Neil Gaiman's Sandman to be a Netflix Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veltri, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Well, naturally, Gaiman is going to say he likes it. He's the producer! Ha!

But aside, my friends who haven't read the books, like myself, and watched the series both said the same thing. It was kind of "meh" - as in uninvolving if you weren't there to check it out as a previous fan. It felt whitewashed to me. For example the scene where the woman was in bed who had gotten Sandman's pouch of sand was HORRIFIC in the books. Like something out of a Dee Snyder horror film. In the TV show she looked like she was on vegan diet. Those books were dark.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  2. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

It's hard to figure out how the video streamers make their decisions. Sandman cost about $15 million per episode, and the first season had 11 episodes. That is up in the Game of Thrones, The Crown and some extravagant Apple TV+ show level budgets.

Even if many Netflix subscribers watched the show, the streamers do not make more money with more views from existing subscribers. They are not advertising based, like network TV, where more viewers means they can charge more for commercials. The video streamers care if a new show brings in new subscribers, or if the show can retain subscribers who would otherwise drop the service. They have all the data on viewership - like what shows does a new subscriber first watch? How long does a new subscriber stay on the service?

You have to be on the inside to know what data they are looking at, to decide whether it makes sense to them to invest another $150 million into a new season. It is possible that another video streamer (like HBO Max) could pick up the show, if Netflix decides not to do the second season. Although if Netflix declines to do the next season, it's hard to think which other streamer would pick it up. Video streamers have picked up discontinued shows from cable channels, which they like because it brings in a known and loyal audience that may not already subscribe to the service. But those have generally been cheaper shows. (Network TV shows, for example, are usually about $3-4 million per episode budgets.)

superstar19 likes this.
  3. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I felt the same about Caliope. Locked away and abused by men for decades, but so immacultely turned out?

The comic book version managed to project a proud but damaged soul.[​IMG]

Ghostworld likes this.
  4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I liked Mazikeen in the books, Lucifer's GF. Gross. And she couldn't talk in the books. It was "Grrzyup mruuurp..." LOL.
    [​IMG]

Doggiedogma likes this.
  5. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

6. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Yeah Neil posted yesterday:

"Yes it's true: The Sandman will return to Netflix. There are some astonishing stories waiting for Morpheus and the rest of them...Now it's time to get back to work. There's a family meal ahead, after all. And Lucifer is waiting for Morpheus to return to Hell..."

vince and coffeetime like this.
  7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

8. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I thought it was OK.

I found some of the casting choices a bit 'woke'.

Also felt it looked very obviously staged (ie greenscreened) much of the time, which made the production feel a bit cheap - even if they did apparently spend $15 million per episode.

Maybe it just works better as a comic.

Ghostworld likes this.
  9. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Neil said when they were casting they asked, 'is there any legit reason that this character needs to be male and white' if the answer was no, it opened up pool of candidates in order to find the right actor.

10. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yep

11. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I thought the first season of American God's was great and then that unravelled like a cheap sweater. What a bummer. It had a fascinating set up and then it just turned into mush.

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Lucifer Morningstar? Please. Tradition begs. Unless you want to make a statement that women can be just as evil as men.... I'm down with that.

13. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I'm not going to argue with the man who created the show...

coffeetime likes this.
  14. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Star Wars Prequels. I rest my case. I wanted to see what was in the books. Like, could we have a woke recasting of "Gone With the Wind" with Rhett Butler as a woman? I mean, would it still "work"? Yes, but why? It's not the same.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  15. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

"Woke". I hate that word. Over used and abused.

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Its a trigger word now, wielded to sow diffusion and tension, by disingenuous parties who seek chaos not conversation.

17. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

How 'bout BRETT Butler as Rhett Butler?
    [​IMG]
    What ever happened to HER, right?

18. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I asked that very question yesterday.

According to the Wikiverse: From 2018 to 2019, she played Tammy Rose Sutton in the AMC horror series, The Walking Dead. Also in 2019, she took a recurring role as Sandy Jackson, the mother of Reese Witherspoon's character in the Apple TV+ drama series, The Morning Show.

19. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

That's good to know..I really liked her..

20. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

When all is said and done, I liked the portrayal of Satan.

superstar19 and Jeff Kent like this.
  21. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Gaiman and Amanda Palmer announced they're getting divorced. Was kind of rooting for them as a couple.

brucewayneofgotham likes this.
  22. raye_penber

raye_penber .

As a life-long fan of Sandman (since the early 90s), I really didn't enjoy this adaptation.

I won't elaborate, because I don't want to spoil the fun for those that do/did/will enjoy it.

I did like American Gods, though. I thought the third series was actually its finest hour.

Ghostworld and ubiknik like this.
  23. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

According to Neil Gaiman, Angels are genderless in The Sandman universe (even if the language used to address them is gendered). Desire is portrayed as genderless in the comic too, but is addressed as 'sister' by the Endless. Sandman was quite "out there" by DC/Marvel standards with its portayal of diverse gender and sexuality.

24. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Also Sandman looks different to whoever is looking at him (using a gender for ease of explaining) so the same could be true for his “sibling” Morningstar- male/female doesn’t really matter and is just how the person sees them.

25. brucewayneofgotham

brucewayneofgotham Forum Resident

Surprised but very happy
    that Netflix renewed
    I think the stock bouncing back a bit , helped
    and the advertising platform coming,
    also helped

I think very soon , all streaming
    will be advertised supported
    it will be the only way to survive

Can not wait for the response in this
    forum