Needle Jumps On Reggae Records

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bassist, Mar 28, 2024.

1. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a random issue with the needle jumping (but not sticking) on reggae records.

Primarily happens on new pressings rather than records from my own collection or s/h purchases of 70s pressings. Does not always happen in the same place on the same record and not every time.

Cleaning the records does not seem to make a massive difference. Does not happen with any other genres that I have encountered so far. Does not happen with other bass heavy records.

I am slightly at a loss and I don't want to start messing with the set up without canvassing for some advice first.

Cartridge is an Ortofon OM10 and he turntable is an Elipson Omega 100.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

2. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

I would try playing it on another turntable as it's possible that the cartridge/tonearm compliance are mismatched.

Bassist likes this.
  3. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

I would test to see if it happens with headphones plugged in and speakers off. If so, then it's likely some compliance issue. If not, then it's probably an isolation issue.

Bassist likes this.
  4. guanboots

guanboots Madame Web Enthusiast

Not for nothing, but I read some years back that reggae labels aren't exactly the best quality-wise. Is this still the case?

Bassist likes this.
  5. Bassist

Excuse my ignorance but what would an isolation issue entail? Is this about vibration from the speakers impacting the turntable?

6. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Not true IME in general. What you’re referring to is probably reggae records pressed in Jamaica which can be problematic IMO. By the way I’m right now sitting down listening to Burning Spear and the Hail H.I.M. album, it’s a UK first pressing from 1980 and it sounds great to these ears. Great clear dynamic recording with deep well defined bass. A fantastic pressing.

@Bassist
    Have you tried to adjust the VTF on your tonearm? What happens if you increase the VTF a bit closer to 1,75 g?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
    Dubmart likes this.
  7. nosliw

nosliw Delivering parcels throughout Teyvat! Meow~!

Yes, excess vibrations from the speakers or from other external factors (i.e., foot falls from walking around) cause records to skip. In addition, it would also affect the sound.

patient_ot and Bassist like this.
  8. Bassist

That is a possibility for sure. Thanks.

9. Bassist

My 70s JA pressings generally play fine as do the Greensleeves, Virgin, Island etc releases I have from the time. That said I have had issues with some recent reissues but more because they are mastered with the bass pushed to the edge of distortion rather than pressed badly. A couple of Keith Hudson reissues and a Max Romeo I bought in the last year or two fall into that category.

10. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Are the new pressings you’re having problems with reissues? Are they 180 g pressings?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2024
  11. ngower

ngower Forum Resident

My thinking is that the extreme low end that accompanies reggae could be sending vibrations through the turntable and causing the cartridge to "jump" grooves.

12. Malcolm Blackmoor

Malcolm Blackmoor Forum Resident

I don't know whether this coincidence is useful but I have a similar issue when cars playing that kind of stuff very very loudly drive down my road. My entire house shakes and glasses in cupboards rattle.

I realise I should have tried to stop them to ask details of their equipment but somehow neglected to do so, possibly owing to their excess speed and terrifying manner.

13. Bassist

Yes and sometimes. Always reissues. Also the Island Marley Rainbow double.

14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Is it possible that it's so groovy that the tonearm is dancing? :)

15. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I was thinking about 180 g records which are a bit thicker, try to adjust the VTF (vertical tracking force) as I suggested above closer to 1,75 g.

Bassist likes this.
  16. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Maybe a basic issue.
    Test tracking with a test record.
    Don,t bust a gut trying to pass all tests.
    Band 2 on most records is ok.
    Especially test at end of record.
    Reason is that bass notes are wide and high in comparison to a triangle.

17. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Are these Jamaican pressings? If so, buy a OM Pro or Reloop Black stylus and track it at 2-2.5 grams. Pro Tip for dodgy pressings (and Jamaican records are minefields).

patient_ot and Bassist like this.
  18. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Depends where they are made and how they are made. A lot of complaints have to do with JA-pressed vinyl, or records put out by dodgy reissue labels. Unfortunately bootlegs, counterfeits, and low-quality reissues are a thing with reggae records and you really have to know what you are buying.

And yes, per other comments, reggae can be very bass heavy music and not all cartridges have good LF tracking ability. Feedback from a poorly isolated turntable where the speakers are too close to the TT can also be a problem with certain types of bass-heavy music, including reggae.

McLover likes this.
  19. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Agreed that rough records are best played with a DJ type cartridge.