Neil Young- News and Discussion.*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vinyl13, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Other vegetarian artists have managed to make the venues sell only vegetarian food. Am I wrong in thinking he could do the same?

Matthew Tate and RoyalPineapple like this.
  2. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I’d say your bang on. Neil’s bug burger joint coming to a venue soon.

3. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

It seems what Young is concerned about more than going vegetarian is avoiding factory farmed food. Vegetarian (especially lacto-ovo vegetarian) is often factory farmed food.

4. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

Ok so a vegan diet should be ok and not impossible to negotiate with a tour promoter.
    I just have a feeling that he might have issues with the general idea of touring, which may be understandable for a person of his age.

5. Sean

Sean Senior Member

This will be 50 years old since its release come October...
    Current play...
    Neil Young - Time Fades Away (1973) - reissue
    [​IMG]

6. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Speaking of Time Fades Away...I've always thought it kind of weird there isnt footage anywhere from that tour. We know from Shakey at least one camera was used by Neil's team nightly operated by Denny Purcell, presumably this was so the guys in the recording truck could view what was happening on stage. No idea if this feed was ever recorded, but with Neil being such a prolific recorder and archiver of his career and having a fascination with film and footage in the time period leading up to this tour while making the movie Journey Through The Past it does seem odd he would have let the opportunity to record this feed pass.

But even aside from Neil's team, it's kind of surprising there is no fan made 8mm film or news crew 16mm film. This was a major tour by the artist who had the best selling non compilation album of 1972. Other major touring acts in 72 and 73 have 8mm and 16mm footage out there like Zeppelin, The Who and The Stones playing in similar venues. It's strange to me Neil played as many shows as he did in venues as large as he did and as far as I know not a single second of footage circulates. Meanwhile on the audio front this tour has fan recordings as representitive as any other large act at this time.

7. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i believe there’s a part in shakey about the footage. shows were taped but that film is long gone.

adam_777 likes this.
  8. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

I'm curious why would the footage be long gone? Neil was clearly actively archiving his career by this point. Like why would that footage vanish when other footage from the general time frame like Harvest Time and home videos of Santa Monica Flyers would be kept?

9. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i will have to look for the quote in the book.

adam_777 likes this.
  10. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Maybe they’ve looked and it’s lost. Similar to the tapes of Buffalo Springfield live in the studio recorded for the TV show Mannix. They could be long gone, too, meaning either they are buried somewhere impossible to find, or they were wiped/tossed.

There are holes in the NY Archives. For example, I don’t think there are any multitrack recordings of the NYCH Northern California Coastal Bar Tour of late 1975.

11. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Oh for sure there are gaps, but something like the 1975 bar tour was it recorded at all? I just assume they probably didnt record that and that's why it's missing. Also in regards to the Mannix stuff that was before Neil would have had control of the material so it doesnt surprise me lots from that era might have ended up god knows where. But from early in his solo career Neil was thankfully both prolific and fairly diligent about documenting and filing material. Obviously a single cam view of a TFA show would not have been considered for potential release back in the 70's but obviously now there exists outlets for that kind of material. Perhaps because it was deemed commercially unviable Neil might have been careless with how it was kept.

Of course that's just the official end of things. Nothing would prevent fan made films from turning up but none do and I find that fascinating. In the Zeppelin community a ton of 8mm fan films have shown up over the years literally from the early days of their career until the end. And just Bout every month a new one still will turn up. There is literally hours and hours of fan shot 8mm footage of them in the 70's. But 8mm film of Neil in the 70s seems almost non existent and that's interesting to me especially since audio recordings are fairly common. Did Neil's fans not consider the visual aspect as important as other fanbases or maybe the effort to track down that kind of footage hasnt been made in the Neil Young community as it has in other fanbases?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
    Twinge Crispy and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i reread the time fades away chapter of shakey. can’t seem to find where it says what happened to the film. i may have misremembered where i read it.

adam_777 likes this.
  13. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Yeah I do remember that part of Shakey. I even asked Neil about it and he daid he'd check with Denny. Denny had died almost two decades earlier though so obviously a dead end. But yeah Shakey didnt confirm if the footage was ever recorded or if it had been lost. I'd be interested to know if you can find confirmation on where you did read that!

I swear, I see all these people winning trips to tropical vacations and stuff. I wish I could win a week long vacation to Neil's archive just to pour through it and see once and for all just what the hell is or isnt there.

14. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

There is an interview with Micah Nelson in the February edition of Austin Lifestyle in which he is quoted as saying he might be touring in the summer with Neil and Crazy Horse. I can’t imagine this is based only on wishful thinking, but maybe we shouldn’t make the Horse shy by overreacting… Hard not to though…
    Thanks to Curt Springman for the tip.
    Austin Lifestyle February 2023

Crispy Rob and Twinge Crispy like this.
  15. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

Talbot and Molina are in their 80's. We'll see.

16. Rasselas

Rasselas “Neil Young Unreleased - NYU” on Facebook

That won’t stop the Horse. Horse Years are like Dog Years. Divide by 7. Or maybe only by 3 now.

ARK, Twinge Crispy and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Looks like ol Neil got out and played some songs for a crowd today. Brief clip of “sugar mountain” posted on his IG story. Looks like some sort of benefit for saving old growth trees. Someone is singing harmony but they’re not shown.

ET3311 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

News report says he played “Comes a Time” and “Heart of Gold”. Harmony singer apparently Daryl.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Yeah I meant “comes a time”. From what I heard, DH did a nice job on harmonies.

RayS likes this.
  20. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

jamesmaya, adamos, eelkiller and 5 others like this.
  21. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Leugi

Leugi Forum Resident

Awesome Neil!

23. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

Save the trees!! It's our planet and it's our air.

24. davers

davers Forum Resident

Not there yet, but they're both pushing 80 this year.

25. davers

davers Forum Resident

This reminds me of the Rally for Ancient Forests benefit Neil did almost exactly 30 years ago in Portland, Oregon (April 1, 1993).

It was a free show in riverfront park timed to benefit with President Clinton's visit regarding a conference on old growth forest policy. Neil did "Comes A Time" and "Heart of Gold" plus a handful of others.

The show had a full line-up in addition to Neil including David Crosby, Carol King, Kenny Loggins, Phish, Ann & Nancy Wilson (aka The Lovemongers) and a handful of others.