Neil Young Dead Man OST

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Neonbeam, Aug 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Quick question: it looks like the theme is on the current DVD?

https://www.amazon.com/Dead-Man-Johnny-Depp/dp/B00004Z4WX/

Also, Criterion has a new edition of the movie coming too:

Jim Jarmusch’s Dead Man Gets New Criterion Release | Pitchfork

jason202 and Chrome_Head like this.
  2. teag

teag Forum Resident

Anyone who has not heard this should preview it on Spotify or the streamer of your choice. To make sure you will want to listen to it more than once....

Chrome_Head and ARK like this.
  3. Harry Krishner

Harry Krishner Forum Resident

I love Neil Young's sound on this record. Good movie but an even better soundtrack.

Maurice, Sean, Heart of Gold and 3 others like this.
  4. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

For me this is very much similar to Miles Davis In A Silent Way. A slow building atmospheric album that really pulls you into the soundscape...great for late nights (maybe because as a student I listened to them both when doing all-nighters).

Maurice and Chrome_Head like this.
  5. Graham

Graham Senior Member

6. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

Such a great film and equally excellent soundtrack.

Greg Gee likes this.
  7. kevin5brown

Duh, that Pitchfork link had April 24th, and I missed the little "JANUARY 17 2018" in the corner, so I thought it was this year, but it was 2018! Cool. I don't have to wait for it. ;)

Graham likes this.
  8. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Neil signed my copy of this.

C6H12O6, Chrome_Head and Myke like this.
  9. kevin5brown

Quick question, the Criterion has the Theme of Dead Man song? Not clear from this list:

Maybe in the "Rarely seen footage ..." section?

10. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

I love this movie and the soundtrack too, but what’s with the idling vehicle noises on the soundtrack? I don’t get it, if it were steam engine noises then sure, ok... Maybe it’s just Neil being Neil (My reading of Waging Heavy Peace gave me plenty of insight into his car obsessions). Anyone have any insight into this? Looking forward to the vinyl release!

11. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

It sounds like I'm being deliberately obtuse but this is top five Neil album for me As an atmosphere piece it's just astounding and the chunks of dialogue from the film work so well in this context. As others have said, as a late night listen, headphones on, darkened room, it's a mind blower.

12. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

Mind you, electric guitars weren't historically accurate either...

I don't know this album, may have to seek it out.

13. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I still remember renting and watching the movie on VHS and immediately watching it a second time before I returned it, which I never do. Fascinating film and a big part of it was Young’s haunting score.

Yeah, I picked up the soundtrack CD used and was like “where’s the title song?” Lol. Early introduction to Neil, this was a bit before I had dived head first into his catalogue.

Greg Gee likes this.
  14. Thomas Casagranda

Thomas Casagranda Forum Resident

Nor were they accurate when Miles Davis did his Jack Johnson soundtrack.

Ray29 and JumpinJimF like this.
  15. JumpinJimF

JumpinJimF Still perfecting ways of making sealing wax

True. Great album though.

16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I caved in and pre ordered this yesterday. If it's the usual NY Pallas pressing it will be worth £24.

17. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

Does anyone know yet if there is anything different with the reissue packaging or label like a NYA reference?

18. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Not sure, the vinyl is now delayed until April 5th

19. FrankieFontaine

It can't be, record stores are posting live photos of the front cover of the vinyl for sale today on Instagram.

20. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Must be delayed in the UK only then.

FrankieFontaine likes this.
  21. Thumbpick

Thumbpick Well-Known Member

I just picked up a copy. On the back in the lower right corner just above the barcode it says, "Source: Mastered from 44/24 digital."

2LPs, inner sleeves are nice featuring shots from the film on 3 sides and info/credits on the 4th. One thing that's a little annoying is that on the record labels, it says 'Disc 1 Side 1 (1-5)' - in other words no track names. The track names aren't included anywhere on the outer sleeve or inner sleeves, either. So if you want to know the names of a track, you'll have to refer to another source.

I'm listening to it now though and I like it, but as far as I can tell it's no different from the existing CD version. No hidden tracks with the main theme or anything.

hvbias and FrankieFontaine like this.
  22. FrankieFontaine

This sucks, seemed like the golden opportunity to include "The Theme" track as a hidden track. I own the promo "Theme From Deadman" HDCD single anyway but it would have been cool to add it to the reissue.

Thumbpick likes this.
  23. Thumbpick

Agreed. Especially since there sure seems to be ample room on the LPs to fit it. Oh well. It's not hard to find the main theme on the web, but I too was hoping some version of it would make it onto this release.

24. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’m pretty sure Neil said on an Ask Neil question on NYA that it was too late to include it

25. Thumbpick

Lol...really? Not doubting your reporting that he said it, but it just sounds funny. Like, when has he ever let something like a record label's schedule stop him from doing what he wants?

FWIW, I submitted a question about it to "Ask the Archivist" on the NYA site.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    BlackCircleVinyl likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.