Neil Young & Crazy Horse - WORLD RECORD new, Rick Rubin-produced album 2022*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Sep 2, 2022.

1. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

I finally got this ( for Christmas ) and just listened to it on my studio system and boy it's really good. Rick Rubin did a great job with the sounds I don't think someone else could have fit the sounds into the Sonic space as well as he did. This record is more creative and fulfilling than any of them in a while and I really liked Colorado. I still don't have barn. I just think that The melodies are fresh and the lyrics are nice and blurry, and Chevrolet is especially blurry musically as well which is great. I like the way he's working with ambiguities which he hasn't done for a while. And I just like the way everything sounds so good. Now I'm listening to the vinyl so I don't know about the streaming or CD versions.

Sean, GubGub, Zeki and 8 others like this.
  2. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Absolutely agree that the new album is just ear candy. I’ve now been three times through and it’s getting better each time. Cannot wait to get my hands on the vinyl. I’d highly recommend you pick up Barn though which is a very strong album. Neil has been on a roll!

Zeki, aphexj, Twinge Crispy and 3 others like this.
  3. teag

teag Forum Resident

Just heard this last night on vinyl. An enjoyable listen. Really good sonics and quite unique songs.

Zeki, aphexj and borderwolf like this.
  4. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

OK, OK, this is growing on me fast! I am being tested.

TonyACT and Zeki like this.
  5. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

Lyrics from Walkin’ On The Road:

Walkin’ on the road to the future is scary,
    We want to make the best of the past and not tarry

TARRY???? What the fk is that for a word?

So, in my indignant rage I repackaged this album and was about to send it back to NY HQ with a stern letter saying that if he was going to start making up words just for rhyming sake, then I want my money back.

However, I thought it best to check the dictionary first - and there it was: TARRY, an auld English word meaning to wait or loiter!

Well, everyday is a school day with Uncle Neil…….

6. in_the_fog

in_the_fog Forum Resident

A very nice and interesting interview. Great move by Apple to recruit Zane Lowe, who is always very thoughtful and well researched in his interviews.

Long time since I saw Neil being this funny and sharp.

aphexj and lemonade kid like this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Also heard in Steve Harley's Come Up and See Me

"There's nothing left
    All gone and run away
    Maybe you'll tarry for a while"

Endre Lunde and Ricky Lampoon like this.
  8. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Google search is always your Friend.

ARK, aphexj, Man at C&A and 2 others like this.
  9. Ricky Lampoon

I must have heard that song 100 times without ever noticing that word.

Maybe Neil is channeling his inner Cockney Rebel……

aphexj and Man at C&A like this.
  10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

‘Tarry’ isn’t that obscure of a word. :D

11. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

"Tarry" isn't that unusual a word, but it's uncommon in a rock lyric for sure.

Still, not as unusual as the use of "dawdle" and "toddle" by John Sebastian in the Spoonful's "Darling Be Home Soon."

But, darling, be home soon
    I couldn't bear to wait an extra minute if you dawdled
    My darling, be home soon
    It's not just these few hours, but I've been waiting since I toddled
    For the great relief of having you to talk to

Ricky Lampoon likes this.
  12. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I agree. I got the album for Christmas too so am only now really hearing it properly and it is a great sounding album. I saw the Harvest Time movie at the cinema during December and I really felt there was something of the feel of those sessions in these recordings. Definitely my favourite of the recent Crazy Horse albums. I'm still not convinced by some of the lyrics though and I can't see that Neil's on the nose environmentalism really serves any purpose lyrically, sincere though he clearly is about it. It is somewhat preaching to (a decreasing number of) the converted.

bonus likes this.
  13. Ricky Lampoon

I’ve just finished reading Neil’s Special Deluxe book - an enjoyable romp through his life from the perspective of the cars that he’s owned.

Thought it would be interesting to see how it tied up with his Chevrolet song (but, I mostly came up with nothing).

I don’t recall reading about a Chevrolet and there are certainly no paintings of one. Strange…..

There is a chapter on a Corvette though, which is mentioned in the lyrics. The book dates the car to a purchase in 1966 and then the car was soon repossessed when he failed to make payments on it.

This doesn’t tie in with the ‘new Mama’ reference, which most likely refers to Carrie Snodgress and their son Zeke. (New Mama appears as a song on the Tonight’s The Night album.)

