Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. RustedOutGarage

RustedOutGarage Well-Known Member

Dont forget Meadowdusk!

footlooseman and bonus like this.
  2. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

and times square.

footlooseman and bonus like this.
  3. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

'Toast' is also low on my list because of the underwhelming version of "Goin' Home" that has been released from those sessions. A live CH release from the 2001 European tour would be nice at some point in time.

Rubberpigg, Richard Starkly and bonus like this.
  4. Richard Starkly

Richard Starkly Can't tune a piano, but I can tuna fish

This x1000. "Goin' Home" is an amazing song and the 3 or 4 versions I've heard from that tour all do it justice in a way the sluggish studio version doesn't. I think this one was on his official site for a while and it's a beauty:

5. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

this is insane. thank you for sharing!!!

6. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Neil mentions an unfinished song, called Decade from the Decade time frame.

tug_of_war, nbadge and Syscrusher like this.
  7. cass

cass Forum Resident

any chance a live album of the stills-young tour could be part of the special release series?

footlooseman and chickendinna like this.
  8. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Yep that's a killer version. Love Larry pounding away at the piano.

Richard Starkly and highway like this.
  9. Heart of Gold

No, with all these announced projects.

10. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Neil has surpassed various studio versions with incandescent live performance many, many times, but pooh-poohing "Goin' Home," the only truly rewarding and worthwhile thing on Are You Passionate?, as ""underwhelming" and "sluggish," is not a killjoy verdict I'm down with.

robcar, nbadge and James Bennett like this.
  11. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

I stand by my comment that "Goin' Home" as presented on AYP? is underwhelming. It may sound better next to other CH songs from the Toast sessions but it doesn't fit on that album. Even the live CSNY version from 2002 is better than the studio take.

davers, DTK, nbadge and 1 other person like this.
  12. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

listening through decade on NYA, which is something i don't think i have done before. this is such a great compilation of tunes. lots of variety with unreleased stuff sprinkled in too. the flow from track to track is terrific.

13. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Indeed. Great record. So many of his 70s releases had a bit of a hodge podge feel. This one fits in like a glove. Side 5-6 is A+ just on its own.

14. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

New to vinyl and considering ordering the latest reissue. Have managed to pickup all of his 70s output so far.

15. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

There are times when I play Decade instead of the individual records, just to hear the songs in this sequence. Hearing Walk On, For The Turnstiles and Winterlong is a helluva 1-2-3 punch.

I could go on...

16. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

Finally watched complete London having missed it the first time. Great film! Hope it gets a proper release (with a better mix - Rick the bass player was nearly inaudible most of the time).

Heart of Gold, hodgo and andyediewatt like this.
  17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Agreed. It's easily the highlight of the album, but it was much better nad punchier live on the 2001 Euro tour. Can't recall the CSNY version.
    Ditching the Horse after the tour and attempting to make a faux soul album with half of the MGs and Poncho instead of Steve Cropper was a really bad mistake. I remember rusties trying to be enthusiastic about the album but overall it was wtf?

Rubberpigg and GregK like this.
  18. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Vote still not up, eh? :rolleyes:

19. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

I think Poncho and The MGS (who lasted for only 4 complete gigs before Neil got ill and once again changed direction) was a great live band. It's a shame they didn't do a little more together, at least on the live stage. The two Germany shows in particular feature some extraordinary performances.

Poncho and Steve Potts added some spark and punch to a band that can otherwise be a little too polished and professional with Neil. Duck Dunn was one of those bassists who could either be a superstar or the dullest guy ever, depending on what or with whom he was playing with: always reliable, not always exciting or appearing particularly engaged.

So adding the wildcard of Poncho (the one member of Crazy Horse who actually sounds even better when slotted into other bands) to the mix was an inspired choice, reminiscent of the Bluenotes and Lost Dogs era.

Neil's best music has an edge to it, and Poncho and Steve Potts added some edge to Booker T and the MGs.

The problem with Are You Passionate? as a studio album isn't that it is inauthentic. It is that it feels inauthentic. Neil once again using a musical character or stereotype to express his feelings, with the style sometimes stealing the limelight from the substance. I think it's one of those albums that will be re-evaluated, more to it than meets the eye, but I also think it struggles to hold together as a complete album, perhaps on a parallel path to the marriage it chronicles.

The band that came to life on the live stage feels a bit heavy and oppressive on the album, a bit too comfortable. It's worth another listen, I think, as there are some great moments in there for sure.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  20. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

You can vote in your head if you like, which will have roughly the same amount of impact. :D

21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I don't know. The first time I saw Neil was the 1993 Euro tour with the MG's. What impressed me most besides NY was Steve Cropper and Jim Keltner. That was a great, great band. Neither Steve nor Jim were on Are You Passionate. Just Duck Dunn, Booker and a temp drummer doesn't make it the MG's in my eyes and definitely ears.

bonus likes this.
  22. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

My favourite parts of AYP. The song ‘Differntly’ is the stand out cut. Biting guitar riff throughout. And ‘Mr. Disappointment’. Play it on its own on the good system apart from the rest of the album. It’s a cool tune. As good as a lot of the stuff on Sleeps With Angels.

bonus and Heart of Gold like this.
  23. Boswell

Boswell Forum Resident

I like quite a few of the songs on AYP. I think the title song is a stand out.
    "When I Hold You In My Arms" is a good tune. I think only a few of the R&B tunes don't work, that 911 one is a bit weak but I pretty much like everything else on its. Even the last song as a goofy Neil charm that works. Listen to it again if you haven't in a while.

davers, bonus and James Bennett like this.
  24. Heart of Gold

Added to the list Continentals 2009 and Ragged Glory extended version with extra songs.

Syscrusher and bonus like this.
  25. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

I guess The Continentals is the name of the band from that tour? Don’t think I’d heard that before.

James Bennett likes this.