Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

I guess if we're talking only songs(or versions) that haven't been released on something else? Then Homefires might include.

Hawaiian Sunrise
    Love Art Blues
    Homefires
    Frozen Man
    Changing Highways
    Bad News
    Daughters
    Give Me Strength
    Hawaii
    maybe Pushed It Over The End
    Barefoot Floors if it was recorded properly.

2. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

I'm thinking you are probably right. The whole dump everything approach I don't think would be very successful, I understand and appreciate the sentiment behind it, but I just don't think it's the best approach. I'd be happy with him just committing to quarterly archival releases. Maybe one unreleased studio album per year, one 60s-70's live album per year, one 80's-present live album per year and then a flex pick where it could be anything he feels he wants to get out there. I think that would satisfy most people here and get most of this stuff out there in the next 5-10 years. The problem with that approach is it requires consistency from Neil, which is something that doesn't really enter his vocabulary. Ideally an approach like what Third Man Records does would be amazing, but would you trust buying a yearly subscription to a service like that for Neil, I just have no confidence things would be released on schedule at all.

3. So will Homegrown definitely come out next year? According to what I've read elsewhere it's ready to go but only on LP somewhat misguidedly.

4. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Changing Highways (maybe recorded only with Crazy Horse?
    Bad News (not recorded? )
    Hawaii (recorded?)
    Pushed It Over The End (not recorded)
    Mediterranean
    The Sailboat Song
    Pardon my Heart

tug_of_war likes this.
  5. Heart of Gold

Plus Deep Forbidden Lake
    The Old Homestead

qtrules likes this.
  6. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Yes I wonder where that stray Crazy Horse recording will land? As for the released songs I suppose it depends when this Homefires album was put together. Is it an album of strays or was it put together back in 1974/1975?
    NYA will give us official details of what was recorded or not. (Or will they? If archives volume 1 is any indication they might not.) But in Shakey Hawaii was placed with the ‘74 tunes not the Indigo Ranch tunes, for what that’s worth.

7. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

Isn’t Sailboat Song actually Thru My Sails?

bonus likes this.
  8. Heart of Gold

There're more versions from the June Rehearsals.

footlooseman and bonus like this.
  9. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

If you mainly want the best chance of getting good "official" recordings of so far unreleased songs from the IN THE CAN voting, then according to my information you ought to be going for:
    Homegrown
    Homefires
    Island In The Sun
    Oceanside Countryside
    Toast
    in that order. But it's a big IF of course...

Syscrusher, Jbird, swedgin and 2 others like this.
  10. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I will be voting this way.

I would encourage others to do the same.

Rasselas and Jbird like this.
  11. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

Homegrown
    Homefires
    Over the Rainbow

malfano and hodgo like this.
  12. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Thanks to the recent Rolling Stone article, the world now is super-pumped for Homegrown(myself included)...I've gotten a few messages from friends who are not totally familiar with Neil's unreleased canon, stating how happy they were for this new (old) LP.
    Me too....

tug_of_war likes this.
  13. Has it been formerly announced? Is it definitely on?

14. JayB

JayB Senior Member

I wont believe it until it's in my hand.

15. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

16. Booga

Booga Forum Resident

Some people have a limited amount of money to spend on nice things, and allocate it accordingly. They might have thought that a year's subscription would be worth the investment, only to regret it a year later after getting access to very little of the unreleased stuff they're interested in. I'm one of those people - which is why I cancelled my subscription a while ago. It looks like that situation might change next year, with lots of great stuff coming out on the site - I really hope it does.

But my post wasn't about the NYA website, or the practice of automatically renewing subscriptions - it was in response to your sneering tone.

17. teag

teag Forum Resident

Maybe you can raise the funds via Kickstarter!
    :shh:

Heart of Gold likes this.
  18. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Forum Resident

Yep, that's exactly how I'll be voting: Homegrown, Homefires, Island In The Sun. I had already decided that before reading these posts, based on that same logic: the most unreleased new songs. That's what it's all about for me. The 1974 period has long been the holy grail, considering a) it's undeniably Neil in his prime, and b) there are so many titles recorded that year and so few released.

Rasselas, Crispy Rob, Porkpie and 7 others like this.
  19. purple-lazy

purple-lazy Forum Resident

Ha! I'd love it. That tour was my first NY concert. Neil being goofy and great. I love the climax of the show with Sun Green/Be The Rain.

But it doesn't quite make my top 3 at the moment.

I'm leaning towards:
    1. Toast
    2. Alchemy
    3. The Ducks
    Alchemy should have stuff from shows I saw, hopefully including Danger Bird from The Plenary Melbourne 13/3/2013.

