Neil Young – Archives Volume III: 1976–1987

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Mover

Mover Forum Resident

Is that the recent release or an old version?

2. dagobah

dagobah Forum Resident

What have you just bought? My question is not sarcasm. Is Neil Young Archives Vol 3 available for pre-order?

3. Somebody Naked

Somebody Naked Forum Resident

"it" = Songs For Judy

4. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Well he just spilled a ton of beans on Vol. III

Essentially it comes to "17 discs" and "four or five film" (honestly it's not clear if this is now a combined CD/Blu-ray set, or if the plan is still to sell individual CD and Blu-Ray versions). Some of the "discs" in Vol. III are two disc sets, as well. Also about halfway through he started reading the tracks that are one each disc, though sometimes it seemed like he would trail off, or stop halfway through reading a track list to get to the next disc (maybe on purpose so as to not reveal everything? That would make sense; don't spill the beans on everything).

So Vol. III (from what he shared to us) is as follows:
    • Across the Water: a two disc set that represents the '76 tour previously covered by Odeon-Budokan. He mentioned it contains songs from his shows in Hammersmith, Glasgow, and "one more."
    • Hitchhikin' Judy: this covers the fall '76 tour. Wasn't clear on if it contains the solo acoustic performances from the tour, the CH performances, and/or any of the songs that appear on Hitchhiker (or anything else from this era).
    • Snapshot in Time: The audio documentary of him rehearsing with Nicolette and Linda before they began recording the songs that are on side B of American Stars 'N' Bars.
    • Winward Passage: A live album of Ducks songs recorded live in Santa Cruz (hopefully "Cryin' Eyes" is on this still).
    • Oceanside/Countryside: 12 tracks, 10 unreleased, the original versions of the songs that are on Comes a Time can be found here.
    • Union Hall: the Gone With the Wind Orchestra rehearsal. "Lady Wingshot" will be on here. He mentioned that they had audio of the concert (no video though), and he also mentioned Comes a Time outtakes "Please Help Me I'm Falling" and "We're Havin' Some Fun Now" will be on Vol. III when reading off the Union Hall tracks. So this could be a two disc set, or maybe additional songs are tacked on at the end after the rehearsal (or maybe Comes a Time is represented with its own disc, even. He wasn't as clear here because he went back to read the track list for this era three "discs" later, once he was able to open a file that contained the track list)
    • Boarding House: now a two disc set, with the first disc covering his session with DEVO (the second, I'm assuming, is the original compilation of live performances from the venue).
    • Sedan Delivery: covers the Rust Never Sleeps era, has a "wacky cover." A version of "Bright Sunny Day" will be on here.
    • Coastline: covers the Hawks & Doves and Re-ac-tor era from July 1980-July 1981. "Winter Winds," "Get Up Now," and an early version of "Sunny Inside" will be on here.
    • Trans EP and Johnny's Island: another two disc set. The Trans EP will be the vocodor tracks from the album isolated on their own. Johnny's Island appears to contain the three other songs from Trans from the Hawaii sessions, plus "Johnny," "Island in the Sun," "Silver and Gold," "If You Got Love," "Rainin' in Paradise," "Big Pearl," "Soul of a Woman," and "Love Hotel."
    • Evolution: covers Jan 83-Jan 84. Seems like it covers the early Old Ways sessions, material with The Shocking Pinks, and the solo synclaver songs ("I've Got a Problem," "Hard Luck Stories," "If You Got Love," and "Your Love.")
    • Touch the Night: a compilation of the two shows from Feb 7th, 1984 with Crazy Horse. Live versions of "Rock Rock Rock," "So Tired," "Your Love," and "I Got a Problem" will be here.
    • Grey Riders: another two disc set that covers June 1984-September 1985. This track list (as he read it) feels incomplete, but it sounds like a mix of live and studio tracks. He mentioned "Time off for Good Behavior" and the original version of "This Old House" will be on here, and I'm assuming the original version of "Interstate" will be on here.
    • Road of Plenty: the title song will be on here, but it seems like the focus has shifted to covering the Landing on Water/Life period. "We Never Danced" will be on here.
    • Summer Songs: this closes out the set.
    And before all of this, he showed us his Vol. III notes, and the cover page mentioned that this will cover 1976-1989, but this set seems to end nicely on 1987 with Summer Songs. So it's possible that some of the songs he did in '89 (like "Crime in the City" and the SNL rehearsals) that were to appear on Road of Plenty when he compiled it could very likely still be on this set.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
  5. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Odd that he didn't mention the Rusted Out Garage audio/video that has been mentioned multiple times up to now. Unless he just skipped over it on the list?

