Neil Young/Crazy Horse recording (no politics)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SmellTheHorse, Apr 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmellTheHorse

SmellTheHorse Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Here we can continue the closed thread, minus the politics.

I saw an interview with Poncho about it at the time, and I tried to find it today, but couldn't. I'll try again. Hopefully someone can find it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  2. SmellTheHorse

SmellTheHorse Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I made a post in the closed thread saying that it's a shame that people can't use tact here when discussing music they don't like. This is because someone else will surely like the song you're trashing, so it would be great if people could think before they react, and be respectful to others at all times. You can explain why you don't like something without trashing it in an immature way that makes you sound like you despise all who disagree with you. But again, certain people here keep showing us that they're incapable of being polite.

Anyway, there was one person who seems to have meant no harm, and just wanted to prove a point. This was Black Elk. So I just want to respectfully explain to Black Elk what I meant in the closed thread.

I mentioned how I've never trashed specific musical acts or their songs. The part of my post that Black Elk quoted was when I said, "Sure, I make comments on current popular music in general, and how bland it is (and compared to the sixties, that's a fact)," and Black Elk replied,
    Again, I don't consider your post disrespectful at all, Black Elk. I just want to clear up my meaning. I never said people don't like the stuff I called bland, nor did I say it was a fact that the popular songs are worse now, or that the past music was superior.

What I said was that it's a fact is that the music that's most popular today is bland when compared to popular music in the sixties. Think of all the sixties hits and how different they were to each other, including novelty songs. Now think of how similar all the most popular stuff of today is in comparison.

Just from a production style alone, it's much more similar than the sixties hits ever were. But I never said it's a fact that the current music is bad, because that's an invitation for people to get riled up, and again, that's never my intention.

As it is, some others sure did get riled up, and answered as if I said "all sixties good, all new stuff bad" like some kind of caveman. But this of course just shows how much thought they put into their reactions before they rant and rave, rather than being respectful and civilized.

When I compare the eras and explain my disdain for what's happened to music, I only compare the most popular stuff, since that is what's heard all over the place in every era, and that's why it's sad to hear the lack of variety now. Of course there will always be good stuff happening that won't get the attention it deserves...I see that point made over and over on YouTube and on this board when people bicker. I know it, that's why I always stress that it's the most popular stuff that's lacking in variety, which is the only fact I shared.

As for my opinion, I strongly dislike most of the current hit stuff.

From the mid nineties to today, of course there are still songs I like that are hits. But there are fewer than ever recently, and I still find myself thinking the production is too slick, and more often than not, the last chorus is repeated too many times.

I lament the loss of variety that was in popular music from the sixties (especially) to the eighties (to a lesser extent). Also, the majority of popular artists then either sang well, sang from the heart, or both. I miss that aspect. I can respect those singers for those reasons, even if I don't love their music. And I can stand to listen to them for that reason.

3. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I'm quite excited about the prospect of Neil recording with the Horse but if the last few years have taught me anything, it's that I need to keep my expectations in check. His last few non-archive releases have been spotty at best even though each album has a handful of excellent tunes on them. The Horse seems to bring out the best in Neil. I'm in the camp that enjoyed PP and Americana. Excuse the pun but since Poncho is retired, this is a horse of a different color without him. Don't get me wrong I love Nils, but it's a different dynamic with him in the band. Everything will be dependent on the songs Neil brings to the sessions. Will they be his A-level stuff or will they be the songs he seems to knock out in like 20 minutes or so ? Fingers crossed it's the former.

Yorick, No Bull, ExHead and 2 others like this.
  4. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

We used to be able to agree on a standard. Now everyone has their own. And there's no middle ground; it's either superlative or it's sucks.

And you've got so many prefacing their posts with I believe or I feel. Their beliefs and their emotions overrule facts.

sami likes this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i'll buy on release day, always do with neil young.......however, he has been massively disappointing since 2000. the hooks just aren't there anymore and 25 minute guitar solos get real old, real fast.

i was going to quit after the putrid, horrible, embarrassing, shameful 'a letter home', but i have persevered.......and keep hoping.

i still think he should institute some kind of return program for 'a letter home'......like maybe even trade on a new neil young album or something in that vein. or, re-release it without the phone booth and allow those who bought it to return for an even up trade.

6. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

After reading your gazillion posts that reflect the continued trauma "A Letter Home" has inflicted upon you, I hereby offer to sign a petition on your behalf for such a trade-in. Only for you, though! :D

Myke, Erik B., jeffsab and 2 others like this.
  7. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

Poncho's mentioned his dissatisfaction with Americana a few times, but here's a specific quote from Rolling Stone:

"At the end of the session, I go, “Neil, this is all fun and everything and we’re having a good time. But it sure would be nice if we did something we’re really known for, like jam.” And he says, “You know, I don’t have a jam song. It might be good to have a jam song.” I said, “Just pick any two chords and let’s go.” We started playing and he had a song with two chords, and I think it lasted almost 30 minutes. And that was the beginning of another record that we’re working on (Psychedelic Pill)".

Poncho is the guy who still prods Neil into working that bit harder, that extra 10% of effort and determination when just about everyone else is happy to settle for whatever they get. He's kind of taken on the role of David Briggs a little bit.

And as Niko Bolas says: "Poncho is the glue...without him it falls apart". We'll see how they get on without him, but Nils Lofgren is the right man to step into his shoes.

8. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I'm not even sure the promise of Crazy Horse album can persuade me to pick up a new NY album at this stage...not sure Neil has the song writing chops anymore to pull off a great album ...each new albums has 2 (maybe 3) decent songs and a whole load of disappointment.

Mr-Beagle, mikew, Erik B. and 3 others like this.
  9. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

"What I said was that it's a fact is that the music that's most popular today is bland when compared to popular music in the sixties. "

it's not a fact. it's your opinion.

10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I can't say that I've revisited "A Letter Home" more than once or twice but I don't mind it. It was an interesting experiment. My favorite part was when he spoke to his mother.

I too sometimes question why I keep buying the albums but just when I say that he delivers something I like. I can't say that anything has been a stone-cold classic since "Silver and Gold" but I don't regret buying most of these albums... well, maybe "Earth" and "Chrome Dreams II", ha ha.

I really liked "Fork in the Road". I think that was a near classic, but the lyrically content probably scared a few folks off. And I really liked "Peace Trail" too. Its just that I rarely find myself going back to listen to it. I'd rather just play "On The Beach" for the millionth time. But that's my problem, not his. It's no fault of the material. I don't think.

"The Visitor" I only played a couple of times and shelved it, but I don't exactly recall disliking it, per se. I just can't seem to work it into my rotation. "Carnival" and "Forever" were keepers. There's always at least one keeper. That's why I keep buying.

Legends are leaving us all the time. Neil is still here and still communicating with us, so we might as well stick with him as long as we still can and hear what he has to say. It won't last forever. We'll be glad to have all these albums available to us when he's gone.

Crispy Rob, enro99, milankey and 13 others like this.
  11. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I think this is a matter of "It's not so much what you say, but how you say it."

It's fine to have strong opinions on music. God knows, I do. But for the most part, I adhere to another adage that says "If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all." So, unless the person I'm responding to starts out with an attitude, I try to express a differing opinion carefully and with respect. With rare exceptions, I'm more likely to say "I don't care for…" as opposed to "That sucks."

Not sure I understand when this magical time was, and what the "standard" was that we universally agreed upon. Could you elaborate?

I'm not sure what you mean by this either.

When it comes to whether you like or don't like a given piece of music or an artist, it's entirely subjective. "Facts" may serve as background knowledge, but in the end they don't usually have much to do with the music produced — unless you're saying that a prevailing situation at the time the music was recorded influenced its nature in some way. And even then, you still in the end deal with the effect the music has on you, irrespective of this.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but if it's a matter of expressing your like or dislike of a song, album or artist, it would seem to me that "I feel" is an entirely appropriate phrase.

Tristero likes this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

appreciate it, now, can you let young know so i can get my money back for that piece of crap. (pun intended)

ever wonder if he released as a joke, just to see how many people would actually buy it?

and then laughed all the way to the bank...................

