Neil Young & Crazy Horse: New 2019 studio album “Colorado”

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Sean, footlooseman and Favre508 like this.
  2. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

Hmmm Catalyst video...77 Ducks, 82 Transband, 84, 90, 96, 97 Crazy Horse.
    To have the 1990 show on video would be special.

3. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

You can listen to a 7 minute live version of She Showed Me Love (the 13 minutes track) on Youtube. There is not much to get exited about IMO, but perhaps you are of a different opinion.

Hep Alien and ExHead like this.
  4. I wonder if the line at the end about gathering these films for people to enjoy” at the Hearse Theater and beyond” indicates some form of physical release?

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

Yeah, I have seen them. All with POTR. Hopefully on the album the CH 'vibe' is there :).

SmellTheHorse likes this.
  6. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Yes, I’m hoping the same! I do feel differently about Milky Way though. Add the smell to that one and we could have a full grown beauty.

7. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All! Thread Starter

I’m hoping ‘BBC 1971’ is the full performance, which was recorded but NEVER televised and has never been heard since:

Neil Young Set Lists
    -
    BBC TV Studios, London, England
    Number of shows:
    Shows recorded:
    Shows not recorded:
    Number of songs:

1971-02-23, BBC TV Studios, London, England
    Solo
    Out On The Weekend / Old Man / Journey Through The Past / Cowgirl In The Sand / Heart Of Gold / Don't Let It Bring You Down / I Am A Child/ There's A World / A Man Needs A Maid / The Needle And The Damage Done / Tell Me Why / Love In Mind / Dance Dance Dance

8. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

I vaguely remember Neil (or representative) saying that it was too expensive to get the copyright for that complete performance back from the BBC for Archives Vol 1.

The Archives sessions book lists the original broadcast takes but not the songs that weren't broadcast.

Hep Alien likes this.
  9. Brian Doherty

Brian Doherty Forum Resident

I don't know how i feel about Neil feeling that his particular talent and genius is required to be hands-eyes on in a film/video editing deck (like, can't he hire some super pros for that task? [cue smarty pants saying 'he should hire pros to write his songs and sing!']) rather than writing, recording, and performing songs, but also maybe this is just cover for "i'm taking a long vacation, I'm old."

Then again, I have a weird habit as a fan, with neil and dylan, of mostly forgetting that they have clear ambitions in filmmaking, since what they accomplish in it never interests me even 10 percent as much as their songs and performing them do.

Obligatory "neil can do whatever he wants man" but if we stopped there we'd run out of things to chat about....

Sean, davers, bonus and 2 others like this.
  10. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Keep in mind that the BBC & ITV do not have a great record when it comes to saving video from this era!

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Tracklisting :

[​IMG]

omikron, agn, Hep Alien and 23 others like this.
  12. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

isnt there a performance with joni and james taylor around same time, i have a tape somewhere

Sean likes this.
  13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

still nothing listed at amazon, not a word, nada, zilch.

14. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

He might postpone it and release Toast instead. Or not.

15. Big Swifty

Big Swifty Forum Resident

So cool that the guy who mastered this chimes in.

Man, I love this place.

ARK and Zeki like this.
  16. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

why should there be?

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

well, usually when an album is announced it gets put up on amazon with the tag line "TBA". then they post a release date and a 'pre-order' box you can check.

this one has not even been listed yet.

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

maybe the springfield's 'stampede'........................

ARK, SmellTheHorse and Nielsoe like this.
  19. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Hasn’t been officially announced either. Neil just told subscribers that it has been submitted to the label and has revealed the tracklist.

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

ok then.

21. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

He played six of these songs at a solo show here in Portland in May. I thought most of them were lovely. Milky Way and Green Is Blue were standouts, to my memory. Eternity, on solo piano and at Neil's age, was striking but strange, hope it comes off in a studio recording. He tends to over embellish songs I've first heard solo in their purest melodic form...but in this case it's the Horse. So we'll see. Will definitely pick this up.

Billy_Sunday, Hep Alien, Sean and 4 others like this.
  22. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I’ve been through most of these songs via Youtube and I’m starting to think of this album as rather promising. There’s an understatedness (probably not a word) to these song that has been missing from his songwriting in recent years.

Sean and anth67 like this.
  23. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Milky Way is an amazing song, and the solo version I saw in Spokane is one of the highlights of my Neil Young live experiences. For reference, I’ve seen him about 50 times, in various solo or band configurations, dating back to 1993.

Billy_Sunday, Sean and Erik B. like this.
  24. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Yeah, when that one finished, I thought, Wow, what was that? Expecting To Fly a little later was the highlight of my Neil-seeing career.

Billy_Sunday and Kevin j like this.
  25. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Saw him play Eternity in Port Chester NY last year, sounded good solo (at the wurlitzer? some type of keyboard).