Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Willy J

Willy J Forum Resident

It's on the timeline buried among the other recent/upcoming releases. You can see it if you click the zoom in button on the bottom and scroll over to now.

2. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

found it.

turning off the addition releases reveals it too.

tug_of_war likes this.
  3. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

in other news, colorado is once again listed as being "official release series #050".

nothing else in NYA, besides the already released ORS discs have this numbering.

4. andyediewatt

andyediewatt Forum Resident

Deja Vū is a bloated mess and the 50th edition does nothing to change my mind. Needs more Neil less average Stills outtakes.

Rasselas, Niall1984 and JoeRockhead like this.
  5. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Well it’s such a short record that I can’t call it bloated.

But, having listened to the entirety of the demos and outtakes, I think they made the right decisions.

One thing for sure: they really were not a BAND. They sounded closest to one when Stills would rock. But then it still sounds like overdubs. CSNY doesn’t do power chords, either.

I really like Deja Vu. This deluxe edition is a bit of a snooze fest however.

JoeRockhead and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner

Are most of you here getting the next ORS boxsets? In my case I'm purely talking CD.

From the debut up to Live Rust it's nice to have them: TFA finally on CD, the original artwork included... Although soundwise the CD's that were already out before sounded good too.

But starting from This Note's For You up to Broken Arrow (and some later stuff) I've got all the CD's and it's got me thinking. Personally I don't see the need to buy these again: for me there is no need because these CD's already have original artwork since it was already made for CD too. And soundwise almost all of them sound really good, dynamic and crankable.

I guess it's only looking out for exciting SRS and PS releases for me now.

ARK and JoeRockhead like this.
  7. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

You make good points, especially for buying the cd versions. I have and will continue to buy the vinyl sets. Usually high quality pressings and reproduction that improves on the originals. Now, once they get to the 2010 and beyond albums, which is when Neil started to focus on good pressings and mastering for vinyl, I don’t see much point.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  8. slp22

slp22 Forum Resident

I saw somewhere on NYA, Neil mentioned CSNY's Fillmore set would be coming in 2022 with 4 camera video of their set? I guess it's not high on his priorities as it's absent from his tentative release schedule for the coming year. Hoping this will see the light of day in my lifetime.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

the trip to the archives video is fun to watch now. i imagine it was really tantalising to see in 2000.

was the snippet of vacancy heard when the tape was pulled added recently?

and just to confirm, the tapes are longer stored in a shed, right? my anxiety was at an 11 seeing all those tapes stored basically outside.

IHeartRecordsAz and tug_of_war like this.
  10. zuma11

zuma11 Forum Resident

The only change to Visit To The Archives video is the recent copy is at a higher resolution. Vacancy was there in 2000.

I asked about the vault location in 2019 and Neil replied,

"The vault now is in Hollywood and Oxnard. Broken Arrow Ranch original vault is cleaned out and is gone."

11. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

Some more letters posted today:
    • He is thinking about releasing timeline concerts on CD
    • Interstate from Ragged Glory Sessions will be up 'very soon'
    • Erfurt 2001 show is in production (perhaps as a Timeline concert?)
    • He will look for the CSNY version of Long May You Run
    • The Muddy Track soundtrack could be a NYA Record (whatever that means)
    • They are still looking for the Philadelphia master

laf848, ARK, supermd and 4 others like this.
  12. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

He wasn't interested in an earlier suggestion to sell the Timeline concerts as digital downloads. That seems easier than going through the CD production cycle.

13. cosplusisin

cosplusisin Forum Resident

That is exciting!

I'm guessing he just means making an album of the music in the film?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Honestly, it sounds like he already has the CSNY Decade version of “Long May You Run”on NYA. It definitely sounds like the copy of it that I have, at least.

csnfan and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. IHeartRecordsAz

I should also add that, in regards to “Interstate,” he also says that it “originated” as a Ragged Glory outtake, which is incorrect (he played it many times with the International Harvesters) and contradicts his previous statement that it would make an appearance on Volume III.

lp_zep and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

He just writes maybe

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. TheBabbo

TheBabbo Forum Resident

He means that the version released in connection with the Broken Arrow album was originally from the Ragged Glory sessions.

18. IHeartRecordsAz

Ah that makes sense.

19. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Disagree. Stills was on fire.

20. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

The reissue "Live At Vicar Street" DVD is exactly the same, same disc authoring, as the one released with the Greendale studio album in 2003. The only difference is the cover artwork, disc artwork and paper credits card. I like the new MAZZEO artwork!

Heart of Gold likes this.
  21. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

Déjà Vu 50 Suppression
    I raised with NYA Support the fact that DV50 is not showing in the IOS mobile app in the Albums list, that the only access on the app is via the Timeline. Also that the link on the front of the cabinet on the Home page leads to the original DV not to DV50. (The tiny arrows left and right which do in fact lead to the other DV50 discs are so small I never even noticed them!)
    Their reply certainly suggests that this is all totally intentional and that there are no plans to change it.
    Innaresting that Neil not only withdrew his other songs but clearly only considers the original and the remastered version of the original a Neil album and is not going to be at all flexible on this, even if it is at the expense of promoting DV50. Presumably he gets a cut of the take nevertheless. I wonder what discussions took place.
    By the way, I was also told that the songs now playing via the original DV on NYA are the new remastered versions.

22. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

While I agree that the integration of discs 2-4 is a bit stupid and I also didn't find them initially, it seems to me that it's more a poor interface design choice (like so much on NYA) and not a dissociation from the content of the box. Also, Deja Vu Alternates is still part of his official 'upcoming releases' list: Neil Young Archives

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  23. Releasing the Timeline shows on CD could be part of the Official Bootleg Series or a new Timeline Series.Either way I hope it happens.Seems an easy way to monetise their work on these.

ARK, ET3311, SteveFff and 1 other person like this.
  24. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

While I understand the difference in concept between the “bootleg series” and timeline concerts, they are still essentially full live shows from the archive. Seems like it be would make things easier to just combine those in a series with a similar release rollout and under the same title. Not my archive though, just my 2 cents.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

One difference that seems apparent so far is that The Bootleg Series is focusing on very old shows and will be released in all formats and the Timeline Concerts are mostly skewing towards more recent shows and at this point are only available to stream.

Time length considerations could be a decisive factor. All the Bootleg Series releases seem to fit on a single or double LP so far. Some of those Timeline Concerts are 3 hours long. Im not so sure there'd be a huge market for multiple 5LP or 3Cd sets of 2013 tour shows.

For me I'd really like these two to be very seperate things. I love the idea of the physical releases for some highly sought after archival shows in the Bootleg Series. But I also love the ease and flexibility provided by the Timeline Concerts which should allow a much wider amount of material to be released at a much quicker pace.

ET3311, adamos, EwaWoowa and 3 others like this.