Neil Young & Crazy Horse - WORLD RECORD new, Rick Rubin-produced album 2022*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Sep 2, 2022.

1. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

One of the first articles on NYA about the album months ago said the CD/Digital is the definitive version of the album. I haven’t got the time to sit down and work out what the differences are. I’m guessing it’s mixing and maybe the odd edit

2. All Shook Down

All Shook Down @Lost Mixtapes on You Tube

Source? Read/seen a lot of the interviews. The only difference I've heard about was the Chevrolet edits.

3. onlycastlesburning

onlycastlesburning it’s all one song

It's this Message from Neil piece: Neil Young Archives

He doesn't say CD/Digital is the "definitive" version. Just that they worked on it after they sent it out for vinyl (because the vinyl had to be produced so far in advance).

4. onlycastlesburning

Neil is on Rick Rubin's Broken Record podcast again today.

5. onlycastlesburning

This is probably the best Neil interview I've heard lately. He's way more open and forthcoming with Rubin asking him questions. He tends to avoid answering questions or giving a lot of detail with a lot of people, but you can tell making a record together made him more comfortable.

Twinge Crispy likes this.
  6. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Neil Young and Rick Rubin: 'World Record', Recording on Tape, and Creative Process

7. lemonade kid

I'd like to thank and acknowledge Neil for always sharing his new (and old) albums on youtube for a listen!
    a rare thing today, to share music, no strings...

8. lemonade kid

Quite wonderful as I listen today...Neil is a national (international) treasure!

Cheers to Neil! Long may you run...

:cheers:

9. lemonade kid

Chevrolet..17 minutes of wonder.

420JJJazz666, bonus and davenav like this.
  10. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I love that video interview with Rick Rubin!!! Seeing Neil open up about the process of writing and recording is just bliss.

And obviously, he tried a new approach to writing it, which is cool and interesting. Every writer should be so open to new ways! The first 40 or so pages of this thread, and all the presumptive ownership displayed in them, could easily be deleted and there would be no loss, imo. Neil has his own ways and answers to nobody!

I have not heard this album yet, but I have a really good feeling about it.

11. lemonade kid

Just got it today and so far....so GOOD! Your feelings are correct!

:edthumbs:

12. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Man. Shakey. What a guy. I love how naïve he is in so many ways. He’s amazed at how you can record melodies that pop into your head on a phone, and later turn those into a song. Yep, old guy, that’s how we do it these days.

13. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

New interview (from 2 hours ago) with Nils and Billy:

Good to see Billy looking and sounding well. Both of them seemed positive about the possibility of playing live again…… if it wasn’t for a certain Springbean….

Maybe sometime next year the Horse will ride out again…..

14. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

I listened to the RR podcast interview with Neil this morning which was very enjoyable. Then I tried to listen to the album. The key word is “tried”. What a piece of ***

Six Bachelors and JoeRockhead like this.
  15. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

That was a hilarious, classic Neil podcast. He's all excited about the magic of AM radio to deliver high quality analog sound to the masses. :laugh:

All Shook Down likes this.
  16. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

I think the biggest challenge will be making Neil’s dream of an “eco” tour a reality. If he’s trying to reinvent everything from crew transportation to food source/vendors it’s going to be very challenging. Even if he pulls it off, it would be very limited cities and venues.

Ricky Lampoon likes this.
  17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I feel like he’s just looking for an excuse not to tour at this point.

ARK, musicaner, Heart of Gold and 2 others like this.
  18. All Shook Down

All Shook Down @Lost Mixtapes on You Tube

It does seem odd that he keeps mentioning food vendors. I've seen Neil a handful of times and I don't think I've ever had a hot dog. Or anything besides a beer.

19. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

Not everyone is there for a hot dog or hamburger but it's the principle of the idea. Neil is as always an ideas man. Will be extremely complex to actually put in motion for every venue but as a vegetarian/foodie this is a good call.

20. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

If Neil's aim with two CDs was to mirror the structure of a 3-sided LP in terms of dividing up the flow, then theoretically he should have mader 3 CDs anway, so that you have to interrupt the music twice to change the side! His idea certainly does not make any sense to me or have I missed something?

21. onlycastlesburning

Regarding the food vendor thing, did his theater tours have food? I understand the arena/stadium type venues, those always have a huge food vendor component. I'd rather see him do smaller venues where its a mix of solo songs and crazy horse songs. Doesn't need to be huge venues. Arena/Stadiums seem bound to fail in terms of power and food.

22. Atron78

Atron78 Well-Known Member

Maybe Chevrolet is his murder most foul???

Adam Bosman likes this.
  23. lemonade kid

There has to come a point where Ol' Shakey just doesn't have enough in the tank to tour and record and concentrate on the NYA.
    I rather he saves what's left for new music and archive releases. We don't want to wear him out..long may he run. I'm 72--at 77 I don't see how Neil has the energy to tour...I wouldn't and I am pretty fit.

24. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

Yeah I think Neil’s touring days are over. Maybe a few shows here and there. That’s basically what he was doing before the pandemic.

25. JackOfAllTrades

JackOfAllTrades It's only my opinion

Yep. Total nonsense. I did read somewhere that it was to mimic the artwork rather than the musical flow - but even then a card replicating the 2nd record cover would have sufficed. And for a an album largely concerned with environmental issues to add to second bit of plastic is just dumb. (Not to mention the 3rd cd I used to burn a complete copy so I don't have to change CDs.)

TonyACT, Six Bachelors, ARK and 2 others like this.