Neil Young & Crazy Horse - WORLD RECORD new, Rick Rubin-produced album 2022*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Sep 2, 2022.

1. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Anyone actually non-snarkily interested in the substance of the relationship between Neil Young and Rick Rubin should listen to their fascinating two-part podcast conversation from this past December. Their rapport is really interesting.

Neil Young, Part One | Broken Record

ARK, pexie, Mark Snowden and 15 others like this.
  2. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Neil is doing what Neil wants. Same as it ever was.

Long may he run.

TonyACT, texron, tug_of_war and 21 others like this.
  3. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Neil’s release schedule takes my breath away. If he’s not dropping either something from the Bootleg series, a random live album, Archive or even a new album with Crazy Horse, I start to get concerned if he’s alright. I hope I’m this productive when I’m 76.

4. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

the "woah, slow down neil" comments are really grinding my gears. i should hold my tongue and ignore them and not engage with strangers on the internet, but this attitude is ticking me off. are these comments coming from folks who bemoaned the decades long wait time before the release of the first archives sets? if you followed only neil's brand new releases (not archives), then it's been a year since his last LP. what's wrong with that? plenty of artists release an LP every year. the beatles did it for 7 years!

if you can't keep up, well that's on you. a quick google search will reveal all of neil's recent releases. if you have apple music you can see his albums right on his artist page. there's even a list on wikipedia.

anyway. i'm looking forward to all of neil's new albums and archive releases. bring 'em on.

5. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i'm assuming you have already heard the new album in its entirety, right? that's the only reason why you're commenting on the sound quality, right? so... what was your favourite track?

andyediewatt, Zeki and JoeRockhead like this.
  6. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I wouldn't be as upset about it if I were you.

ARK and Ryan Lux like this.
  7. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I don't think it's a "I can't keep up with everything he's putting out because it's too hard to know what those releases are" and more of a "stuff is coming out so frequently there isn't enough time to let one release sink in before another one is out". It's a good problem to have, but it's like you get a few spins in and oh, here's another to listen to.

TonyACT, dylankicks, ARK and 5 others like this.
  8. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I think it goes hand in hand, the new and old. I think like McCartney lately, Neil seems energized by staying active in any manner. Aside from pressing plant backups, I don't think a new LP will delay archive releases, but perhaps even enhance the archive pipeline as he stays engaged/interested in his career instead of a project like the electric car or whatever.

I could be wrong though

9. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

For me it's "I can't keep up with everything he's putting out because it's too hard to know what those releases are", but I just did a bit of homework on Wikipedia.

TonyACT, ARK, vegafleet and 2 others like this.
  10. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

yeah i took a shower after i wrote my comments and immediately regretted writing them.

at the end of the day, it's all just noise and we're allowed to discover it on our own time. i hope you find some time at some point, someday, and uncover the treasures neil has released over the last couple of years. there are some incredible, incredible things to listen to and enjoy.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    ARK, Sean, bonus and 3 others like this.
  11. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Neil is almost 77. I guess that he still has 4-5 years, if he's lucky, for releasing all this archival material on his terms. He's now necessarily prolific and his fans should be happy for this.

12. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Whoa, if you would have taken the time to read on further (2 whole posts) you would have seen I was kidding.

qtrules and noname74 like this.
  13. Fletch

Fletch Senior Member

And all right there in hi-rez on his app. You can check it out before deciding to buy it physically. The NYA was s a beautiful thing for fans.

eelkiller likes this.
  14. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I kept up the membership for the archive site. As you said it is a great tool for deciding what you need to buy and the extra stuff he puts up is fantastic.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  15. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Really? A deathwatch / geriatric ga-ga prognostication post in a new Neil Young & Crazy Horse album thread?

Go check out what 89-year-old Willie Nelson has been up to and get back to us.

:shake:

16. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I'm just grateful Neil is still as invested in music as he is. He could have dialed back, kicked up his heels, and let the record company roll out archive material at its own pace while he lived incredibly comfortably on the proceeds. Absolutely no need to keep churning it out. Zero risk to his legacy.

Instead, he keeps on rollin. Impressed.

TonyACT, ARK, 500Homeruns and 11 others like this.
  17. Geordiepete

Geordiepete Tippet tyer

Looks like the CD will present the preferred, improved edition:

Rick Rubin and I have produced the record and made the vinyl. That first edition will be improved upon when it gets to CD, but essentially it will be what it is on the vinyl. So it’s too late now to change the contents of the vinyl and some things will be a bit different in the digital versions, having evolved…not much though. Neil Young

ARK, FuturisticWorkshop, Sean and 3 others like this.
  18. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I don’t want Neil to slow down, I’m not sure he’s capable. I’ve managed to purchase virtually everything he’s released in the past what seems like my entire life. I’m amazed at how prolific he is.

19. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

And of course unlike most of his peers, he has chosen not to perform live since covid hit. I'm sure that's the main reason we're getting so many more albums.

ARK and chickendinna like this.
  20. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

So far at least, for me this is post of the day! Well done, ST!

21. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Classic Neil. This is how you know Neil is doing this for Neil... keep on tinkering until the last minute. Who cares if the formats are different? :laugh:

(And no... I don't think this was simply a ploy to sell more... but I'm sure that will be the take in about 3 seconds.)

ARK and Geordiepete like this.
  22. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

Neil Young is a real badass. Can't wait for more music from this man and the mighty Crazy Horse.

TonyACT, tug_of_war, Sorcerer and 7 others like this.
  23. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

I’d love to see Neil make one more really good album. I’ve been more interested in the archival releases because that Neil was a more interesting writer, and a better singer back the . But I still believe that with some focus and more attention to the songs, he could make an album I would love. The most striking thing about the archives is hearing how his songs work solo acoustic, with a band in the studio, and stretched out live with the Horse. It’s the writing where he has slipped. Those songs are great in any form. The passion in his work is still there. It just feels like a lot of it is first drafts.

24. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

What exactly is the legitimate source for this title? There is still no official confirmation of title, nor release date, as far as I know.

Hopefully it will be this year, as the thread title says, but who knows with Neil.

Skylarkblue likes this.
  25. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Totally agree. I love the sound, vibe and performances of his recent albums. Just not the songs...