6. IHeartRecordsAz

Possibly. But he didn't specify any of the "movies" that will be on here, so Rusted Out Garage could still be on here in movie form.

trumpet sounds and lambfan68 like this.
  7. Crosseyed

Crosseyed help I'm a rock

I'm hoping he includes the epic live version of Down by the River from the 09-10-1985 pier 84 show in NYC. I would love to hear this in good sound quality.

8. IHeartRecordsAz

He originally said that it was going to be on Vol. III (after thinking he had already put it on A Treasure), so I would bet that it would be on the Grey Riders disc. He only read 11 tracks, and if this is a two disc set like he said, it should have more tracks than that (plus he didn't read "Grey Riders" even though that's the name of this "disc").

Crosseyed and lambfan68 like this.
  9. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

Any word from NY when pre-sale may be?

tug_of_war and Heart of Gold like this.
  10. IHeartRecordsAz

No, he didn't mention any release date. The last thing he said was first half of next year in a batch of LTTE responses earlier this month.

11. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

That is a fantastic load of information. I was at work so couldn’t tune in.

I like to think that because he’s talking so much about tracklists that an official announcement is coming real soon

stef1205, Karl1111, Sean and 2 others like this.
  12. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

You are going to have to ask for a Timeline Concert from 1976. Neil has said it was only ever recorded live.

13. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

Errors and omissions possible.

1/2 Across The Water 1 and 2 (March/April 1976)
    Crazy Horse World Tour 1976 cuts, album and film, from Hammersmith, Glasgow and probably Budokan

3 Hitchhikin’ Judy (Fall 1976)
    Fall 1976 US tour, part solo, part Crazy Horse live

4 A Snapshot In Time (Feb/Mar 1977)
    The Nicolette Larson/Linda Ronstadt home rehearsal tape American Stand ‘N Bars material

5 Windward Passage (Summer 1977)
    Ducks Live

6 Oceanside-Countryside (1977)
    12 tracks, only 1 or 2 specific recordings have surfaced previously, original versions of Comes A Time cuts

7 Union Hall (Nov 11, 1977 plus?)
    Musicians Union Hall rehearsal prior to Miami show, Comes A Time cuts plus
    -Alabama
    -Old Man
    -Dance Dance Dance
    -Lady Wingshot
    -Are You Ready For the Country
    -Are You Ready For the Country reprise
    Also studio tracks
    -Love Art Blues
    -Comes A Time
    -Please Help Me, I’m Falling
    -We’re Having Some Fun

8/9 Boarding House 1 and 2 (May 1978)
    Album and film. Live show(s) on one disc, afternoon studio session with Devo on the other disc

10 Sedan Delivery (?1976-1978)
    from the Rust Never Sleeps period, wacky cover
    - Bright Sunny Day
    - The Loner
    - Welfare Mothers
    - Lotta Love
    -Sedan Delivery
    -Cortez The Killer
    -Tonight’s The Night
    .Powderfinger
    -When You Dance
    -??Hey Hey, My My???

