Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Yes, it is. By definition.

2. RayS

Yeah, I pointlessly listened to 5 concerts I'd never heard before, and now a bunch of unreleased outtakes.

fried, JoeRockhead, m_y_t_h and 8 others like this.
  3. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

Of course not :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. RayS

exclusive - "restricted or limited to the person, group, or area concerned"

Just like a girlfriend, a track can't be in two places and be "exclusive" to either

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

Exclusive streaming on NYA = not on Spotify/Apple Music/Deezer/Amazon etc
    Exclusive download on XStream = not on iTunes/Amazon/Qobuz/HDTracks etc
    NYA + XStream exclusivity = Neil Youngs own ecosystem exclusivity
    And NYA subscribers still had a benefit by paying lower prices on XStream

EDIT: NYA streaming exclusive also means that someday things might simply become unavailable legally. Just like so many iTunes exclusive tracks from various artists that simply vanished.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  6. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Yesterday I listened to a bunch of streaming NYA music (including the amazing “Barefoot Floors”) AND downloaded an EP-sized bundle of five hi-res tracks from XStream.

I’m a walking contradiction partly truth and partly fiction.

500Homeruns likes this.
  7. m_y_t_h

m_y_t_h Forum Resident

I get that the website is a bit clunky, but it's not like it's *that* difficult to navigate.

8. gabbleratchet7

gabbleratchet7 Forum Resident

But given Neil has pulled most of his catalogue off Tidal, I’d prefer to be able to link my NYA account to Roon for everyday listening than having to use the NYA website or app for normal playback (as opposed to exploring the archive).

beetlesonique and Matthew Tate like this.
  9. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

I cancelled by subscription some time back but mainly because you had to wade through a seemingly endless quagmire of ranting politics to find talk about the music. I said to them wouldn't it be better to see the music as the front page of the Contrarian instead of having to search for it in a mess of politics. I noticed recently that they have finally done that. Now, if you want to read about politics on the music archive there is a link for 'politics' right up top. I think that's a great move.

10. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I just go to the file cabinet so I can avoid a lot of that unless there’s something specifically on the front page. Been working fine for my purposes.

11. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

the website is fine. there's the file cabinet, or the find function. it's all pretty easy.

Efus, Sigma6, qtrules and 5 others like this.
  12. m_y_t_h

m_y_t_h Forum Resident

Yeah, I don't bother much with the Times-Contrarian other than for LTE and the music-related stuff.

unclefred likes this.
  13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Neil Young: “You gotta keep changing. Shirts, old ladies, whatever.”

14. csnfan

csnfan Forum Resident

There is a part of me that actually enjoys these things leaking out 1 by 1 - You can anticipate more,enjoy them more. When Archives II was coming out, I obsessed over each preview - Pocohontas, Homefires and the live Losing End I think it was. I captured the streams and listened to them a lot. Then we got the whole bunch of Archives II, and it was kind of too much to digest. I did graft on to the CSNY stuff. I actually liked this stream from yesterday. It's 37 minutes like an album from back in the day - I captured the streams and I've listned to them 10-15 times as an LP.

Plus, some studies show we like unexpected treats more than expected ones! So I'm really enjoying this!

15. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

What an album HOMEFIRES would have been!
    I am sticking my neck out here but I think I am right in saying that not a single one of the amazing recordings from the solo/Tim Drummond "duet" sessions from June 1974 at Broken Arrow were used on official releases until just recently, with just one exception: the recording of Love Is A Rose which was used in 1977 on Decade. All the rest have only come out in the last couple of months!
    Apart from Love Is A Rose they didn't even make it onto Homegrown. But what a "lost" collection of great songs it is!
    Many have thankfully now ended up on the superb Old Homestead Disc on V2, or they were re-recorded and used later on other albums. The takes may not all have been good of course. We still don't know what some of them sounded like. But the selection of available songs is quite incredible.
    Tracks just from June 1974 sessions alone could have been

Pardon My Heart
    Barefoot Floors
    Love Is A Rose
    Love/Art Blues
    The Old Homestead
    Hawaiian Sunrise
    Homefires
    LA Girls And Ocean Boys
    Mediterranean
    maybe also Long May You Run