But, it’s still a cool song and I won’t be letting Neil’s artistic license spoil my enjoyment.

14. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I'm going to assume you mean a decreasing number of those who need to be converted. But I'll leave it there before I get a warning (however non-political I feel this topic is).

I too enjoy the new album. It's definitely a very different sonic palette from the 'typical' Crazy Horse album. Would be interesting to see how this batch of songs fits in with a Crazy Horse setlist...

teag, Twinge Crispy and davenav like this.
  15. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I just meant Neil's audience is decreasing generally, like most performers of his generation sadly. Nobody is getting any younger.

lucan_g likes this.
  16. Ricky Lampoon

I’ll answer my own post……

Just realised that Chevrolet were the manufacturer of the Corvette, as the Chevrolet Corvette is mentioned in a news article about classified documents being found in Biden’s garage.

Still doesn’t explain the ‘New Mama’ reference though, if the car in the song is the 1957 Corvette written about in Special Deluxe, which was briefly owned by Neil in the late ‘60s.

17. borderwolf

borderwolf prisoner of rock'n'roll

Don't forget it's a song, not a documentary. The inaccuracies are narrative pretexts, they are not mistakes or mysteries. For example, in Long May You Run the protagonist is in Blind River in 1962. A mistake? No, 1962 just sounds better

18. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

I have to admit, as a long time Neil fanatic, I have been losing interest in his present ventures. I find myself going for what I know. That often leads to On the Beach. I have loads of Neil in my collection too. He was the first big concert I saw (1983). I liked when he crafted material rather than just go with flow of consciousness. I do love that he does exactly as he pleases. I saw Neil first right as Trans was released, so I am on for the long haul.

So I saw this thread and read some of the posts and thought I need to shake off the desire to just go for the standards. I appreciate the push and poke to get me out of the rut. Thanks for that.

19. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

The new radio edit of Chevrolet released today on streaming services actually works well and does the song justice.

aphexj and Twinge Crispy like this.
  20. mightyquinn61

mightyquinn61 Forum Resident

Chevrolet is great. The rest of this album does nothing for me. Barn on the other hand is one of his best.

21. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Well, I tried. Agree that Chevrolet burns a hole in the rest of the album. Where some hear Neil 'exploring ambiguity' I hear underwritten or half baked songs. They're not bad, but they're not good either.

I like the pump organ or whatever and the new approach to Crazy Horse as a low key ensemble. But I guess he should have let Nils play accordian (check out Grin albums if you want to hear some cool Nils accordian!)

Getting tired of Neil confusing spontaneity with inspiration. Or even the requirement for some refinement. Yeah I know. That's his thing. But the muse seems to have run dry herself.

Neil's dad on the cover? Meaning what? Neil's part of a journalistic tradition? LOL. Journalist don't try to shut down people asking questions.

Neil's voice is fading so that's not helping. Maybe he could have gotten some of this material across better with a stronger voice

So, I keep trying to hear what I might be missing, I haven't been moved by a Neil Young song since 'Natural Beauty' or maybe 'Without Rings'.

Let me put it this way: If this was Neil's first album, I wonder if he'd be able to make another on a major label, or sell enough copies to justify being an indie. Would there be an audience for this without the context of his past genius?

22. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Not a lot of artists put out their first album at age 77. It's not really a fair comparison to his solo debut which was when he was 55 years younger.

I get that this new album is not for everyone, but I love it. It's my favorite since Silver and Gold. Neil has always put out albums that not all of his fans are going to like. That's part of the reason why he is so great. He doesn't care if people like it. He does whatever he likes. His past success allows him to do this.

23. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I am still digging it. I like to listen to Dylan's Rough And Rowdy Ways and Neil's World Record back to back.

24. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I like "World Record". It has its flaws, but I think it's stronger than the previous two.
    That said, I have to admit I agree with this:
    So am I! I'm pretty sure he still have a couple of great albums in him if only he would work a little bit harder.
    But I'm glad he's still productive and delivering strong (imo) albums like "Storytone" and "World Record".

TonyACT and Ryan Lux like this.
  25. onlycastlesburning

onlycastlesburning it’s all one song

I was with most of your post but this is a pretty bonkers statement to make.