Neil Young and Crazy Horse - Barn

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IHeartRecordsAz, Oct 12, 2021.

1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

No, just the single LP listing on AMazon.

2. BluEyedBostonDavey

BluEyedBostonDavey Well-Known Member

Tell that to Billy and Ralph. There is mellow acoustic Horse in the back catalogue. Replying with a “ Lotta Love.”

Horse aside, I do have reservations about Neil’s quality control since Briggs died. Remain optimistic as always, but one of the reasons why I do most of my listening via NYA subscription these days.

Gregory Earl and JoeF. like this.
  3. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

They really don't give you an incentive to ever buy the deluxe box version in his store. Buying all individually is always less cost. One little add-on (extra song, print, etc.) would probably sway me. And the box itself is not the answer!

Myke likes this.
  4. Alright4now

Alright4now Forum Resident

Well then why you bellyaching about the Horse not rocking?

Sean, Sigma6 and JoeRockhead like this.
  5. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

it sounds like it belongs on Chrome Dreams II. Maybe right after Bluebird.

6. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

“I believe in you” just SHREDS.

Twinge Crispy likes this.
  7. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

I know I shouldn't feed the trolls, but you said "it is NOT Crazy Horse".

Well, it literally is Crazy Horse. It's not what you want Crazy Horse to be, but you're wrong, not them.

8. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Forum Resident

Wow, love most of Sleeps w Angels. The 14 min Change Your Mind is vintage long form Horse ala Cowgirl, DBTR etc. My Heart one of Neil's most underrated ballads. Prime of Life, the title track, a lot of goodies there. If you've never seen the Demme directed videos filmed that I have on laserdisc, The Complex Sessions (don't know if that ever got an official DVD release) seek that gem out on Youtube, and maybe it will Change Your Mind! (Hearing N+Crazy Horse do that tune live in concert was absolutely sublime).

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    ARK, Sean, stef1205 and 3 others like this.
  9. Alright4now

Sleeps with Angels is a top 10 Neil LP for me. When I saw him play in 2009, he played Change Your Mind and I freaked out. This whole set was a dream: Neil Young Setlist at New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival 2009

10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Appears that the Blu ray standalone is exclusive to the Greedy Hand ?

11. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

RIGHT (Dr Evil)

Myke likes this.
  12. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

New song sure sounds unmistakably like Neil to me. Looking forward to the rest.

As for the Crosby v Neil... I enjoy Crosby, and eagerly await IICORMN deluxe.... but better songwriter than Neil? :laugh:

13. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

It's utterly amazing that all of CSNY, Crazy Horse (Post Whitten) for that matter, is still with us today! Blessed!

bonus, RaceBannon and lucan_g like this.
  14. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Forum Resident

I saw the concert a few days before yours at Kansas City Sprint Center! Great setlist and a very loose vibe to the show. It was standing room GA only on the floor, but it wasn't packed shoulder to shoulder so you could get pretty close if you wanted. I think that's one of the last major concert standing shows I ever saw (knee issues)---check that---I saw Neil+Promise of the Real at the Beale Street Music Festival about 5 years later where they did an incredible 35 minute jamming version of Down by the River as I stood a few hundred feet away from the Mississippi River flowing by to my right--pure bliss! Anyway the KC show had been rescheduled from a cancellation the year before if I remember. That Change Your Mind was awesome and I think it was close to 20 min.

15. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Top 5 for me.

ARK and Alright4now like this.
  16. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

The special edition is numbered and comes with 6 photos exclusive to the Greedy Hand.

Dradge likes this.
  17. Alright4now

If you have instagram, there's a 2 minute video on the NYA instagram page with Neil just sitting on a rock, talking about the album. He says the real name of the album is "Barn of Ages" but they changed it to Barn cause "that sounds way too tripped out and heady". Makes a big deal that it is Barn, singular, not plural. He says other goofy **** too. I mean that lovingly.

He says all the songs were written in the last year, which is a bit of a relief in that they weren't just all tossed off in a week. Or else he probably would have said "week" and not "year."

I wish I could link to it but I don't know how. Just look up the neilyoungarchives instagram page.

18. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

Just for once I might be able to tell my family what I'd actually like for Xmas...

Get Back/ Let It Be DVD
    Barn CD

It'll be a nice change from getting underwear :D

ARK, Cranny, Markab and 1 other person like this.
  19. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

he also says at one point something like "don't adjust your set, this is what i look like now".

imail724, Twinge Crispy, Sean and 3 others like this.
  20. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

So does the $29.98 vinyl only option minus the numbered part.

21. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

Good point. Well made. :oops::winkgrin:

qtrules likes this.
  22. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Maybe they were written on seven separate, individual days, within the past year. :D
    It's been a long time since any of his releases have done anything for me, but I like "Peace Trail" the song. It has a great vibe and a bit of that "spook".

23. Alright4now

I'm trying to be optimistic, my man. I think Neil's got another corker in him somewhere. Hoping this is it.

Points for ditching the Promise of the Real! Don't get me started with that band. Ugh.

trickness, TS582 and Darrin L. like this.
  24. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I know...that's why I keep coming back.

Alright4now likes this.
  25. Mr-Beagle

Mr-Beagle Ah, but the song carries on, so holy

The only corkers are likely to be archive releases.

Boswell likes this.