Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

Just a hunch but he may be dealing with the loss of his house in the recent fires. There are priorities in life...

2. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

or ya know, he did just release a fantastic archival recording and all. 2nd of the year, btw! With Hitchhiker last year, that makes three of the best albums in his entire catalog!

Songs for Judy is right up there with Massey Hall as arguably the best live acoustic album he has made, ROXY is easily every bit as good as Tonight's the night, which is arguably his best album and finally Hitchhiker is a fascinating look into a great night in the studio.

We're doing pretty good, there are lots of bonus videos to look for in the archives. It will be great when they add more stuff, but listen to Songs for Judy again. In fact, I am going to turn Sonic Youth off of spotify, move over to the archives and do just that!

3. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Neil is focusing on Greendale with Song of the Day. I hadn't ever seen the movie, though on sale in the shops years ago. The movie with the accompanying music help to clarify the story. His themes are always actual. Nice movie, supported by a solid soundtrack.

RomanZ likes this.
  4. Heart of Gold

Areas with major updates on NYA:
    1) A lot of official videos,often obscure, since Trans to these days.
    2) Recent archival releases have a solid apparatus of photos(except Hitchhiker )
    3) Harvest unseen videos.
    4) A Treasure with videos, unreleased photos and manuscripts.
    5) Ragged Glory session photos.
    6) Rust Never Sleeps videos.
    7) Living With War (?)
    I don't remember if part of this stuff was present before the subscription.

5. pjpitt89

pjpitt89 Forum Resident

Am I the only one not seeing these videos? Mentioned above is the A Treasure vidoes, Rust Never Sleeps? What am I doing wrong?

6. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Live Rust has videos not RNS. You have to go into the cabinet and click on the file folders for each song and look for the video button. Or click on the album and see the folder next to each song.

7. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I wish there was a dedicated video section. It would be a lot simpler.

qtrules likes this.
  8. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

personally I like the interface, it's artistic and invites experimentation. It reminds me of how DVD's used to be presented. Things to click on, secrets to find.

9. Heart of Gold

No updates on NYA in the last 2 weeks, except for the Song of The Day section. Honestly I' m surprised. What's happening? Everyone on holidays?

James Bennett and YoungMark like this.
  10. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

Later Ken Viola told me: "I did not hear High School Graduation till years after I recorded the song. Someone played the uncompleted run-through for me. Couldn’t even call it a demo. Don’t have (a copy).”

Syscrusher and Heart of Gold like this.
  11. Heart of Gold

High School Graduation was considered for the Archives, but not released.

Rasselas likes this.
  12. Rasselas

Don't give up! There are a few closed FB groups intended exactly to avoid the inanities of the big RUST group. There is for example a very excellent closed Neil Young Archives group which I suspect some here are members of under different names!
    And I have to confess that I have a week ago myself launched an FB group (currently still an open group) focussing exclusively on the unreleased songs and song performances which are not (yet) available on NYA and which are my particular hobby horse. If you want to have a look, go to
    In case this link is unreliable, it's called Neil Young Unreleased Archive
    The group is not aimed at the experts (like you guys ;-)) but more at the less informed but still very serious fans who don't know so much about the unreleased stuff. There has already been some interesting discussion, for example about Bob Young's prison sojourn (in the context of Time Off For Good Behavior!). And experts to raise the quality are very welcome!

jhw59 and Heart of Gold like this.
  13. Rasselas

Robert Sampimon with a little help from friends has just produced a media list of all the NYA videos including direct links. If he's not here already, you'll find him on FB.

14. Rasselas

A couple of days after the 1 Dec launch, I got a reply from the Archivist literally inside 10 minutes! Must have been lucky, but Neil has already answered two of my letters, so I guess I just am. Probably never hear from either of them again.

qtrules likes this.
  15. Heart of Gold

Probably I'm the only one, but I think that the recent archival releases are among the best things of Neil Young. Cellar Door, A Treasure, Blue Note Cafe recordings, Hitchikker, The ROXY-TTN Live and ultimately Songs for Judy are an impressive body of work.

mgb70, Kahunasunset, Jbird and 6 others like this.
  16. Heart of Gold

The Rusties are a mixed bag of people. There are the more knowledgeable people. Others are party people. It's o.k. There's everything.

17. Heart of Gold

There're great tapers or experts as Scott Sandie, Pete Long, Tom Hambleton, Mike Cordova, just for naming a few and many others. Many are of the same level of Joel Bernstein, if not more.

18. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Wasn't expecting a huge drop of unreleased stuff on December 1st, but if they don't announce some tour dates and pre-sales in the next month or two, I'm going to be disappointed.

YoungMark and Heart of Gold like this.
  19. Rasselas

A question on Old Ways (the unpublished album)
    (I'm having an intensive NY day as you may note. It's raining hard.)
    Putting together all my references, the information on possible album projects called Old Ways, before the "real" Old Ways appeared, suggest two different projects.
    The first from 1983 is described in Neil Young - Old Ways 1
    The other, described in BA#41 pp.13-14, has not it seems been given a title and is suggested to be from 1985. Five of the suggested titles however appeared later on A Treasure. Is that in fact what this second project ended up being?

Only three songs are listed as possible titles in both projects: Dance, Dance, Dance/Depression Blues/Silver And Gold. The rest are ascribed to only one project, including 8 that actually turned up on the official Old Ways.
    Does anyone have any comments or other information on the reality of these two projects?

20. Heart of Gold

Very interesting new articles on NYA. There's a ****ed up on the Hyde Park presales without informing NYA and his subscribers. Personal excuses of Elliot Roberts and Neil. Neil hates the sponsor, Barclay Bank because anti environment.

YoungMark and vertigone like this.
  21. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Didn’t bother him in 2014

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  22. Heart of Gold

This was an article full of inaccurate information. Don't worry...Neil speaks only about the Old Ways 83 and Old Ways 84. A Farm Aid Ep was planned in 1985.

kevywevy likes this.
  23. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

The information I have has songs recorded in 1983 at House of David in Nashville recorded with The Harvesters & The Redwood Boys:

California Sunset
    My Boy
    Depression Blues
    Silver And Gold
    Old Ways
    Beautiful Bluebird
    Are There Any More Real Cowboys?
    Dance Dance Dance

Recorded in 1984 at different studios in California and New York by The International Harvesters:

Mystery Man
    Someone Who Cares For Me
    Don’t Make Me Wait.

And songs recorded in 1985 at The Castle in Nashville with The International Harvesters:

Old Ways
    Beautiful Bluebird
    Are There Any More Real Cowboys?
    The Ways Of Love
    Amber Jean
    Get Back To The Country
    Bound For Glory
    Fingers
    Hillbilly Band
    Misfits
    Once An Angel
    Where Is The Highway Tonight?
    Your Love Again
    Nothing Is Perfect
    Leavin The Top 40 Behind
    Time Off For Good Behavior

Plus Grey Riders, This Old House And Interstate could possibly have been recorded in 1985.

I could be missing some songs too.

YoungMark and Kahunasunset like this.
  24. Heart of Gold

Someone Who Cares For Me, Mystery Man and Don't Make Me Wait have never been recorded by Neil. (Letter by Joel Bernstein on BROKEN ARROW). I had also researched on the origin of these songs.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
    Syscrusher likes this.
  25. Heart of Gold

January 83
    I'd add: Soul of Woman
    Turbine/Winter Winds
    And I'd cancel Beautiful Bluebird.

Syscrusher likes this.