Need a little advice !!!!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SuperMusicFan2003, Mar 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperMusicFan2003

SuperMusicFan2003 New Member Thread Starter

I just ordered a Music Hall MMF 2.1 turntable and Shure V15 cartridge. After ordering I'm starting to wonder if this is a good combination and easy to set up. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

It's a very simple setup actually. Have you set up turntables before?

Actually, I'm fairly sure the instructions, while very simple, will get you to where need to. If the MMF doesn't come with a protractor for the allignment of the cart, there's a free one in a PDF file on the ETM site as follows: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/freestuff.htm

Just pan down 1/2 way. Free allignment...etc...
    Have that printed and read how to use it. Easy beans. Just screw the cart on the arm, and leave it loose to swim back and forth so you can swivel it into the right position. Screw down, done.

3. GabeG

GabeG New Member

This is a good combination. The Shure is extremely neutral and very easy to mate with most tone arms. In that arm and with its damper, you should be able to track almost anything including very warped records.

In terms of setup, I believe the Shure still comes with a mounting jig and a screwdriver. All you need to do is loosely mount the cartridge (without the stylus) in the arm, seat the jig on the spindle and place the mounted cartridge into the jig and tighten the screws. Gently place the stylus in the cartridge and you're ready to go.

One thing to be careful of - DO NOT TRY TO TIGHTEN THE CARTRIDGE SCREWS TOO TIGHT! Although audiophiles go crazy making things tight, many people ruin the tone arm bearings by doing it while the arm is mounted on the turntable. In the case of the 2.1, I don't think you can remove the arm (I may be wrong), but you don't need to. As long as you are sensible, everything will be fine. Make the screws tight, but don't go beyond the point where you can't turn the screw with ease.

Have fun!

4. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Like Gabe mentions, my Shure V15, which is at least 15 years old, came with an alignment/mounting device in the package. (Can anyone tell me if their newer V15's came with this device?) It was really nice--you take out the stylus assembly, and rest the body of the cartridge in the alignment device with the screws slightly loosened. First, the device goes over the spindle, which aligns it left to right. Next, you take it off the spindle, and use that center spindle sleeve as a pivot, and another slot in the device sets the proper front to back alignment in the tonearm. Once that is set, you tighten the screws fully. (But not too tightly!)

If the newer V15 packaging is like the original, Shure gives you everything you need to properly align this little beast. With a line-contact stylus, alignment is very critical. My kit even came with little rubber wedges to stick under the turntable to keep it from rotating!

Best way to set anti-skating is to get the Shure Audio Obstacle Course LP. You play the anti-skating test tone track, and adjust it to either eliminate the distortion you hear, or to make the distortion appear equal in both channels. I do not know if the LP is made anymore, but I still see some pop up on eBay. Bought mine for a few bucks with a coupon that came with my V15. Playing it is always the final step in setting up any cartridge I mount.

5. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Yep. I bought one about 6 months ago and it came with the protractor, some rubber wedges to lock the platter, although I'm not really sure why, and nuts & screws.

It didn't come with a device to set the length though. I had to use my Geodisc for that. Then again, I don't think the arm had much adjustment for the length (mmf-7). Hmmm, Anyone else remember?

I also found that I had to raise the base of the arm a tad to level it out with the Shure. Not certain if the 2.1 has that option, but if it does it is simple to do. You just loosen two screws at the rear base of the arm, bump it up, and re-tighten. Problem is, it's not an exact adjustment. More like bump and measure, and repeat. I did this a few times before I got it right.

6. SuperMusicFan2003

SuperMusicFan2003 New Member Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info !!!!!
    I just got the turntable and am extremely happy with it. The cartridge should be here the first part of the week, can't wait to get it mounted and try it out.

7. jeff e.

jeff e. Member

I've had my 2.1 for a couple of years now and it's great. Just be careful when you're changing cartridges, because the tonearm leads are VERY delicate. A detachable headshell would have been nice, but oh well. That, along with the flimsy hard-wired interconnects, are about the only negative things I can say about this 'table. (Well, other than the supplied Goldring cartridge, but it sounds like you're taking care of that problem ASAP!)

Happy listening!

8. -=Rudy=-

I'd rather have the extra bucks go into the turntable, rather than a mediocre cartridge. Or leave it off and save me the money. Might be good to dump on eBay.

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Agreed, Rudy.

Also, a tonearm is best done as a solid piece, no detachable parts, IMHO. Straight line of good wire and minimal mechanics. The least "moving parts and grommits" in the arm, the better.

10. -=Rudy=-

I wonder if they changed protractors or something. Mine is a double-duty. The cartridge body goes into a holder on the protractor. You first set the center of the protractor over the spindle, which aligns the cartridge. You firm up the screws, but don't tighten. You pull the protractor off of the spindle. On the opposite end of the cartridge should be an oblong curved slot. Using the plastic collar that the spindle went through as a pivot point, you put the spindle through the oblong hole, which is marked. This sets the front to back distance of the cartridge, where you line up the center of the spindle with the center marking on the oblong hole. Once that's set, you fully tighten the cartridge. The wedges are there so you can do all of this movement without the turntable rotating and throwing off the alignment.

Double-checked with the Dennesen protractor--dead on.

If my digital camera was home, I'd take a photo of my older model for comparison. As critical as alignment is, I don't see Shure overlooking an adjustment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.