Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Pacific NW (Portland, Eugene, Spokane, Seattle) dates coming in May, says Neil.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  2. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Which is exactly why I have not signed up.

arthurprecarious likes this.
  3. Toddarino

Toddarino Total Hunk

I really hope at least one is CH.

ExHead and footlooseman like this.
  4. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

Agreed. A major attraction of the archives, for me, is the easy access to great tickets. I had no trouble getting front row tix for NYCH in Fresno last May. Hoping the same for northwest folks.

[​IMG]

enro99, WJA, adamos and 4 others like this.
  5. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

From the recent Neil' s answers to his fans, surprisingly enough Standing In The Light of Love isn't on Toast, but they 're searching a master from the live performances. Separate Ways is on Homegrown.

Graham, YoungMark and malfano like this.
  6. Heart of Gold

This omission doesn't leave many candidates for Toast. Probably it justifies his original status as abandoned and unfinished album.

7. Heart of Gold

8. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

Toast is well.....er.....Toast?

9. malfano

malfano Forum Resident

Geez. I’m feeling like homegrown will wind up being the greatest Neil album ever. One of my life goals is to hear it.

sram16, YoungMark and Heart of Gold like this.
  10. YHF

YHF Forum Resident

A reissue of the Dead Man soundtrack is due out on March 8 on Vapor Records. Anyone with any info as to whether this is an Archives release? The price is quite good--$16 for a 2LP set.

jumpinjulian, Johan1880 and Rockinrob like this.
  11. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Yes it is. Was mentioned by Neil a few months ago

12. teag

teag Forum Resident

I listened to Deadman on Spotify. I have every NY release. Won't be getting this one. I suggest no one buy this without a preview first.

Tuck1977 likes this.
  13. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I emailed them about this and got a reply saying they were working on it. At least they replied!

rockclassics likes this.
  14. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

New feature on the Contrarian called "Subscriber News" which lets you know of some of the new things that they add, which is helpful.

RomanZ, JoeRockhead, Jbird and 2 others like this.
  15. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I see two new songs were played in Milwaukee the other night - Sugar Mountain

16. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

Interesting discussion starting up in the Neil Young Unreleased Archive Group on Facebook. I said I would keep this group posted. Johan Erikson raised the question of whether there is a studio recording in the Archive of the full 11-verse and 18-minute version of Sixty To Zero which was played on tour in the summer of 1988. It was shortened during the tour and is only 8 minutes when the studio version was finally released on Freedom in Octoer 1989.

I believe the Freedom version is definitely an extract from a longer recording. It starts so abruptly that it sounds to me like a cut in. And the Freedom "intro" on the album is basically the same length as most of the other instrumental breaks between verses anyway.
    By contrast, the Blue Cafe version (from the same summer as the Freedom recording) has an intro of only 15 secs or so. Perhaps the original intro from Freedom is/was similar in length to the Blue Cafè version?

Also important: the Freedom version was recorded on 29 Jul 1988 which puts it 3 weeks before the next known 18+ minute performance live in Toronto. Surely it makes more sense to think of the uncut Freedom version as being the original (long) version which was then played almost immediately in full length live on tour. Experience made them play it shorter later in the tour, and the same thinking then led to the editing of the very first long studio version for use on the Freedom album, which was released over a year later in October 1989.

So in a nutshell:
    The break before Verse 6 of the live version was turned into the intro on the studio version for Freedom. And rather than using the first section and fading out (to keep to a manageable album length) they started instead in the middle and went through to the end keeping the final outro of some 70 seconds.
    In that sense, the correct title for the track on Freedom should be ...Part 2 not Part 1!

If you don't want to discuss it here, join us in the group. Neil Young Unreleased Archive

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  17. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    vitorbastos123, Graham, DTK and 2 others like this.
  18. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

streaming trans on NYA. holy damn the quality is better than my old cd rip.

19. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

Are you sure? Because the stream is CD quality.

DTK likes this.
  20. Heart of Gold

Minneapolis Live streaming on NYA. I hope that it will be tonight.

21. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

You'd think he'd tell us WHICH of the Minneapolis shows he was going to stream (surely they must have decided that already), but it's great that we'll get a solo show and a band show streamed in short order. My $20 will have been "earned" 5 weeks into the year.

Good to see that the stream of one of the Winnipeg shows has been confirmed. It would be nice if it wasn't the show opposite the Super Bowl, but that's just one man's opinion.

Efus and Heart of Gold like this.
  22. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Maybe they have a remastered version of Trans up streaming now.
    Just my take, the sound quality of the remastered cds was pretty signifigant over the original releases.
    Last ORS release was 8.5-12, I believe, ended with Live Rust.

23. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Senior Member

CCrider92, Scott S. and lambfan68 like this.
  24. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Best thing about it IMO. something good to watch!

Syscrusher and unclefred like this.
  25. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I don't care about commercials and half time shows and whatever else, but I do like the sport. :)

JoeRockhead likes this.