Neil Diamond: Where to start a CD collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Somerset Scholar, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

I would pass on any comp that omits Walk On Water and Stones.

tralfaz812 and Hep Alien like this.
  2. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Of these, Stones and Walk on Water are major omissions of songs that would be considered canon.

Hep Alien, c-eling and Pelvis Ressley like this.
  3. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I ordered two 3 disc sets. The comprehensive In My Lifetime compilation and the Play Me complete albums set. All the Neil Diamond I'll ever need. I'm not worried about any of the mastering or post production problems. I'll be playing this stuff in the car with my wife.

4. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I received the In My Lifetime box earlier today. This is a beautiful set in a compact and sturdy long box with great photos and notes. The sound is very satisfying to my ears. I'm glad I bought it.

Hep Alien, George Cooke and c-eling like this.
  5. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Glad you're enjoying it! A nice book set :)

StarThrower62 likes this.
  6. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

This thread just inspired me to play the jazz singer on tidal. An essential Neil diamond if only for the timeless hit “America.” That couldn’t feel more relevant today.

7. George Cooke

George Cooke Well unknown member

On the Jazz Singer, aside from the three worthy obvious hits of America, Love On The Rocks and America, I think Hey Louise, Jerusalem and Songs Of Life stand up as great lesser known Diamond songs.

Even 'You Baby' is a pretty good catchy number. It's a remarkable soundtrack album just for the number of decent, memorable songs. I consider it one of Diamond's best albums, certainly his best since Beautiful Noise and, perhaps, the one Diamond album even non-fans might have had in their collections.

The original CD version can be cranked to provide a rich treat for the ears. In fact I'm not aware of it having been tampered with in a negative way - it was well recorded.

I love the gold on black embossed album cover.

8. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Neil Diamond is 80 years old today.

c-eling, Hep Alien and George Cooke like this.
  9. Memobook

Memobook Forum Resident

Gold is a fantastic under the radar live album.

graveyardboots likes this.
  10. George Cooke

George Cooke Well unknown member

Yes -
    An amazing legacy of music over the decades and the recent Classic Diamonds reinterpretations album with the LSO is wonderful. He still has a voice.

Happy birthday to a true legend.

siebrand and BradOlson like this.
  11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Does anybody have a complete collection of Neil's 1973-1982 CBS Made in Japan for Europe discs? Those are nice.

hutchguv, George Cooke and c-eling like this.
  12. c-eling

Curious if they carry unique mastering's or not.
    The only one I have is "I'm Glad You're Here With Me Tonight"
    The rest are just US DADC stampers.

13. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I have some, but not all.

c-eling likes this.
  14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I don't think so, but they have superior front and rear inserts for these old 1980's discs. Many of the old CBS Japan for Europe discs do.

hutchguv and c-eling like this.
  15. c-eling

That is true!

yesstiles likes this.
  16. Anton888

Anton888 Forum Resident

I have a question for the "real" Neil Diamond fans.

Who mastered this collection?

I remember reading an interesting article by the mastering engineer.
    He said he used the original master tapes. Unfortunately I can not find the article any more. Maybe
    someone has a link to it or some more information?

[​IMG]

17. hutchguv

hutchguv Rock/Metal/Prog/Pop

That's an excellent collection

I've just really started to investigate Neil Diamond more deeply myself

I previously only owned The Essential and 12 Greatest Hits Vol 2 on CD

So I got the HD tracks of his albums from "Velvet Gloves And Spit" to "September Morn"

They sound very good, but I suspect may be a bit compressed, didn't need to turn them up too much

So then I picked up a first euro edition CD "Beautiful Noise" to see what it was like, very crankable

So I now have gone on eBay and picked up his back catalog on first issue CD's mainly less than a fiver and I'm waiting for them to come through the post

I'm really liking his discography

I do remember my Nan buying "Beautiful Noise" I think a few years after it came out as it was cheap because she bought "The Jazz Singer" at the same time probably when it was in the UK charts

Depending on when 'The Jazz Singer" came out I may or may not have hit double digits back then

But I remember quite liking it, even if I preferred her Blondie and ABBA records when I went round her house each week.

My Nan bought more records than anyone I knew until I grew up and got a job and started spending on Beer and CD's