Neil Young records new album with Crazy Horse-"Americana" due June 5*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Les Nougat, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

:laugh:
    Will there be a vinyl release of this announcement?

2. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

:righton::thumbsup: :winkgrin:

3. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

The song is called "Going Home" and the version on AYP is pale compared to the live treatment by Crazy Horse.

Exactly! You've always got to make your own mind up when it comes to music!

4. Great! It's been 9 years since their last album together, longest time ever between 2 NY+CH albums. I hope this leads to another tour as well.

5. Les Nougat

Les Nougat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Whoops! You are quite correct. I meant Goin' Home - the version from the Fuji Rock Festival in 2001 is amazing as are the other Toast songs he plays.

6. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I totally agree. It's the last album Neil made that I really really dig. And the live shows from that period, at Princeton Landing, are my favorite Neil ever.

7. GregK

GregK I'm speechless

Broken Arrow is a great album, and it's very significant for them- they were playing David off, sending him on his way with that album. It's also one of Neil's best sounding records.

8. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Yes, David's death was bad news in 1995 because he really managed to push Crazy Horse to their limits.

I also agree that Broken Arrow sounds great. I love to crank it and do that quite often - much to my neighbours' chagrin:D

9. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

See, now I loved and still love Broken Arrow. Listened to it endlessly when it came out, along with the Year of the Horse live set. I never had a chance to see NY/CH live, last time they came to Calgary, I was a young and broke (played the Saddledome). I substituted missing that show with watching Year of the Horse in the theatre 3 times.

I would love another Horse tour, and would travel to see it, and as long as they play loud and heavy, I'll be happy. As to whether they'll make another great album, well some people thinks everything after Everybody Knows... is crap. So there you are.

10. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Funny guy. It will come in 3 formats.

Though, speaking of vinyl, I think NY is one of the rare major label acts to have consistently put out all of his albums on vinyl, even in the darkest days of the mid-late 90s, when all others were cd only. Even though they were all pressed from digital masters, it's nice to know that he still cared about the format. Now if only I had bought them when they came out instead of opting for the cheaper cd version.

11. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Yeah, exactly - and even when some of the music has been great, lyrics have been painfully lacking

12. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Really don't care about new music. Just get out on tour and kick somes AZZ!

13. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Like the rest of you guys I hope this latest announcement is all-analog. His announcements in the digital domain are totally lacking.

Like this lossy, jitter-plagued announcement (via Rolling Stone in 2008):

Ah, I can still remember the late Noughties; the air was magic when they played...

14. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Everyone get your *** to neilyoung.com right now, the new album is streaming!!!!

15. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

16. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

I hear this is a definite.

17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Thanks!

18. fourfeathers

Definitely some tasty jams. Might not be the new album, but definitely worth watching/listening.

Leave it to Neil to put out new stuff on a Saturday morning...

19. Efus

Efus Senior Member

37 minute tape, takes you on a comprehensive tour of the recording facility.
    First 18 1/2 minutes is a jam, after that winds down, the band starts into "Cortez the Killer" with a Neil vocal on it, last 5 minutes it slowly raves up a bit.

Camera comes across 3 sets of yellow legal pads, with titles, lyrics, chord sequences for the new songs they're working on.

All closeups of the studio equipment, instruments, Studer multi-channel tape playback machine, and other stuff in the control room and the recording studio.

20. fourfeathers

Speaking of rave-ups, I loved the one at around the ten-minute mark. Damn, the Horse is back!

21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

what? No Trains?:winkgrin:

22. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

Thank you for this, sounds great to me!

23. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Nope, but just about everything else, but the players themselves!

Close ups of all the instruments, even one on a repair bench, the various amplifers, a fireplace, a bunch of consoles, even the backs of them.

Neil's got quite a set up out there, thats for sure, tons of vintage equipment.

24. rsauer

rsauer Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up!

25. fourfeathers

I'd be cool dropping ten grand to jam in that basement.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.