11 Coastline (July 1980-July 1981)
    -Coastline
    -Stayin’ Power
    -Hawks & Doves
    -Comin’ Apart At Every Nail
    -Union Man
    -Winter Winds
    -Opera Star
    -Southern Pacific
    -Surfer Joe
    -Get Back On It
    -Rapid Transit
    -Get Up Now
    -Sunny Inside

12 Trans EP and Johnny’s Island (ca. 1982)
    Trans computer songs with vocoder only
    -Sample And Hold
    -Mr. Soul
    -Computer Age
    -We R In Control
    -Transformer Man
    Johnny’s Island
    -Johnny
    -Island In The Sun
    -Silver & Gold (original)
    -If You Got Love
    -Rainin’ In Paradise
    -Big Pearl
    -Hold On To Your Love
    -Soul Of A Woman
    -Love Hotel

13 Evolution (Jan 1983-Jan 1984)
    -California Sunset
    -My Boy
    -I Got A Problem
    -Hard Luck Stories
    -Your Love
    -If You Got Love
    and “Shocking Pinks Period”

14 Touch The Night (1984)
    some live Feb 7, 1984 with Crazy Horse
    - Rock, Rock, Rock
    -So Tired (Of Talking To Strangers)
    -Violent Side
    -I Got A Problem
    -Your Love
    -Barstool Blues
    -Welfare Mothers
    -Touch The Night

15 Grey Riders (June 1984-Sep 1985)
    (partly?) from June 6, 1984 Saddle Rack, San Jose
    -Amber Jean
    -Get Back To The Country
    -Are You Ready For The Country?
    -It Might Have Been
    -Soul Of A Woman
    -Let Your Fingers Do The Walking
    -Misfits (Dakota)
    -Nothing Is Perfect (In God’s Perfect Plan)
    -Time Off For Good Behavior
    -This Old House
    -Southern Pacific

16 Road Of Plenty
    -Drifter (from Landing On Water)
    -Hippie Dream
    -Bad News Beat
    -People On The Street
    -Weight Of The World
    -Pressure
    -Road Of Plenty (Eldorado)
    -We Never Danced
    -When Your Lonely Heart Breaks

17 Summer Songs (Summer 1987)
    with Nico Bolas
    -Introduction
    -American Dream
    -Someday
    -For The Love Of Man
    -One Of These Days
    -Wrecking Ball
    -Hangin’ On A Limb
    -Name Of Love
    -Last Of His Kind

Movies – “4 or 5 films also” maybe not including those mentioned above?

14. orca orca

orca orca Countryfried

Wait, no "Top 40 ..."?

stef1205 likes this.
  15. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

With the correct audio? This is very strange - checked the link and they still have them in stock. Amazon too - not a marketplace seller. I wonder if they were supplied so Amazon could ship replacements for the duff audio discs but went unclaimed, so they’re now selling them off cheap.

Willowman likes this.
  16. IHeartRecordsAz

He said Grey Riders was a two disc set, but only read off 11 tracks. So I'm sure he omitted a few of the tracks that will be on that set.

17. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

This amount of audio you have to wonder it is cd for this plus blu ray for the movies in the ( very) big box and the hi res audio will again be available as download for buyers of the box.

18. From todays list it now seems that Volume IV will start with the Rusted Out Garage tour.The live album from the tour that he gave the track listing for a while back is nowhere to be seen.
    Regarding films I’m guessing/hoping it is 4-5 on top of the 2 mentioned in the audio disc descriptions.Thinking Human Highway,Rust Never Sleeps,Trans In Berlin,Animated Trans and Solo Trans.
    Also there appear to be a number of the original album tracks although not nearly all of those albums as was the case with the first 2 volumes.There also appears to be places where some or most of Songs For Judy,Hitchhiker,A Treasure and the relevant Chrome Dreams tracks will fit.I personally like this but prepare for the “why is he making us buy this again?” complaints.
    Price?For the version that has all the CD’s and Blurays along with the deluxe packaging my guess is $US500.

trumpet sounds, Karl1111 and bonus like this.
  19. tgdon'tmind

tgdon'tmind Lord, Here Comes The Flood

Anyone know if this V3 is going to be a "limited edition", like how V2 initially came out?

20. Neil has said on several occasions that won’t happen.If you can afford it you’ll be able to get it.

ARK, trumpet sounds and Karl1111 like this.
  21. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

DVD from the Harvest 50th. My understanding is it’s the replacement disc for the faulty one in the original release. It comes in a plain sleeve, but you can’t go wrong at this price.

22. The LTTE reply he gave 2 weeks ago pretty much confirmed that this will be the case.The answer he gave said the Blurays would be “for the movies”.
    You would think the high res would be available to at the least people who bought the Deluxe edition through Greedy Hand.