I'm also counting on Homegrown coming out anyway as number 0.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  20. ra7968

ra7968 Chips & Queso

An informal poll of 255 respondents on the big FB RUST page has Homegrown, far and away, the favorite, followed distantly by Toast and then Chrome Dreams. A polling of a more selective group of Archives Scholars has Homegrown first, followed by Homefires and Toast tied for second. Homefires has such low name recognition due to it's never having been introduced that it is unlikely to be chosen by the casual fan. The FB RUST poll may be indicative of what will happen. But this all begs the question as to whether Vol2 will come out next year at all. Now that we know a thing called Homefires exists, its hard to imagine it being released after vol2. I mean, what would be the point of that? Vol2 will contain all of those tracks, so who would rebuy them? To me it makes the most sense to get the individual albums out of the way first. Then tie it all up with the box set.

Heart of Gold and purple-lazy like this.
  21. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

The original Chrome Dreams is out on bootleg, and (following the release of Hitchhiker) all but two of the tracks are officially released in great sound anyway. So an odd one to pick.

Toast is an interesting one for sure, but a gamble seeing as it may just be an album of mostly aborted versions of the same tracks that made it to Are You Passionate? the following year.

Contemporary interviews with Crazy Horse suggested they only managed to finish one song (Goin' Home) to an acceptable standard, and even that skeletal version isn't particularly impressive compared to the live versions with Crazy Horse and Poncho and The MGs. This suggests it may mostly be a ghost album, a hint of what might have been; more exciting in the imagination as an unreleased album than it is in reality.

Homegrown is obviously one we all want to hear; but isn't that one definitely, certainly, absolutely coming out next anyway? :shh: Therefore, for those convinced of its imminent release, a vote for it is essentially wasted. We shall see.

Anyway. My prediction is that the voting thing will have about as much impact (AKA: very little) as BD-Live did ten years ago; it's a selling point to sweeten the price increase that Neil will very quickly lose interest in. It's good he's engaging with his fans, but he's not the sort of the guy who does something just because it's popular.

I don't think anyone really cares about picking the releases; in truth, we want to hear it all. No, not all in one go, but with less "this will be happening next year - probably, unless something else comes up" and more action in the present day.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Alan57, purple-lazy and Syscrusher like this.
  22. rammestuss

rammestuss Well-Known Member

Just an attempt to make sense of all the announced archives titles (those in bold have already been released).

Performance Series

00 -- Sugar Mountain - Live at Canterbury House 1968
    01 -- Live at the Riverboat 1969
    02 -- Live at the Fillmore East 1970

02.2? -- CSNY at Fillmore East 1970
    02.5 -- Live at the Cellar Door
    03 -- Live at Massey Hall 1971

03.5 -- Stratford Shakespeare Theater
    04 -- Tuscaloosa
    04.5 -- Over the Rainbow
    05 -- Roxy Live
    06 -- Bottom Line 1974
    07 -- Songs for Judy
    07.5 -- Ducks
    08 -- Boarding House 1978
    08.5? -- Berlin Trans Band 1982
    08.7? -- Solo Trans (1983 tour)
    09 -- A Treasure (’84-85)
    10 -- Garage (1986)
    11 -- Bluenote Café (’88-89)
    11.5? -- Live Freedom (Acoustic European tour 1989)
    11.7? -- Crazy Horse Catalyst 1990
    12 -- Dreamin' Man Live '92
    13? -- Mirror Ball Live Dublin
    14? -- Greendale Live
    15? -- Greendale at Vickar Street
    16? -- Trunk Show
    17? -- Alchemy 2012/2013
    18? -- Tower Theather Philadelphia 2018
    19? -- Polar Vortex 2019

Special Release Series

00 -- Early Daze (1969)
    01 -- Harvest Time ??
    02 -- Time Fades Away II? (possibly scrapped for Tuscaloosa?)
    03 -- Homegrown
    03.5 -- Homefires? (possibly Homegrown outtakes?)
    04 -- Odeon Budokan (March ’76)
    05 -- Hitchhiker (Nov ’76)
    06 -- Chrome Dreams
    07 -- Oceanside Countryside (1976-77)
    08 -- Islands in the Sun (1982)
    08.5 -- Ragged Glory II?
    09 -- Toast (2001)?
    10 -- Paradox

Releasing all this will take Neil ages... : ) : (

laf848, jay.dee, highway and 8 others like this.
  23. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

What are the chances that this vote is never mentioned again? :laugh:

24. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

over the rainbow would be 5.5. it was a month or two after roxy.

25. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

"Ooop, sorry, folks. Neil had too much butter on his toast this morning. Homegrown is delayed indefinitely."

highway and tug_of_war like this.