of us in this rock & roll life have had to say goodbye to too many people too soon. I can only wish that you’ve found your peace returning to the wisdom of the universe. I miss you so much already, Neal. I’ll see you again, someday past the sunset. -CR”
    Chris Robinson Brotherhood

17. Howdyfolks

Howdyfolks Well-Known Member

I'd like to share a story about Neal.

I met him for the first time before a show when he was playing with Hard Working Americans. He was an absolute gentleman and we spent a few hours before and after the gig hanging out and talking. One thing that struck me about him was how genuinely curious he was about my life and my thoughts. He was not an egotistical person from what I could tell. After the show he invited me to a CRB gig that would take place in a few months.

Fast forward to the show - Neal greeted me with a hug when the band arrived and we chatted for a bit. He was super excited to show his new Scott Walker Santa Cruz Custom guitar. He introduced me to the bass player, Muddy, and George the drummer. Chris and Adam followed not too long after and seemed to be in good spirits. They began to soundcheck and to play some of the songs that would be heard later in the evening as well as a few that they were working on for the next record.

Now, Neal had a comedic side to him. While the group had slight difficulty in transitioning between two parts of music, Chris became a bit hyperfocused and asked to rehearse the part again, twice - some of the other guys became a bit tense. It was at this point in the middle of the song that Neal holds up his arm and says, "Stop, stop! I need a moment". The band looks at him as he takes a few steps forward and he then proceeds to trill two notes on his guitar for five seconds as he made the most ridiculous pose. He says, "alright, guys. I'm finished." The band cracked up, they start the song again and they nailed the transition seemlessly.

He appeared to have a mischievous sense of joy and wonder within his personality. He played pretty good guitar too. RIP, Neal.

18. cable hogue

cable hogue Forum Resident

The Tarnished Gold.

Neal also toured with Beachwood Sparks on the Crowes fall 2001 tour, and Steve Gorman confirms in his upcoming TBC memoir that Neal was the original pick to play lead guitar before Marc came back in 2005.

19. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

X2! RAATC supported taping in this era and there is a bounty of excellent quality recordings available in archive.org everything you could hope for - excellent performances, varied set lists, excellent Sonics (many sbds and matrixes), and free for all.

For me, and all MFCard fans, the musical magic of that era can’t be overstated. It was a very transcendent experience for those who connected with it. Ryan and his great songs were the foundation, but the band were equally important contributors and elevated the songs beyond the frontman which makes it singular peak in adam’s career. Neal, Graboff, brad and spacewolf were a special unit with Neal in the copilot seat. His harmonies and accompaniment - with a couple of his songs - were impeccable.

20. A6mzero

A6mzero One foot in the grave, one foot on the pedal

R.I.P. Loved his playing on Tift Merritt’s Bramble Rose album.

jazz_case, windfall and budwhite like this.
  21. cable hogue

That is a fantastic interview, thanks for sharing. Definitely showed a different, loosier side to Neal. Sounds like he was a hellraiser as a kid. And I didn't know his father's side of the family were from Spain. That makes sense now.

Got a lump in my throat when I read this:

"That's why I started playing music, so I wouldn't be alone anymore...."

22. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

August 26, 2017. DC's 9:30 Club w/ CRB.

[​IMG]

23. cable hogue

Yeah. I thought Neal in CRB was one of the coolest guys to watch on stage. Not flashy, of course, but totally in the moment, loose, and seemingly confident in his many talents. I wonder as he continued growing as a person and musician if he shed some of that stage fright.

Dang, today sucks too.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  24. SRC

SRC That sums up Squatter for me

It's not just a cliche; the struggle is real. There are times when the pain gets too much and the road ahead seems too dark to go on. I wish Neal, and the other sensitive souls who've been lost before him, could have waited to see the sun coming out again. But I hope he is at peace now, a peace that seems so well deserved.

25. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

It’s overwhelming, confusing and heartbreaking. Aside from the deep sorrow I feel as a music lover and fan of Neal’s my heart goes out to his friends and family. I can’t comprehend their loss.

GuidedByJonO))), SRC and cable hogue like this.