Karl1111 and stillrockin like this.
  23. IHeartRecordsAz

OK, so I went through a recording of the Zoom call and tidied up and added to the notes I made:

Essentially it comes to "17 discs" and "four or five film" (honestly it's not clear if this is now a combined CD/Blu-ray set, or if the plan is still to sell individual CD and Blu-Ray versions). Some of the "discs" in Vol. III are two disc sets, as well. Also about halfway through he started reading the tracks that are one each disc, though sometimes it seemed like he would trail off, or stop halfway through reading a track list to get to the next disc (maybe on purpose so as to not reveal everything? That would make sense; don't spill the beans on everything).

So Vol. III (from what he shared to us) is as follows:
    • Across the Water, Part 1 and 2: a two disc set ("albums and movies") that represents the '76 tour previously covered by Odeon-Budokan. He mentioned it contains songs from Odeon-Budokan, his shows in Hammersmith, Glasgow, and "somewhere else which I can't remember."
    • Hitchhikin' Judy: this covers the fall '76 tour ("which was a solo opening and then an intermission and then Crazy Horse'). He wasn't clear on if it contains both the solo acoustic performances and the CH performances, or even if any of the songs that appear on Hitchhiker (or anything else from this era) will appear.
    • Snapshot in Time: The "audio verite" audio documentary of him rehearsing with Nicolette and Linda before they began recording the songs that are on side B of American Stars 'N' Bars (a version of "Barefoot Floors" is supposed to be one of the tracks here).
    • Winward Passage: A live album of Ducks songs recorded live in Santa Cruz (hopefully "Cryin' Eyes" is on this still, as he said it would be earlier this year).
    • Oceanside/Countryside: The album he made before Comes a Time that he recorded solo acoustic before overdubbing additional guitars. There's 12 tracks (of which only "1 or 2 that have surfaced" previously). Many of the original versions of the songs that are on Comes a Time can be found here.
    • Union Hall: the Give to the Wind Orchestra rehearsal for their show in Miami. "Lady Wingshot" will be on here. Once he went back and read the track list, it was as follows:
    1. Comes a Time
    2. Love/Art Blues
    3. Union Hall Intro
    4. Are You Ready for the Country?
    5. Dance Dance Dance/Love is a Rose
    6. Old Man
    7. The Losing End
    8. Heart of Gold
    9. Already One
    10. Lady Wingshot
    11. Four Strong Winds
    12. Down By the River
    13. Alabama
    14. Are You Ready for the Country? (Reprise)
    15. Intro to Comes a Time Outtakes
    16. We're Havin' Some Fun Now (with Nicolette)
    17. Please Help Me I'm Falling
    18. Motorcycle Mama
    So the Union Hall rehearsal seems smack-dab in the middle of Comes a Time album tracks and outtakes (also bummer if the Comes a Time session version of "Daughters" isn't included).
    • Boarding House 1 and Boarding House 2: now a two disc set, with Boarding House 2 including his session with DEVO that he did in the afternoon before one of his shows at the venue (the first, I'm assuming, is the original compilation of live performances from the various performances). "Hey Hey, My My" with DEVO will be included. both the DEVO session and Boarding House performances will be included in a film.
    • Sedan Delivery: covers the Rust Never Sleeps period, but "it's different tracks selected from RNS," and it has a "wacky cover." Tracks that will appear include:
    1. Bright Sunny Day (not sure what version of this song it will be. Possibly a rehearsal/studio recording?)
    2. The Loner
    3. Welfare Mothers
    4. Lotta Love
    5. Sedan Delivery
    6. Cortez the Killer
    7. Tonight's the Night
    8. Powderfinger
    9. When You Dance (I Can Really Love)
    10. Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)
    • Coastline: covers the Hawks & Doves and Re-ac-tor era from July 1980-July 1981. It has "a lot of songs on it." Tracks that will appear on this disc include:
    1. Coastline
    2. Stayin' Power
    3. Hawks and Doves
    4. Comin' Apart at Every Nail
