Neil Young : Songs For Judy

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr-Beagle, Oct 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

No way this is from cassette. It's Boston, which as stated earlier in the thread was recorded by Dave Hewitt. The intro rap and "Mr. Soul" to the end of the album are presumably all new mixes

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  2. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

From the multitrack

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Don't like art design. Here's me thinking it's Still's old flame.

picassoson and rogertheshrubber like this.
  4. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Never been a fan of Judy Garland, but I do much like this jacket's design. Considering what Neil spoke this is an appropriate album title. My all time fave Neil album jacket is Time Fades Away which was taken by Joel Bernstein who bears a lot of the credit for the coming Judy release.

Sean, EricSwan, Efus and 1 other person like this.
  5. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

A good representation of the electric show circulates from The Wolfgang's Vault, Boston Late Show recorded by Dave Hewitt on multis. The bootleg from the Chicago show is probably from audio cassettes.

6. ExHead

ExHead Forum Resident

Glad to see this thread is here so I don’t have to check the Thrashers Wheat blog. That guy is really getting irritating with his all-knowing holier-than-thou attitude.

Sean, JoeF., Wild Frank and 2 others like this.
  7. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Thats where the angle of "The Bernstein Tapes" comes in.
    These performances were selected as the best, by Bernstein and Cameron Crowe just as a momento of them palling around on that leg of Neil's tour.
    The tapes used to compile those "Tapes" were recorded at Bernstein's guitar tech station via soundboard patch.
    After much debate, they came up with a tracklist and sequence.

The new release ignores their random sequencing, favoring a chronological sequence of the songs.
    The last 3 shows of the November '76 run, NY, Boston, Atlanta, consisting of the second 1/2 the album are from the multis.
    Its unknown the source of tracks 2-7 on the new release, they maybe taken from a mono soundboard source.
    Bernstein says that the bootlegged source of "TJB Tapes" sounds like about a 3rd generation tape copy.

Neil and company did a lot of recording and filming in 1976.
    2 nights at Budokan, 4 at Hammersmith, both recorded and filmed in March.
    Last 8 shows, NY, Boston, Atlanta, recorded at the end of a month of shows in November.

Sean, LonesomeDayBlues, JoeF. and 5 others like this.
  8. teag

teag Forum Resident

Wow - I was at one of the Boston Music Hall shows with my brother. Had to be the early show. Should be a great album.

Sean, Frittenköter, Efus and 2 others like this.
  9. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Whew! :)

10. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Agree, love the TFA cover.

Not digging Judy cover though.
    Its the 21st century version of Landing On Water, a decent pastel pencil interpretation of Garland copped from a photo.
    Doesnt seem to fit in with the simple art of past Archives releases.

I think this was more about getting the Mrs. involved......:hide:

Sean, ExHead and CCrider92 like this.
  11. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I get the complaint that this is yet another acoustic live release. However, I look at this as a continuation of the chronology of acoustic releases for the Performance Series. You’ve got what...68, 69, 70, 71, not sure TFA acoustic songs will ever see the light of day from 73. Next up would be 1976, either JapanEurope tour or late 76 US (which was a make up for the promoters screwed over when Neil bailed on Stills Young Tour).

I for one am interested as this is kind of a culmination of the stoned/coked out of his brain singer songwriter genius era of 1975/76. The live interation of Hitchhiker Neil.

He’d stay up 48 straight hours to get from the Nov 76 Atlanta shows to The Last Waltz. That’s the Neil we get here. Crazed Neil. He’s said himself that he’s surprised he didn’t do himself in during this period. David Briggs said of this period that songs were just pouring out of Neil. To many, 1975/76 is Neil at his artistic peak. Nice to see documentation of that besides boots.

After the Last Waltz, you get a Neil who is starting to take stock: Stars N Bars (a bit of a stop gap), Decade, the adult Comes A Time and the game changing Rust Tour and LPs.

As for Crazy Horse, NY has so much lined up to go, I think we will see a similar narrative for that band. 2019 is 50th Anniversary for NYCH. I’m happy to wait for what’s coming with Songs For Judy.

12. teag

teag Forum Resident

The morality lectures continue.

The music is good. That’s what’s important here.

Sean, conjotter, lucan_g and 2 others like this.
  13. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Yes, I think your last point is quite valid.

14. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

15. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

If it’s got a performance series number, I’m in!

Mike McMann likes this.
  16. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Not anymore. "Currently unavailable". Typical amazon.ca, hilarious how often they do this.

17. Jack

Jack Senior Member

I ordered thru Bull Moose.

18. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Bull Moose is unavailable to Canada.

19. Dave Gilmour's Cat

While I like the title and cover, it’s not in the style of the PS at all.

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  20. PeterGriffin

PeterGriffin Forum Resident

And the boot sounds horrible

Heart of Gold likes this.
  21. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

[​IMG]

Since you people decided you don't like the artwork, I used my (definately limited) designing skills to try and make a more authentic NY cover for it! :D

22. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

If you haven't heard the "Here We Are In The Years" on this one, you're missing out.

I've always liked this compilation.

23. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Then you probably have a really bad copy.
    Other than over the top tape hiss, easy to dial back, I think it sounds pretty great.
    When I was collecting Neil shows, the Bernstein Tapes was found on just about everybody's trading list, and it wasn't because it sucked soundwise.

Sean, Pawnmower, ExHead and 2 others like this.
  24. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Don’t you believe in supporting the artist? Plus, the sound quality will surely be better, won’t it?

Frittenköter and Pawnmower like this.
  25. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Sure, and Neil has plenty of my money.
    The appeal of this release for me is the vinyl.

And yes, the sq will be better for sure because at least 1/2 of it is from multi-track masters, and not a 3rd generation mono soundboard patch.
    You could check it out yourself on YT, and compare whats there from the original compilation, to the track from the new album thats been released.
    Its not horrible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.