Need a turntable for my dad, nothing terribly expensive...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McGuy, Nov 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

hey maybe you can sell the OP your U-Turn for a nice low price - sure it's not as good as you AT but you could help the OP out by giving him a great deal - and then at least it is being used by someone. Just a thought.

2. Richard Austen

Nuclear Power Plants are made in Japan too. How is that working out LOL.

Don't worry I am just saying this in fun :tiphat:

Although to be fair - I never really get the notion where people defend where something is made. I mean you can point to numerous examples of well made stuff from China, and lousy stuff made in America or England or Germany. I mean the KEF LS-50 is (even if you're not a huge fan of the sound) a supremely well made hefty and "cut above" physical specimen for the money - and they're all made in China. And then something else made in China - you are afraid to turn it on as it might explode (Samung phones).

bever70 likes this.
  3. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

It wasn't so much the construction or design of Fukushima (though yes, the latter could've been better), but where it was sited.

Placing nuke reactors in major-earthquake and tsunami-flood zones = just very poor planning. :shake:

Nuclear can be a very safe, and importantly, carbon-free source of power... but you can't be stupid in how you implement it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  4. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

Dual still make hi-fi turntables in Germany to a high spec (w/f etc.). Not sure about distribution in North America however - perhaps it can be purchased through eBay's Global Shipping?

Dual Platteinspieler: Home

5. Richard Austen

And to me that is part of the overall design. I mean I would buy a car from Japan (probably) before I would touch an American or German car with a barge pole). Though these opinions change with the given times - Korean and Japanese cars when they first arrived to the west were Rust bucket clunkers. But times they a changed and then for at least 2 decades - Honda and Toyota proved to be vastly more reliable and the big three were more like the three stooges - comically dangerous for your health and or wallet. A real poke in the ole eyeball.

Putting Nuclear power where they put it was idiotic but then like many countries - we elect dimwits with an IQ of 80 instead of actual intelligent scientists who actually know stuff.

I am a fairly smart guy - not super smart but smart and if I walk into a room with political leaders - I want them to be way the F smarter than me. I am quite sure a bunch of engineers warned the Japanese leaders about putting that plant in that location - but nope. We know best.

If I could change laws for all countries around the world I have exactly two requests.

If you run for any kind of government office from Judges to governors to mayors to Prime Ministers or presidents - you must have an IQ of 140+. Be a top 1% mind. Then pass an EQ test which shows some semblance of empathy so at least there is a CHANCE you will put the nuclear power plant in the BEST place and not the place that gives you the most money in the back handed behind the scenes deal. There is a chance you will put the people before your own greed.

The rest of the policy stuff - meh - agree disagree - and use science - Nuclear takes an unfair rap - because the politics gets in the way over the science. Although to be fair - Japan isn't exactly safe anywhere in their region I believe. And the alternate technologies were certainly not as good then as they are now.

6. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, you have to be smart to implement nuclear energy. That's why we have a push here now to keep using coal! Idiots... :shake:

7. Helom

Helom Forum member

I agree, especially regarding the LS50s. I was just pointing out the fact that their carts are not manufactured in the Hanpin plant, as are their turntables. That and they've been producing carts for far longer than they've been branding turntables.

8. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I misread the thread title and thought you wanted to swap your Dad for a turntable!
    I suspect a few forum members might take the suggestion seriously. ;)

9. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Late to this particular party but I would have gone with the AT LP-120 USB.

Great for the casual vinyl listener, USB for recording to your PC and won't chew up your records.

10. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

11. Cyclone Ranger

Cyclone Ranger New old stock

If you go over to the Heyday thread on these forums though, the couple of ppl here who’ve already bought one report things like speed issues and poor sound quality. :(

$99... you get what you pay for.

McGuy likes this.
  12. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

For the right VPI, I just might... but since he just got back together with my mother, after 42 years of being divorced, she might have an issue with the trade (true story btw...)

fogalu and clhboa like this.
  13. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

Wow! The ultimate story of 'time heals'.

fogalu and McGuy like this.
  14. McGuy

oh it's real and it's almost funny! they got divorced when I was 6, dad raised my brother and I. Mom was married once before my father and 3 times after. Last marriage was over 20 years and her husband had alzheimers and passed away, nice man too. Somehow Mom decided to start going on family vacations with us about 2 years ago (we go to Mexico every winter). One thing led to another and ... well ... mom is selling her place in Sarasota, FL and moving in with Dad in Dallas. I'm a bit pissed about selling the place in Sarasota... :)

15. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

I am very old, but healthy. Ok ears too. Over time the small things in life are not important any more. You dad & mom focus is now different and it works. Your story pleases me. Thanks.

fogalu and McGuy like this.
  16. McGuy

It is a cute “ending”

fogalu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.