Negative experiences on Hoffman marketplace *

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by karmapolice, Jun 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karmapolice

karmapolice Forum Resident Thread Starter

How many people have dealt with crooked people on Hoffman forum?

Luckily most are great.

I had a guy recently sell me lps advertised at forum as awesome condition and when I got them in mediocre condition he reluctantly agreed to let me return it. He got lps back and never gave me a refund. I got the Gort to email him and he blew them off too!

I think a person like this should be shunned at the forum
    When the Gorts won't ban them.

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

He's now banned from the marketplace.

3. xman

xman Active Member

I only had this happen to me once. The guy advertise CDs as mint. My SACD came with a very big scratch, extremely obvious. When I sent him a notice about it he asked if it played okay. It took a month to rectify. He would not reimburse for S/H. Never dealt with him again and didn't rate the transaction. All in all this forum has been very good.

4. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

I think we've always maintained 'Marketplace' is a private sales area and the site isn't in any way responsible for transactions that go badly wrong. That said if you cannot resolve your difficulties by yourselves then do let the moderators know who can in exceptional cases ban folk or give further advice.
    Most of the time though buyers and sellers here are happy because everybody knows what's on offer and don't forget we do have a feedback system in place.

5. dbmay75

dbmay75 Funk & Guitar Junkie

If there was a way to program it into the forum software, perhaps photos/scans should become mandatory around here in order to keep the classifieds an honest and dignified alternative to the bay?

I like having photos of what I'm interested in purchasing and I don't mind the hassle of taking and uploading them when I sell here.

Of course, any member selling here needs to follow the SH grading guidelines as closely as possible, regardless.

Dan

6. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I've had all good experiences in my limited transactions on the SH Forums' Marketplace.

7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I've got only one bad apple so far...24 days waiting for my Aja and counting.
    PM'd seller, he doesn't respond. Lives 10,000 miles away, but 24 days ???
    Also hasn't received feedback in 6 months which makes me more nervous...
    :confused:

8. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish SeƱor Member

Not through market place, but I had someone in person tell me they would post me a DVD-A, then they said it was a CD-R of something similar that was agreed and that they'd sent it. Well that never turned up either (not that I wanted it in the first place!) Sadly I had already sent them something in return. It was not organised or agreed as a swap, but was intended to be some returned goodwill on my part. You know who you are - you still post here occasionally.

9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

It can happen, I had a package from Japan arrive 3 months after it was shipped, the seller (one of the very best here) had already refunded the money and 6 weeks later the package showed up. I resent the $$ and all was good.

Unless you use something like EMS shipping it can take time, even registered mail.

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Perhaps the way to identify deadbeats is to publish their name. If sellers knew their reputation was on the line, they'd be less inclined to pull a fast one.

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thanks ! Yeah, my favorite experience will always be...I'm in Acct. Payable for our state government. Years ago, I cut a check to the vendor across the street ...well, the check was lost for four weeks, I was about to do a ' cancel and reissue,' when they called...it showed up at the start of the fifth week !!!! Here's hoping... although I could use that $78 for Aja right now...

EMS was never offered to me, and it was my FIRST buy here !!! Now I have Darcy !!! Thank God.

12. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I found the thread in question. The seller is a POS to have continued posting while keeping the LPs and your money. Not only should he be banned from the Classifieds, he should be banned from the forum.

Did you pay for the LPs by PayPal? If so, don't you have recourse?

13. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I have had more % wise bad deals on here from sellers than on eBay. There are some brilliant sellers on here who I now tend to try and only buy from now because of it unless I can't get the disc elsewhere.

14. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Guess I'm lucky. I've never had a Marketplace or an eBay transaction go bad. There are still lots of good people out there.

15. I think this site has a lot of great reputable sellers. After over a thousand transactions on eBay, I have had about 5 go bad so I can't complain about eBay either but I would prefer to sell and buy here when given the choice.

Chris

16. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Please don't name sellers you have had a bad experience with here.

Next one kills the thread

Thanks
    :)

17. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

+1

(fortunately)

18. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Well, anyone can sign up here, get the 50 posts... and be as petty as they want to be.

Then the OP would never get his funds back, will he? Although it's becoming a pretty slim chance now. :sigh:

Maybe we should get rid of the classifieds altogether?

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm sure the forum would lose quite a few members if you'd do that :)

20. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

I am highly opposed. I have had some great transactions over the past couple of years here. Not one bad one yet. I've found discs here I've never found elsewhere. The forum has also helped me raise money for more purchases.

21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Wow. I've had no bad buys.

22. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Then checking the feedback before purchasing is your best assurance of having a good transaction.

23. Reader

Reader Senior Member

I've used the marketplace a few times and had no problems with it so far. Everyone I've bought from has been very aboveboard. I try to do the same and hope if I ever do something that upsets someone I get the chance to fix the problem because I try to be clear and fair. Hate to hear that some are being jerks.

Many on this forum are very good people and are willing to be helpful if asked. I've sent a few members some odds and ends with no expectations because I know how nice it is to be introduced to something that can give great joy that you might otherwise never know.

The bad guys should be ashamed of themselves and in the long run only hurt themselves. Burn me once and I won't let you do it again.

The feedback should be used more often for both ends of any transaction. Most times it is not used.

24. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

25. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Checking feedback is not always a guarantee of everything going ok. As a lot of people come to an understanding over a "problem", a lot of people don't leave honest feedback and also a lot of feedback is not left.

I have had sellers on ebay with 7,000+ 100% feedback sell me something that is crap and some on here the same (not the same amount of feedback).

Perhaps a system where all sales are shown and also the level of feedback might be better i.e 100 sold/transactions feedback 75. That way you can then see that 25 people haven't taken the time out to rate the seller. You then have the choice whether you want to buy from them or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.