Need acoustic guitar suggestions for beginner

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bayen, Sep 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bayen

bayen Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello all. Hope this is in the correct forum. My 14 year old son started banging on an old had-me down cheap acoustic this summer and can play almost any song he decides to learn...watching youtube videos. I've been playing for over 40 years and know what to look for when purchasing vintage...I own a 1953 Gibson southern jumbo and a 1960 Les Paul special...but have absolutely no idea what to look for regarding inexpensive new/slightly used acoustics. The last time I owned a new guitar was 1979...purchased my first nice acoustic...a Sigma dreadnought. I looked around the web for a used Sigma...not so cheap anymore...but could use some suggestions. I'm willing to spend as much as $500 if necessary. Prefer used, guitar doesn't need to be cosmetically perfect...just easy to play with a nice tone. THANKS!!

2. bayen

Thanks for looking...decided to ask gort to close thread...too general...lot's of options. I'll be more specific when I narrow search...thanks.

3. Sire acoustics appear to be a lot of bang for your buck.
    Andertons have featured them in Youtube videos.

4. Yamahas. Even the entry-level 700-800 models. For that matter, even the JR1 student model plays real well, and is real well made. I think it's a 7/8 scale. They're just plain best buys. Tons of them around, too. I like single cutaway models. I like the option of having a pickup, too. Not difficult at all to find an A/E 700 single cutaway or an APX500 for $200=$250 on the used market, in excellent running condition.

lol, right now, I don't own any Yamaha acoustics right now- I gave the one I had to my nephew. I'm playing Fender acoustics, which don't have nearly as good a reputation. But the price was right, and I think I got lucky with the particular models and examples I found. Everyone says Yamahas are more consistent in build quality, though.

I'm a learner- as long as it plays well, feels right with a low action, that's what's most important. All that stuff about "sound", I can't afford to find out too much about that part. Although I did sell my first A/E single cutaway, a mid-grade EG model Takamine, which was dead as a stump compared to the Fender DG-20 I picked up for less than $100. If/when I get a pricey guitar, I'm going to a store and trying out a bunch in person. Too much variation from guitar to guitar to buy through the mail, or to do 5-minute guesswork auditions at Craigslist appointments.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    bluemooze, Aftermath and KT88 like this.
  5. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Yamaha F310? dirt cheap acoustic for a kid to learn on

bluesky likes this.
  6. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

For $199 you can buy this new Recording King which has a solid top and surprisingly nice tone. I like the idea of getting a teenager a 000-size guitar as it's pretty accommodating to so many music styles that he may want to explore. No need to go up to $500 at this point in the journey. Save that for the really nice guitar he will get if he sticks with it at high school graduation?

Dirty 30s Series 9 000 - Bing video

7. If you're willing to go used- it sounds like you know what to look for- it's easy to find deals in guitar stores and pawnshops for less than $300. But the main thing is how the guitar plays in your son's hands, whether he's comfortable with a full-size dreadnaught and prefers the full sound they get, or whether he finds a smaller body/shorter scale guitar easier to learn on. And also whether he wants easier access to the frets above the neck that comes with a single cutaway, at the expense of some of the resonance that a guitar has with the traditional body shape. I know what I'm after in those respects; you know what you're after. But the crucial thing is the preference of the person who's going to be playing it.

8. Helom

Helom Forum member

Local Guitar Center claims Yamaha is the only consistent entry-level make.

bluemooze, Aftermath and bluesky like this.
  9. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

Anyone have any opinion on Donner acoustic guitars? They seem pretty reasonable in price and have read some decent reviews on Amazon.

10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

11. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

I had a `Echo Ranger` for my first acoustic.........amazing for the price, and has a narrow neck that`s great for a beginner to get those fingers across.

12. bayen

My son is tall for his age...almost 15 and over 6ft tall...lanky with long fingers... and has no problem playing my Gibson. I know he would be happy with almost any decent entry level guitar but I want to get him something that's easy and fun to play...has a great tone and will last some years. Thanks for the above suggestions.....the Martin DX1RAE looks nice...will have to read some reviews.

13. bayen

Back with an update. After visiting a bunch of music stores and playing dozens of new guitars I decide on a used Sigma DR7 made in 79/80. Guitar arrived sounds great and very playable...exactly as I remembered! Thanks for all the suggestions.

14. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Guitar Center - Yamaha.

Check for straight neck & string height - for your son.

bluemooze likes this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Easy one ; Seagull S6

Play one. You'll be astounded how much better it sounds than everything else. Not even close.

Usually, I'm more the "all depends on your tastes" kind of guy but in this case, there's simply no competition for this model.

AdrianC, Doctor Fine, harby and 2 others like this.
  16. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

Check out pawn shops. I see a lot of decent entry level guitars in them. Just saw a sigma the other day. The great guitar deals are long gone, but for a beginner, pawn shops are a wet dream.

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

take him to a music store and let him play around with the guitars...he'll know what's best for his fingers...

18. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Did anyone even read his update that bumped this thread?

19. Frost

Frost Forum Resident

This. The Seagull s6 is a great guitar. Find a used one cheap and spend the $60 to have it setup for him with decent action for the strings you want him to learn on (i recommend 12's)
    I still own and play one when i dont want to take my Collings out of the house because its not meant to go to the beach or on a boat.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  20. p.analogowy

p.analogowy Forum Resident

Ovation has a more affordable line called Applause, certainly under $500, they would be great for a beginner.

21. It's good to hear you got things sorted.
    It's a while since I picked up a Sigma, but the last one was a fine instrument - your son should get many years enjoyment from it.
    Keep on plucking :)

22. bayen

Thanks!

23. elmoe

elmoe Forum Resident

+1 for Yamahas. They are good quality considering the prices.

24. Cowpoke

Cowpoke Active Member

Here you find most of the best suggestion by participants, one more thing you must consider for beginner good acoustic guitars is that it needs to stay in tune throughout your practice session.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.