The MEZ and Zeki like this.
  13. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Looking forwars to hearing Nilsson on the album. It would be wonderful if he brought along his pedal steel to the session. I think if anyone could convince Neil to have pedal steel on a recording again it would be Nils.

The MEZ likes this.
  14. Daniel Plainview

Harry's alive!!!?!!

:tiphat:

Dave Armstrong and majorlance like this.
  15. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

More Sampedro comments on Americana:

"At first it didn't really go down that well," Sampedro says of the "Americana" songs. "I wasn't bummed or anything. I just thought, 'Here we are playing. He'll pull out some of his songs or some other songs,' and the next time we came it was more folk songs and then the next time it was more folk songs... for about five or six months in a row."

"I was jumping up and down and screaming and singing parts that I probably shouldn't be singing and just having a good time -- which is what we do," he says. "In my mind there's a little part of me that knows it's not Neil and it's not us. It's something else. But at the same time, when I listen to it, I like it."

I actually like Americana. I thought it was a really interesting project built around a solid concept. That said, it would have been a little underwhelming if it were the only full Horse (with Sampedro) record since 1996. There's that pure intensity to Ramada Inn and Walk Like A Giant that is very much in line with the records Crazy Horse made with David Briggs. So I'm glad Poncho pushed for something more.

I know Neil believes in following the muse, but his track record shows he actually responds well to a bit of external motivation, whether from his producer or record company or his band mates. Like most artists he appreciates a challenge, rises to the occasion.

16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Nicely said. I don't play anything to death anymore. I stream, too, so when Apple Music puts out a My Favorites playlist, songs get dredged up (that sounds negative, but I don't mean it that way). This week, the list includes My Pledge.

And I've mentioned before, but I've put together a fantastic compilation of post-2002 Neil that I do listen to.

I mentioned this in the thread that was axed, but I really would love to hear a Greendale: the Continuing Saga.

17. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

For decades I bought Neil on release day. That ended pretty much 12 0r 13 years ago. Not only did I buy on release day but also bought both the CD when those came along as well as the preferred vinyl. I do buy the archive releases in both formats.

JoeF., TommyTunes and The MEZ like this.
  18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

That a very...self effacing attitude. I'll try to implement that for any music I don't care for. No, I'll just go on thinking it's because it's just not good music.

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  19. Richard Starkly

Richard Starkly Can't tune a piano, but I can tuna fish

But it's Neil! I agree totally about the quality of the songwriting, especially the lyrics, but I'd rather have two or three decent songs than nothing. As long as he's still a great performer, which he is.

20. dmiller458

How many on this forum actually listen to what's out there now? We're currently in a pure pop era. I prefer rock and old school R&B. Today's hip-hop, blue-eyed faux and dance-pop doesn't really interest me that much. Does that make me a BOF? Probably.

But I've followed the charts ever since I first heard the words American Top 40. I listen to everything that goes number one (pop, country, R&B) at least once. With all the dreck, sometimes once is one too many.

If I didn't listen; most of these acts would off my radar. Rihanna, Drake, Adele, Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, Calvin Harris, Post Malone, etc... when I have free time for music, they're not the ones I'm going to reach for. Not when Muse, Jack White, the 1975 and Arctic Monkeys are available.

I can say that Drake or Sheeran suck and I can expect everyone to agree with me. Everyone except for their fans, that is. But do they suck or are they just mediocre? Not that bad isn't really a ringing endorsement.

enro99 likes this.
  21. Daniel Plainview

This is true, yet for everyone of us who loves "Fork in the Road" and hates "Le Noise" there's someone who loves "Le Noise" and hates "Fork", so it's hard to say what definitely sucks and what doesn't.

polk, Dave Armstrong, theMess and 6 others like this.
  22. dmiller458

IF you're going to be a ******, why should I bother to elaborate?

23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I liked "Fork" musically; a friend opined it sounded like a ZZ Top album. But I like ZZ Top. Could have been great with more inspired lyrics imo.

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  24. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

aaand this thread is off to a great start.

25. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

black is black, white is white, wrong is wrong, wrong is right.

GerryO and DTK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.