Neil Young Launches Online Archives (1st December 2017)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Defrance, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Efus

Efus Senior Member

First world problems and all, but I know the SHF loves a ripping conversation on new product delivery....

So I pre-order Carnegie 70 from the WB/Greedy Hand site.
    In the e-mail reciept, it warns because of Covid, my delivery may take longer than expected.
    Why?

I can pretty much guarantee you my local retailer will have it on day of release, or the day after.
    So why can't Warners start shipping out a week early, knowing the US postal service issues the last couple years, to satisfy customers who purchased via their website?

This would seem to be an easy demand from Neil and other Warners artists, if they really cared.
    New product ordered through artists websites WILL be in the hands of my fans on or before release date.
    Imo, thats called taking care of your customers/fans.

Going to be very interested to see when this vinyl arrives to me on the east coast of the US.

unclefred likes this.
  2. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

this could have something to do with it.

The shipping crisis is getting worse. Here's what that means for holiday shopping

ARK and Efus like this.
  3. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I get it.
    But in business, you make adjustments.
    Tax laws change, Warners would be all over it.
    So with product delivery, Id expect the same sort of diligence.

The European store had issues, Neil said they'd look into it, and make adjustments.
    Its not just Warners, Im a bit tired of lip service and no follow through,
    as Im being ghosted by some local businesses who I'm trying to give my money to.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

at the end of the article it says that hasbro is using more shipping partners to get product out, so it would seem companies are trying to make adjustments.

the issue with adjustments is they cost money and they cost has to go somewhere.

pay an inflated price for a product now? or wait a little longer for a more sustainable/reasonable price?

JoeRockhead, Efus and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Being at the end of the world where shipments take 3-5 weeks to arrive from overseas and a lot of things I want to get are never released locally I am bemused by people getting upset that things aren’t in their hands until a few days after release.

ARK, Timjosephuk, EricSwan and 4 others like this.
  6. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

While I believe delays in shipping are generally related to Covid, it's for different reasons than in early 2020.
    I'm involved in the shipping business in a peripheral way and I believe--and have had my theories confirmed by those whose pay grade is WELL above mine--that the lock downs not only got consumers used to ordering nearly everything online, it also led to the last holdouts--generally older people who didn't know how to order on line or who preferred in person shopping--learning how to-- getting comfortable with --the concept.
    At least here in the USA where we are used to fast service.

But I think there are other issues unique to vinyl. Too may albums are being released on vinyl in multiple colors and designs and in different quantities and it has to be a drag on the pressing plants.

So blaming delays on Covid is still the easy default position.

bigal00769 and Alan57 like this.
  7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Door Dash have gotten into the product delivery game here as well.

Efus likes this.
  8. ECK

ECK Forum Resident

Summary for the impatient: an "immigrant fella w/a lisp" is working on a Sunday night, while Efus is "watching the football game and drinking beer" and their family is moaning about getting packages delivered early.

ARK, Timjosephuk, Moth and 9 others like this.
  9. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Let's all take a break with Neil & Carrie...
    [​IMG]

steelinYaThighs and ET3311 like this.
  10. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Yes, but it might not be be “ Efus” and his family. It could very well be the more upscale , wine- sipping Ethan and Emily and friends, accustomed to prompt delivery from the proles, foreign and domestic, and increasingly vexed by the poor service of late...

ET3311 likes this.
  11. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I knew going in that pre-ordering from Neil might lead to the scenario you mention. I pre-ordered from Neil anyway.

unclefred likes this.
  12. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

You've apparently irritated the wing dings with you reasonable question.

13. bournefree

bournefree Forum Resident

It's all gone very quiet on here.....
    As the Thread was talking about Shipping Problems etc. recently I will add that I received a CD Box Set ( Not Neil ) , 59 Hours after the Dispatch e - mail.....From Japan to the UK...
    59 Hours....So the System still works.

ARK, Timjosephuk, unclefred and 3 others like this.
  14. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

That's standard procedure. It's a generic sentence you have in most orders from any online shop nowadays, "just in case".
    Nothing to worry about, imho.

I ordered the Archive II book last week.
    I received it just one week later, which, from the U.S.A. to France is quite stunning !

ARK likes this.
  15. Harm1985

Harm1985 Forum Resident

A bunch of letters posted on August 31st.

One by myself, asking Neil if they could post the full Canterbury House 68, Riverboat 60, Fillmore east 1970, Cellar Door 1970 and both Massey Hall concerts as timeline concerts. Of course Neil said, they would think about it. The reason I asked for it is because of course Canterbury house 69, which we now have in full as a timeline concert and they are likely considering to release a 'highlights' CD /2LP.

One asking for a DVD of a 1976 concert in the US, with a similar reply.

One very long letter about Neil's guitar tuning prior to 1971, was met with an answer along the lines of: before I played a harp I tuned by ear, after that no longer.

Matthew Tate and ET3311 like this.
  16. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

cowgirl in the sand, cut from 'way down in the rust bucket', is now on NYA as an outtake!

17. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

to me, the edit sounds fine. the loss of the 3rd verse isn’t a big deal. the energy and power of the song are all intact. i’m glad the song has made an appearance.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  18. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Forum Resident

In the last month I have ordered three items CD and DVD's from the European Store and received delivery within two working days,
    one item took three days from order but that was due to the Bank Holiday week-end.
    So I'm sure delivery problems have been sorted out, packages sent from Daventry, NN11. UK.

19. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

So, it appears the 3 Canterbury shows are now only accessible to Rust and Patron subscribers….. ?

No longer accessible to Classic subscribers, like me.

Bummer. I was listening just a week ago, or so. Is this a mistake, by chance?

P.S.

The only reason I’ve not upped to Rust is, my “computer” is an iPad, and a lot of the functions still are not available in an iPad. Guess I’ll upgrade soon!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Sorry to hear that. I can confirm that they work on Patron level.

21. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

the concert timeline has always been a rust or above feature. i believe shows are offered to lower level subscribers for a week or two when they first come out.

22. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

The "Concert of the Week" is either history or on hiatus.

Tom Daniels and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

Got it thanks. Yeah, I need to upgrade!

It’s hard to keep up with NYA. So much amazing stuff!

JoeRockhead likes this.
  24. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I think it is just the sheer volume of business that is overwhelming the few pressing plants that exist. Is colored vinyl the issue. or just not enough places to press records?

25. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Speaking of timeline concerts, I was not aware there is a second show from 2013 - 3/9 and 3/13 are both up there. Is one of those new? Either way, now I know what I am doing for the next 2 hours!