Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Regardless of one's opinon on them, POTR sure do know a lot of songs -- this was on stage wednesday night on the drum riser behind the bass player:

[​IMG]

Dave G., Graham, Quincy and 8 others like this.
  2. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’d love it if they pulled out Shots

3. JoeRockhead

That version maybne was on the 12-inch single? later available on the Lucky 13 comp. Don't think it was the version on the Trans album. But I could be wrong.

Crazy Horse guitarist Poncho Sampedro recalled, "Next thing we knew, Neil stripped all our music off, overdubbed all this stuff, the vocoder, weird sequencing, and put the synth s*** on it."

4. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

What was their studio name?

5. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

I think POTR gets a bit of a bad rap around here. They are not perfect, granted. They have a dumb name for starters, and Lukas gets a bit too noodle-y on guitar solos for my taste, but Neil clearly has a great time playing live with them and that definitely counts for something.

I just saw the 2 shows they did in Port Chester this week and they only repeated 3 songs over the 2 nights. Night one they opened with a 20-minute "Like an Inca" and last night they did "Albuquerque"!!! If they and Neil keep breaking out gems like that while drastically mixing up the setlists, I'll tolerate Lukas occasionally playing guitar with his teeth.

6. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’ve just noticed that Fillmore East and Massey Hall are finally available to buy individually as 24/192 on the NYA Download Store

7. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

they didn't have one, as far as i know.

jammincrowe and JoeRockhead like this.
  8. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Holy crap, some of the songs on that list. “Don’t cry (my sweet love.)”

stef1205 and bonus like this.
  9. JoeRockhead

They won me over at these two shows. I have been critical of them but they played great the last two nights, and Neil obviously was having a great time and was energized playing with them.

10. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

I guess a new song was played the other night?
    Those lyrics, sigh.

Tropehjelm and YoungMark like this.
  11. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

It'll be awesome when he plays it with The Horse though. :)

Boswell likes this.
  12. windfall

windfall Senior Member

oh my lord. :shake::shake:

13. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Apart from the key he's chosen, the melody, the lyrics, the vocals and the performance, it's great.

RomanZ, Boswell, RayS and 1 other person like this.
  14. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

You my friend need your ears tested. It's woeful. A 2 Year Old could write a better song. And those backing vocals are so off key its a total joke. Thank God he has a magnificent legacy of other songs.

15. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident

I think you completely missed the point of his post

16. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Yeah. That's OK. Sometimes irony goes MIA in forum discussions.

I have such huge respect for Neil's legacy. But I wish he would, like, say, Dylan and Bruce, recognise when the muse has departed - even if it's for a long time or forever. But he's Neil. And Neil will do what he wants!

klaatuhf and ExHead like this.
  17. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

There's a similarly-impressive list of songs available at karaoke night at my local pub, complete with autocue.

(My point being that setlist diversity has never been an indicator of excitement at Neil's gigs, unless approached with a trainspotter-type mentality. When we look at Neil's most musically exciting tours over the years, they are rarely those with the most varying array of songs. Intense focus seems a more significant quality).

He's still come out with some gems in recent years, songs he wouldn't have gotten to without passing through some more underwhelming ones in the process.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    dtuck90, Boswell, ExHead and 2 others like this.
  18. Terry

Terry Senior Member

How can people not be impressed with this band?

19. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

"The Royal Pineapples" were the band that recorded the non-vocoder songs.

Sigma6 and Heart of Gold like this.
  20. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Quantity over quality. Not impressed.

Larry Schmidt and ExHead like this.
  21. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I love this post. Lately more and more I've completely dropped and surrendered all of my inclinations to be critically negative ("the congas aren't working...") in favor of letting it all ("it's all one song") wash over me for as long as Neil or I have left. That, and gratitude. It's not gonna last forever for any of us.

22. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Point taken. I wish he would leave the really poor songs off the rekkidds, but they're his rekkids.

klaatuhf and RoyalPineapple like this.
  23. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Forum Resident

Both Peace Trail and The Visitor were valid works with several good to very good and borderline great songs. Hey, we all have our opinions...and Neil has lost much of his fan base, but they'll come back around someday.
    NYF

qtrules likes this.
  24. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Sorry.. I read it too quickly. I get it now and totally agree obviously. My apologies but let my post stand in lieu of anyone else who actually does think its wonderful :)

windfall likes this.
  25. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

IMHO those albums contain some of his worst ever recorded songs. Only the songs "Peace Trail" and "Show Me" were above average on the former album and "Already Great" and "Children of Destiny" were the standouts of the latter album. "Peace Trail" contains some songs which I consider to be THE worst songs he's ever written and recorded. They are laughable. "The Visitor" was a step up in quality but way short of the mark still. All IMHO.