And if necessary Neil could have added in some wonderful tracks from the very next sessions in November/December 1974 such as
    Daughters
    Deep Forbidden Lake
    Frozen Man
    Bad News Comes To Town
    Give Me Strength
    Changing Highways

So there is one hell of an excellent album hidden away in there, and I guess that's it's basically what Homefires might have been and might still be! Neil has more or less said as much.
    I could certainly have done with it back in 1975-1976, though with Homegrown having been ditched in favour of Tonight's The Night, I guess Neil's heart just wasn't in it. But what a double album Homegrown and Homefires might have made!
    Someone needs to fact-check me here. Lot of variables and I may have missed something important.

16. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

I already have a version of Homefires sequenced! Have a look:

NEIL YOUNG - HOMEFIRES (1974)

Long May You Run (The Bottom Line)
    Greensleeves (Archives Vol. II)
    Homefires (Archives Vol. II)
    Pardon My Heart (Archives Vol. II)
    LA Girls and Ocean Boys (Archives Vol. II)
    The Old Homestead (Hawks and Doves)
    -
    Love is a Rose (Decade)
    Hawaiian Sunrise (Archives Vol. II)
    Love/Art Blues (Archives Vol. II)
    Through My Sails (Archives Vol. II)
    Barefoot Floors (NYA Bonus Track)
    Pushed It Over the End (The Bottom Line)

I would also include the 5/8 "White Line" recorded during the same session as Greensleeves, but unfortunately, the tape seems to have been lost. The album is bookended by the two live tracks, which honestly fit in pretty well with the rest of the songs. And y'all have already seen my Mediterranean essay, so... :D

17. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Altough generally the acoustic songs, which Neil records in Studio,have quality Masters, I doubt che in 1974 Neil Young could think about an acoustic album. Neil on June 74 was recording demos of new songs for a possible use in the CSNY Tour. The November acoustic recordings are again Demos of new songs planned for the band' s Nashville sessions produced by Elliot Mazer.
    Again, we don't know if Homefires will be in general fruiction, but Young writes that 17 songs and 30 takes are in consideration for the new Homefires album. These match almost perfectly the number of songs and takes from the Homegrown sessions minus the songs released on Homegrown itself. The Homefires songs are probably a mixture of electric and acoustic songs. Who knows, maybe an early Motorcycle Mama or Frozen Man recorded in Nashville or Changing Highways with a different band, etc.

18. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

I'm hoping we get to hear the second version of "Barefoot Floors" which seems likely was recorded with a band. It could be a revelation even though the solo acoustic version is sublime.

19. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

One or two corrections:
    The Pardon My Heart June recording was of course used with later Crazy Horse overdubs on Zuma.
    A CSNY take of Through My Sails from June also used on Zuma but there was a solo version as we know from V2.
    New Mama from 1972-1973 was also tried out again solo in June.

20. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

There may also be a solo version, but according to Peter Doggett's CSNY book, "With Crosby and Nash, he refined an acoustic arrangement of 'New Mama' (during the rehearsals)."

Matthew Tate and Heart of Gold like this.
  21. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

you know what's funny/a stroke of genius? programming 'hawaiian sunrise' and 'la girls and ocean boys' one after another. as i interpret the story, hawaiian sunrise was written/started as neil was going to hawaii to see carrie. la girls was written when he got home.

damn, neil.

ARK, adamos, Yorick and 7 others like this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Has the file cabinet disappeared on the mobile ap version?

Dont see it any longer.

23. ET3311

ET3311 Careful with that axe, Roy.

The cabinet was never on the app.
    The app gets "albums" instead.

24. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Really? Damn, I could have sworn it was at one time.

Yeah, reading back a few pages and exploring I see now all these new outtakes and stuff (which should have been included in the physical release anyway or at least as downloads) cant be accessed from the mobile ap. Which, imo, makes the ap half assed and pretty much a buzz kill.

Id love to listen to these outtakes and such on a walk in the park, but I guess Ill be strapped to a laptop or pc. Neil wants to be cutting edge then make it all available on the ap. Stupid imo.

ExHead likes this.
  25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Get it to work?