Need Advice on A New DVD Recorder

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tony Plachy, Sep 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member Thread Starter

Two years ago I bought a Panasonic DMR-E80HS and I love it. I use it mostly for time shifting TV programs and have a good deal archived on DVD-RAM which Panasonic supports.
    One of my old VCR's is starting to go so I went on line to get another DVD recorder and wanted to get another Panny. The E80HS has been replaced by first the E85HS and now by the E95HS. I visited a few of the video forums out there and found a great deal of controversy on these replacement models. While everyone seems to agree that the 80 is a great machine there are many folks out there who think that the quality and reliability of the follow-on's leaves a lot to be desired.

Panny has just introduced a new recorder (DMR-EH50S) that uses a 57 MHz / 12 Bit ADC instead of the more industry standard 57 MHz / 10 Bit ADC, which should give a better picture. (Most folks out there think Sony who uses a 104 MHz / 12 Bit ADC has the best picture, but they do not support DVD-RAM).

If it were not for the quality / reliability issues I would just buy the new Panny. Does anyone here have any input on this?

2. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member Thread Starter

3. AJH

AJH Senior Member

Back in March, I purchased a Sony GX-300 (no internal hard drive) to replace my old VCR. I record on DVD+RW discs, and even at the slower speeds, I am astonished at how good the picture quality actually is. The DVD+RW discs are playable in my regular Denon DVD player, and the nice thing is that the discs can be re-formatted and used again and again. I am very pleased with the Sony. This model has been discontinued, and can be had at a VERY reasonable price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.