    5. Union Man
    6. Winter Winds
    7. Southern Pacific
    8. Opera Star
    9. Rapid Transit
    10. Sunny Inside
    11. Surfer Joe and Moe the Sleeze
    12. Get Up Now
    • Trans EP and Johnny's Island: another two disc set. The Trans EP will be the vocodor tracks from the album isolated on their own ("it takes you to that place and you stay there").
    1. Sample and Hold
    2. Mr. Soul
    3. Computer Cowboy
    4. We R in Control
    5. Computer Age
    6. Transformer Man
    Johnny's Island appears to contain the three other songs from Trans from the Hawaii sessions. Tracks that will appear here include:
    1. Johnny
    2. Island in the Sun
    3. Silver and Gold
    4. If You Got Love
    5. Raining in Paradise
    6. Big Pearl
    7. Hold on to Your Love
    8. Soul of a Woman
    9. Love Hotel
    ("Like an Inca" and "Little Thing Called Love" weren't read, but he previous said the three songs from Trans that are from the Commercial Recorder sessions will be on Johnny's Island)/
    • Evolution: covers Jan 83-Jan 84. He says that this disc has "a lot of different songs with a lot of different feelings," because he "started off doing 'California Sunset' and 'My Boy,' then we went into the Shocking Pinks period, and then came out of that and into (umm...) 'Hard Luck Stories,' 'I've Got a Problem,' 'Your Love,' and 'If You Got Love.' A lot of previously unreleased originals."
    • Touch the Night: a compilation of the two shows from Feb 7th, 1984 with Crazy Horse.
    1. Rock Rock Rock (or as he called it, Rock)
    2. So Tired
    3. Violent Side
    4. I Got a Problem
    5. Your Love
    6. Barstool Blues
    7. Welfare Mothers
    8. Touch the Night
    (he stopped reading here, but IMO this seems like there should be more tracks, and I wouldn't be surprised if this tries to duplicate the setlist from these two shows more thoroughly)
    • Grey Riders: another two disc set that covers June 1984-September 1985.
    1. Amber Jean (sounds like this will be a version recorded at the Saddle Rack on June 6th, 1984 during the early show)
    2. Get Back to the Country
    3. Are You Ready for the Country? (from A Treasure)
    4. It Might Have Been (from A Treasure)
    5. Soul of a Women
    6. Let Your Fingers Do the Walkin'
    7. Misfits (a previously unreleased live version)
    8. Nothing is Perfect (a previously unreleased version)
    9. Time Off for Good Behavior
    10. This Old House (original version)
    11. Southern Pacific (from A Treasure)
    He then talked about what he meant by an "original version" and trailed off, so I think the track list is incomplete (because this can't be an 2 disc set that has just 11 tracks on it). Plus he recently said that the original version of "Interstate" will appear on Vol. III, as well.
    • Road of Plenty: It seems like the focus has shifted to covering the Landing on Water/Life period, based on the tracks Neil mentioned (although it's possible that this tracklist could be incomplete, as well).
    1. Drifter
    2. Hippie Dream
    3. Bad News Beat
    4. People on the Street
    5. Weight of the World
    6. Pressure
    7. Road of Plenty
    8. We Never Danced (in a previously unreleased "original" version)
    9. When Your Lonely Heart Breaks (an "unbelievably great record" of that song)
    • Summer Songs: This closes out the set.
    1. Intro
    2. American Dream
    3. Someday
    4. For the Love of Man
    5. One of These Days
    6. Wrecking Ball
    7. Hangin' on a Limb
    8. Name of Love
    9. The Last of His Kind
    And before all of this, he showed us his Vol. III notes, and the cover page mentioned that this will cover 1976-1989, but this set seems to end nicely on 1987 with Summer Songs. So it's possible that some of the songs he did in '89 (like "Crime in the City" and the SNL rehearsals) that were to appear on Road of Plenty when he compiled it could very likely still be on this set.

24. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

With everything there, I feel kind of bad wondering about “Turbine”

25. zuma11

zuma11 Forum Resident

Winter Winds = Turbine

ARK, Jbird, Chief and 2 others like this.