Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" re-colored edition

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Walt, Dec 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Walt

Walt Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently decided to get digital copies of the re-colored "The Sandman" series that came out a few years ago. The entire original version sits on my shelf and will continue to remain in my home. "The Sandman" is, hands-down, my favorite comic book series. I have been curious about the re-colored edition, but I'm colorblind so buying physical copies of the series at full price for limited benefit is kind of foolish, for me.

I recently bought an iPad (6th gen) and iOS devices (iPhones, iPads, and iPods) have color filters included in the accessibility settings. I use the Tritanopia filter with a few settings adjustments on my iPad. It's been rather nice to see things as they should be seen without having to purchase another set of glasses (I am also near-sighted and wear glasses).

Comixology was running a sale on Vertigo titles and I decided to double-dip, so to speak, after sampling a few panels. The artwork looks fantastic; I am happy with the results! Crowd scenes really stand out. Instead of a single color, each person (or demon... heh) is its own being with multiple colors and detail.

I can't really say if it's better than the original. I'm generally not a fan of revised media well after release (looking at you, George Lucas... ha!). The re-coloring neither adds nor subtracts from the story. I liken it to "Pet Sounds." I tend to gravitate toward the original mono mix, but, every once in a while, I'll throw on the stereo mix for some variety.

coffeetime, MrCJF and Ghostworld like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.